Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

cheap FMIC piping na-t idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 05:55 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cheap FMIC piping na-t idea

Has anyone seen any 2JZ-GE NA-T intercooler piping with a FMIC like this?:

This buick style FMIC could be mounted sideways (wihtout that silver duct) and since the inlet and outlet are on the same side, it would greatly reduce piping length, unnecessary piping volume, and cost. (this buick style fmic is a precision one rated at 750hp)

Old 04-25-06, 08:23 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

That small thing can support 750hp?

Btw that technically wouldnt be a FMIC either because it would be sitting in the engine bay wouldnt it.
Old 04-25-06, 08:38 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
That small thing can support 750hp?

Btw that technically wouldnt be a FMIC either because it would be sitting in the engine bay wouldnt it.
Yes, it can support 750hp. AND it can be used in a front mount location in front of the radiator, thus being a FMIC. Similar to the MKIII supra fmic:

Like this, but the Red piping would replace that long cold side piping:

Last edited by dejacky; 04-26-06 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-26-06, 09:46 PM
Grey Ghost
Driver School Candidate

Hey dejacky, is that a pic of your car? That's a clean, simple setup. Read your turbo setup thread and was interesting and informative. Couple questions about your setup. What was your cost for DaveH's fabrications? Any problems with the metal shield that got in the way of your wastegate and the fitting problem of the manifold? Was it a picture of a high-flow cat on the previous thread? Overall response of going 3 inches instead of 4 inches all around? I can't think of any more questions but I do have few more that I would like to ask, but I feel like I might be bugging you. Any help would be aprreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-26-06, 10:15 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
Hey dejacky, is that a pic of your car? That's a clean, simple setup. Read your turbo setup thread and was interesting and informative. Couple questions about your setup. What was your cost for DaveH's fabrications? Any problems with the metal shield that got in the way of your wastegate and the fitting problem of the manifold? Was it a picture of a high-flow cat on the previous thread? Overall response of going 3 inches instead of 4 inches all around? I can't think of any more questions but I do have few more that I would like to ask, but I feel like I might be bugging you. Any help would be aprreciated. Thanks.
Yes,
that is my car, but I'm going to switch to the posted FMIC idea..i think it will be a very efficient and economical FMIC solution and be much more plug & play compared to the traditional LONG fmic na-t piping setup. The piping on my car is not daveH fabricated..it was done by a local shop. I do not know the cost for this fabrication since many things were performed at once. I bent that engine mount metal shield (with a rubber hammer) so the wastegate does not touch it and everything fits perfectly. If you read my entire thread thoroughly, you'd see that NO ONE ELSE WILL HAVE FITMENT PROBLEMS WITH THE DAVEH MANIFOLD BECAUSE THEY REVISED THE DESIGN AFTER THE FIRST NA-T MANIFOLD (mine) to make sure it WORKS ON ALL CARS PERFECTLY Personally, I felt that 3 inch piping is plenty for my power goals, it's easier to install and attach exhaust to, and it came with the kit so there was no need for 4 inch piping.
Old 04-26-06, 10:42 PM
Grey Ghost
Driver School Candidate

Hahahaha, yare absolutely right. Being 17 pages long, I didn't read through as you said. Thanks for your kindly info. I was contemplating to fabricate 4 inch piping but I will try 3 inch first. I will for sure have some left over 3 inch pipes afer my brother is done with his AE86. I am shooting somewhere between mid to high 300hp. After reading this thread, I will be sure to check out my local junkyard and keep my eyes on those Buicks. My brother was going to use ebay greddy knockoff FMIC on his car but he is considering the TT or Buick IC (It looks like an oversized oil cooler, something you'll see in a heavy duty trucks and it hides well!!!). Will keep your previous thread handy when starting my project. Thanks.

Originally Posted by dejacky
Yes,
that is my car, but I'm going to switch to the posted FMIC idea..i think it will be a very efficient and economical FMIC solution and be much more plug & play compared to the traditional LONG fmic na-t piping setup. The piping on my car is not daveH fabricated..it was done by a local shop. I do not know the cost for this fabrication since many things were performed at once. I bent that engine mount metal shield (with a rubber hammer) so the wastegate does not touch it and everything fits perfectly. If you read my entire thread thoroughly, you'd see that NO ONE ELSE WILL HAVE FITMENT PROBLEMS WITH THE DAVEH MANIFOLD BECAUSE THEY REVISED THE DESIGN AFTER THE FIRST NA-T MANIFOLD (mine) to make sure it WORKS ON ALL CARS PERFECTLY Personally, I felt that 3 inch piping is plenty for my power goals, it's easier to install and attach exhaust to, and it came with the kit so there was no need for 4 inch piping.
Old 04-26-06, 11:19 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
Hahahaha, yare absolutely right. Being 17 pages long, I didn't read through as you said. Thanks for your kindly info. I was contemplating to fabricate 4 inch piping but I will try 3 inch first. I will for sure have some left over 3 inch pipes afer my brother is done with his AE86. I am shooting somewhere between mid to high 300hp. After reading this thread, I will be sure to check out my local junkyard and keep my eyes on those Buicks. My brother was going to use ebay greddy knockoff FMIC on his car but he is considering the TT or Buick IC (It looks like an oversized oil cooler, something you'll see in a heavy duty trucks and it hides well!!!). Will keep your previous thread handy when starting my project. Thanks.
Keep your eyes on this thread "homey." a kit just like the one specified is in the works and should be complete in a few weeks for the public .