Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help!! Bad gass maybe??My car stalls everytime I stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 03:46 PM
lexyroo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Bad gass maybe??My car stalls everytime I stop

My car has been running fine. I stop and put in 1/4 tank of premium gas and now everytime I stop the car stalls and I have to restart the car and keep the rpm up and quickly switch to drive to keep the car running. Would anyome know what is going on? In the past I would occasionally a engine hesitation but it would go away after a while. If it is bad gas how do I correct the problem?
Old 04-24-06, 03:50 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by lexyroo
My car has been running fine. I stop and put in 1/4 tank of premium gas and now everytime I stop the car stalls and I have to restart the car and keep the rpm up and quickly switch to drive to keep the car running. Would anyome know what is going on? In the past I would occasionally a engine hesitation but it would go away after a while. If it is bad gas how do I correct the problem?
check your fuel filter. fuel pump, and fuel pump ECU. when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

To keep the car from stalling out when you stop, shift to N before you stop and give the car a few revs AS you are stopping until you are stopped.
Old 04-24-06, 03:58 PM
lexyroo
Driver School Candidate

I never changed the fuel pump, fuel filter , etc so i guess this would most likely be the problem. I have been getting some hesitation on occasions but now it stalls every time the the rpm drops. How much would something like this cost me to get fixed? Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-24-06, 04:02 PM
lexyroo
Driver School Candidate

I'm in America now--so US dollars here in america
Old 04-24-06, 04:24 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Maintenance my friend.
Old 04-24-06, 06:33 PM
lexyroo
Driver School Candidate

Would not changing the fuel filter suddely cause it to not hold idle? Do you guys feel that filter is gone. I checked the part price and a oem fuel filter with filter will run me $254 . What would the labor usually run for something like this in the states?
Old 04-24-06, 06:44 PM
blknfury
Driver

could be also something toward a vacuum hose being not connected, if the it isnt something with the fuel
Old 04-24-06, 07:24 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah sounds like a fuel pump or filter issue. My car is currently not running because of that. Lets get it fixed!
Old 04-24-06, 07:45 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What if he adjusts it so that the car runs higher at idle??? My old maxima ran at around 450 rpm at idle, and sometimes acted like it was going to choke out......we raised it to 700 and it ran fine.
Old 04-24-06, 09:07 PM
lexyroo
Driver School Candidate

It's funny because I was putting off getting the fuel filter replaced for the last few months. Because gas prices are so high I have been only putting a 1/4 tanks of gas at a time which I know is a bad thing to because of all the sediment in the tank. Just the straw the broke the camels back I have 223,000 miles on my 92 ---haven't got the timing belt changed either. I hear the belt will almost last forever---Has anyone ever had a timing belt break on them with their DD? I have been slacking on maintainance because the darn parts are so expensive and I'n not handy around the car (don't even know how to change the oil)
Old 04-10-07, 06:26 PM
Drewbeeee
Pole Position

The reason your sc is stalling is because your throttle body idle control is malfunctioning..i had that same problem and i cleaned out my throttle body and i raised my idle alittle cause if u raise it alot n ur at a stoplight the car just wants to go...my car runs fine now..no stalling and smooth idle
Old 04-10-07, 10:18 PM
rhetty95sc
Driver School Candidate

EGR!!!!!!!!
Always happened with my mustangs, Same exact symptoms...
Old 04-11-07, 02:01 AM
1jhazzard
Rookie

not to hijack or anything but what is the best way to raise your idle? i know of a few ways to do it but what is everybodys best recommendation.
Old 04-11-07, 08:43 AM
uenolove
Rookie

I just had this fixed at a shop for my sc400. It would do the same thing until it would start no more. they searched everything fuel filter, IAC, all the common stuff.Turned out i had to just get a new ecu.I picked up an old one off ebay for 80 bucks and the shop said it was great.Now my sc runs like it always did.Also when i started to have this problem i was messing around with the memory seats and the sunroof, the ecu may ave just been so old that it couldnt handle all those features so it just quit.But i dont really know. hope this helps
Old 04-12-07, 02:05 PM
cino78h
Driver

Originally Posted by leXxuS sC4
The reason your sc is stalling is because your throttle body idle control is malfunctioning..i had that same problem and i cleaned out my throttle body and i raised my idle alittle cause if u raise it alot n ur at a stoplight the car just wants to go...my car runs fine now..no stalling and smooth idle
what is the proper way of cleaning the TBIC?I'M IN THE SAME BOAT!PLEASE HELP!