Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best DRIVESHAFT?

Old 04-28-06, 10:34 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best DRIVESHAFT?

I am currently looking into reducing some weight on my drive train and can't decide which driveshaft to get, Alluminum, Carbon Fiber, etc... Anyone have any experience on this? What will weigh the least and last the longest without getting out of balance or snapping? Anyone... I am thinking Alluminum over the stock steel shaft....
Old 04-28-06, 11:14 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

light weight and still reliable at nothing over 600rwhp, i'm thinking those 11lb aluminum single piece driveshafts should work nicely
Old 04-28-06, 03:09 PM
jibbby

Yeap my thoughts too...Carbon Fiber is too costly...I just got in contact with perhaps the largest Drive Shaft maker in Southern California and am waiting for some price quotes for alluminum shafts... I will post my finds...
Old 04-28-06, 03:18 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

how much whp can be picke up off a aluminum driveshaft? 3%?
Old 04-28-06, 04:40 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

shouldn't cost you more than ~$250.
Old 04-28-06, 06:14 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running a diff. tranny or alot of power? Is this just to save weight on a stock car?
Old 04-28-06, 06:32 PM
jibbby

I am always planning to run more power and reduce weight... 11lb alluminum driveshaft compared to what a 40lb,50lb, 60lb stock steel driveshaft should make a little difference in performance, maybe 3% maybe more who knows?...It's always a combination of alot of things like light weight rims, driveshaft etc...that eventually makes a noticeable difference...I know it will be a nice addition for three reasons weight reduction, performance, and more driveshaft strength capacity...so I ask you guys why not?

Last edited by jibbby; 04-29-06 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-28-06, 06:35 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

The stock DS is not very heavy, if you are looking for a durable it will weigh probably the same. I just think its alot of trouble, but good luck and keep us updated
Old 04-29-06, 02:02 AM
Arizona
Lead Lap

the drive shaft weighs much less than 40lbs, exact number i dont know but id say no more than 25lbs
Old 04-29-06, 03:15 PM
jibbby

I was just holding that stock driveshaft the other day and it feels like around 35lbs-45lbs I could be wrong...I should weigh it...Like I said it is a very mild mod and don't expect to feel anything, it can only help and not hurt..Well, maybe hurt the bank account. a little..Anyway, I posted this thread to gather as much info about driveshaft applications for the SC that I can find..Was hoping for real weight comparisons and or actual noted performance results from the change...

From what I am hearing and have heard weight reduction on the drive train is big, as opposed to weight reduction from the car it's self... What is it a 20%-30% HP difference between dyno's that are measured at the wheels as apposed to the crank...simply said the engine works hard to move and rotate these heavy moving parts... Also, I believe alluminum weighs alot less then half the weight of steel in regards to the same volume mass between the two.... So by reducing the driveshaft weight by more then 50% and adding strength as well has got to be a good thing....

Last edited by jibbby; 04-29-06 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-29-06, 03:28 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

I would guess you have an ~18% loss. If you get a solid al driveshaft you may save several pounds, but I highly doubt even 10lbs.. I have had 2 modified DS failures, and previously some vibrations at high speeds. You wanted opinions, don't bother with this. Get lightweight wheels, breakes, flywheel etc. dont touch the DS.
Old 04-29-06, 04:46 PM
jibbby

Redsupra -Yes, those are the opinions I am looking for, thank you.. Can I ask what caused the two driveshafts to fail on you, were they alluminum? Did they break from to much horsepower, or did they become out of balance over time and fail...

So what I am hearing is that an alluminum driveshaft replacement on the sc400 is not a good idea and maybe I can drop 10lbs tops and not notice any power improvements and most likely will have it fail on me in time?...Are those assumptions correct? If so I will not do it.....

Lextreme.com forum like Dave the owner is trying now to produce alluminum DriveShaft replacements for his customers.. Why are they so bad?

I always thought automatic trannies lose a little more then 18% and I always thought manual tranny's always lose less at the dyno's? This is an SC400 Lexus I am talking about altering the Driveshaft on and not a Supra TT manual 6 speed or SC300 manual. The SC400's do not have a heavy steel flywheel but rather a super light weight setup at stock....No mod needed for that....

Thanks for the responses..I do appreciate any info you can offer...

Last edited by jibbby; 04-29-06 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-30-06, 09:30 AM
JoshFSM
Pole Position

Im doing a 6spd swap in my car right now, and using a Driveshaft Shop Aluminum 1pc(http://www.driveshaftshop.com/item158844.ctlg) as well as a lightened flywheel. Im curious to know how much of an effect this will have, and will keep yall posted.

Last edited by JoshFSM; 04-30-06 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-30-06, 11:22 AM
jibbby

$800 for an alluminum driveshaft !!!! WOW that is pricey you should shop for a better deal......
Old 04-30-06, 12:11 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jibbby
Redsupra -Yes, those are the opinions I am looking for, thank you.. Can I ask what caused the two driveshafts to fail on you, were they alluminum? Did they break from to much horsepower, or did they become out of balance over time and fail...

So what I am hearing is that an alluminum driveshaft replacement on the sc400 is not a good idea and maybe I can drop 10lbs tops and not notice any power improvements and most likely will have it fail on me in time?...Are those assumptions correct? If so I will not do it.....

Lextreme.com forum like Dave the owner is trying now to produce alluminum DriveShaft replacements for his customers.. Why are they so bad?

I always thought automatic trannies lose a little more then 18% and I always thought manual tranny's always lose less at the dyno's? This is an SC400 Lexus I am talking about altering the Driveshaft on and not a Supra TT manual 6 speed or SC300 manual. The SC400's do not have a heavy steel flywheel but rather a super light weight setup at stock....No mod needed for that....

Thanks for the responses..I do appreciate any info you can offer...
First DS failed at the track, next failed on the street at a very high speed. Both caused alot of damge, and frustration. This was when I had a 6-speed, and neither were al.. Ive been told I have someone where around a 25% loss through a TH400 with a unlocked convertor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best DRIVESHAFT?