Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need EXPERT advice!!! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 05:06 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need EXPERT advice!!! (pics)

My car (sc3) has always ran tip top. I let it sit for a few weeks, and when I went to start it.....first it acted like it wanted to start (hitting on a couple cyl.'s). The next time I cranked on it , it wouldnt fire at all, and sounds like it has no compression!!

So, ... I thought it jumped time. Plus, its been making a dry bearing sound, from behind the timing belt cover at idle. So I was about to change the timing belt and tensioner, and I have it all apart......

I cant tell if the marks are lining up, or not. It doesnt look like it to me, but my freind says they are.????

Heres some different shots showing the marks: Does this look right?????????

Last edited by na4now; 04-21-06 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-21-06, 05:43 PM
deruvian
Driver

I don't see how that isn't lined up. The crank is at TDC and the cam pulleys are aligned with the markings. And anyway, if you skipped a tooth while driving (before your couple week break) you would have noticed.

Not sure what to tell ya man. What type of environment do you live in? How's the gas gauge lookin? Have you checked the battery, alternator, and starter? Did anyone else have access to your car? Get back to everyone with some more info.
Old 04-21-06, 06:11 PM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you go replacing the timing belt, which looks to be perfectly lined up, try checking the basics like spark and fuel first.
Old 04-21-06, 07:20 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

smells like a possible ECU or electrical issue. Make sure your battery contacts are not corroded. If they are, replace them asap.
Old 04-22-06, 09:53 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Ignition and or fuel delivery maybe the culprit, possibly but not likely the ECU has a problem...Don't think you jumped a tooth on your timing belt, no way....
Old 04-22-06, 12:13 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Well turns out nothing was wrong. I cranked, and cranked on it while mashing the throttle and it hesitatly fired right up. After that, it starts every time, like its supposed to. I guess letting it sit either, ...it got some moisture somewhere and the ignition wasnt firing, or fuel wasnt getting delivered for some reason.

Whats weird, is it seemed to not have any compression. When turning the motor w/ the starter it sounded like it was just spinning, like the plugs were out or something. Thats why I thought it had jumped time. But now, .....since its started, it sounds back to normal. And, my engine sounds great. Runs SUPER smooth, and sounds great.

Jordan
Old 04-23-06, 02:25 AM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

posibly a leakey injector flooded the engine