Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte swap SC400 Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 12:31 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2jz-gte swap SC400 Project

Just wanna show some pics or my current project and thank a couple of close friends on this forum that help me with my project.
I want to thank Joey at spark Racing for doing the swap. Jay for the hook up. David (lextreme) for advice and parts. My bro Ant for parts. And Pat (Indypwr) for advice. Thanks Guys.
So this is what the car look like right now. I hope it will we will get it running soon.

Old motor.

New Motor.

Last edited by JamesN; 04-06-06 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-06-06, 01:09 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The motor doesnt drop right in like it does the SC300 does it? Ive been thinking about a swap as well as this car is boring...
Old 04-06-06, 01:17 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

SC400 Swap is more work and complicated then Sc300. First of all you need to change motor mount and mount bracket from SC3 then there alittle thing here and there like power steering oil tank.
Old 04-06-06, 01:34 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

brave man james...i've wanted to boost for quite some time now but never was able to do it...too afraid to get the hood popped and my baby taken away...

can't wait to see it done...
Old 04-06-06, 05:10 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so James do you think this a better route than supercharging the SC4?
Old 04-06-06, 08:15 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
brave man james...i've wanted to boost for quite some time now but never was able to do it...too afraid to get the hood popped and my baby taken away...

can't wait to see it done...

LOL. I was scared too Tony but when I saw Pat doing his swap I just can't take it anymore and just went for it. You will like it alot once you swap and go single turbo .
Old 04-06-06, 08:28 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
so James do you think this a better route than supercharging the SC4?
I've been thinking and researching about supercharging the V8 for years. I was about to rebuilt my V8 engine with forge internals and supercharging like the Aussie did but the SC4 have really small crank pulleys and it's really hard to make HP out of it. I've talk to my good friend (David)Lextreme over Lextreme.com finding ways to supercharging it but found out it's too inefficient and wont met my power need . If you want big power then do the swap and go single turbo. If you want just alittle more power then you can try supercharging. But usually once get a taste of power you usually want more . Some might disagree with me about Supercharging Vs Turbo, so to prevent that this is just my opinion.
Old 04-06-06, 08:32 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

thanks..keep me posted...
Old 04-06-06, 01:09 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you are a brave man...

Pat told me you were swapping your V8 for the 2JZ last week. He thought your car was a 300, but I assured him your SC is a V8. Nevertheless, kudos to you for swapping
Old 04-06-06, 03:22 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

great choice.

supercharging is pretty much uncharted waters. Support for the 2j motor is huge.

Defiintely keep us updated on issues that you run into with the install into an SC400. Are you going auto or standard?

I hope to do a 1J swap in my SC4 one day.
Old 04-06-06, 08:25 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

I'm running auto with upgrade Torque converter. I ran into quite a few issue because mostly I bought a JDM Aristo motor. So I end up have to swap out the oil pan, buy new engine wiring harness and ECU. This cost alot of money. If you are doing a swap get the Supra 2jz motor and U.S. spec is better. I have to learn mine the hard way . I will post up all the parts needed for the swap and trouble to look out for soon. Plus with some update pics when I stop by the shop tomorrow.
Old 04-07-06, 04:17 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

thats too bad because the Aristo swaps are much much cheaper than a USDM 2j
Old 04-08-06, 11:53 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

james, my man.....you waited this long and you will soon feel the power of the 2jzgte !!!
my swap took about 1 month and 2 weeks to complete but the results had paid off.
i dont plan to go single for a long time though, just wanna stay BPU for now. boosting 18psi out of my 2j is outstanding and very happy with it. i still want to concentrate a little more on the exterior like getting a body kit but until now, still undecisive.

once you get your car out, don't get boost happy and blow something up....hhee.hhee
i've never taken my car to red line yet cuz i'm quite scared but although i drove it pretty hard once in a while. dont forget to get the greddy fcd as this will eliminate your fuel cut once you boost over 1bar (14.5psi). this greddy unit was never made for 2jzgte by the way. it was made for mr2 turbo but most supra owners use it and it works like a charm. when you buy this unit, it's set for mr2 so you make sure you open it up, you will see a small adjustment screw and have it sit at 3 o'clock position. if you dont, the unit will not work properly once you install it. trust me, it happend to me and i was still hitting fuel cut. the greddy fcd should read 14.5 volts for obd1 to work.

from all the details you have told me, you will be in BPU stage; fmic, walbro pump, colder plugs, full exhaust with 2.5 piping. you might be boosting close or even pass 1bar in which case you will hit fuel cut. if you plan not to have any catalytic at all, i suggest you use get a flange that has 2inch opening and install it somewhere between the downpipe and rear end of the exhaust. with this flange, you will get a little back pressure (assuming you dont plan to have cats) and control the boost more accurately with your boost control. i am running with no factory cat but with a free-flow one from magnaflow, and i always get boost creep with my greddy bc. it was so hard to tune it right until i got the flange and whoalla!!! i set the low boost to .09 and high boost at 1.2bar. i dont hit fuel cut anymore either. i suggest though to not hit over 1.2 bar all the time espclly with pump gas and you will hear something BAM out of your exhaust piping.....lol

i can't wait til your project finishes man......
Old 04-18-06, 11:02 PM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Some updated pics of the project. The engine wiring is already in and so is the radiator and electric fan plus other misc parts. The project is progressing slowly but its coming. I hope we can finish it soon. Enjoy the pics.

Old 04-18-06, 11:39 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like she’s coming together nicely, keep it up

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte swap SC400 Project