Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is it hard to change timing belt?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-06, 11:42 AM
JDMS2k3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it hard to change timing belt?!?

how hard is it to change the timing belt and fan belt? thinkin about doing it myself

anyone that knows how to do it im willing to pay for a fair price in So Cali. also do tensioners and bolts need to be changed as well?
Old 04-05-06, 11:54 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

takes about an hour. Remove fan, rad, covers. line up crank pull to Tdc on the bottom cover, and make sure the cam marks line up with the marks behind the gears. Use a 3/4in (not 1/2in) impact gun to remove the crank bolt if its never been off. A 500FTlb 1/2in wont budge it if it was never off. Use a puller to get the crank pully off. take off the plastic cover. take off the two bolts off the timing belt tensioner, remove belt, put new belt on, and reverse process. Change that water pump while your at it, its the only way to get at it also (to remove timing belt).

PS this is for a 1jzgte, but 2jzge has to be almost identical process
Old 04-06-06, 05:16 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

VJ RC51 takes about an hour. Remove fan, rad, covers. line up crank pull to Tdc on the bottom cover, and make sure the cam marks line up with the marks behind the gears. Use a 3/4in (not 1/2in) impact gun to remove the crank bolt if its never been off. A 500FTlb 1/2in wont budge it if it was never off. Use a puller to get the crank pulley off. take off the plastic cover. take off the two bolts off the timing belt tensioner, remove belt, put new belt on, and reverse process. Change that water pump while your at it, its the only way to get at it also (to remove timing belt).

PS this is for a 1jzgte, but 2jzge has to be almost identical process

Dude, what are you the Yota Guru!! When you go to sleep at night, do you see Intakes, and Cam shafts....

Awesome quick write up!!!!
Old 04-06-06, 07:35 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't do it if you do not know how...

Ryan
Old 04-06-06, 09:46 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by neuro4you@
Dude, what are you the Yota Guru!! When you go to sleep at night, do you see Intakes, and Cam shafts....

Awesome quick write up!!!!
Actually i dream about that GT40-88R turbo i will be bolting on as soon as i sell some cars

Don't do it if you do not know how...
i had no idea how to do it either, and it took me 45mins start to finish. Dont discourage people from working on their cars, u should ENCOURGE it!
Old 04-06-06, 02:19 PM
turbodude
Rookie

Also if you don;t have burly impact wrench. Use a big breaker bar, and set it on the ground, and blip the ignition and us eteh torque of the starter to break the bolt loose. that will work, old school trick. Honestly its not hard, but if your gonna be changing teh belt, i would suggest and go ahead and change water pump, oil pump, and anything else that may require refurbishing.
Old 04-06-06, 09:35 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
i had no idea how to do it either, and it took me 45mins start to finish. Dont discourage people from working on their cars, u should ENCOURGE it!

I agree. Unless your hands consist of five thumbs or you have cash just falling out your pockets......give it a try. Learning how to do repairs to your car is an invaluable experience.

Had my SC4 for 2.5 years now. Hasn't seen a shop yet. All work done by me. Some jobs were first time deals too. Search through CL and you'll find a write-up for just about anything!
Old 04-06-06, 09:36 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodude
Also if you don;t have burly impact wrench. Use a big breaker bar, and set it on the ground, and blip the ignition and us eteh torque of the starter to break the bolt loose. that will work, old school trick. Honestly its not hard, but if your gonna be changing teh belt, i would suggest and go ahead and change water pump, oil pump, and anything else that may require refurbishing.

Careful with that technique. Old school and it does work, but a slight mistake and..........well we don't wanna discuss that!!!!!
Old 04-07-06, 07:21 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Also if you don;t have burly impact wrench. Use a big breaker bar, and set it on the ground, and blip the ignition and us eteh torque of the starter to break the bolt loose. that will work, old school trick.
Oh heck no. Dont EVER tell anyone to do that. You might as well just start kicking in your door panels if your going to do that. I borrowed a 3/4in impact gun from a tow truck shop. If your car is 5psd, u can leave it in gear with a breaker bar that does work, but if your auto.... use an impact wrench (stronger then 500ft/lb, around 800-1000), or don't do it at all. You can kiss your flywheel, starter, and various other things goodbye doing the 'old school trick'
Old 04-07-06, 07:33 AM
turbodude
Rookie

i've done that trick time and time again no problems here.
Old 04-07-06, 07:39 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

i've done that trick time and time again no problems here.
lol your on your own with that one. i can just picture some n00b doing it and chipping teeth off the flywheel as we speak
Old 04-07-06, 12:06 PM
turbodude
Rookie

wow, never ever seen anyone do that, ok then i retract my statement, if you can do that trick correctly then do it, otherwise umm yeah get a pro to do it.
Old 04-07-06, 08:50 PM
LocknRoll
Rookie

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
lol your on your own with that one. i can just picture some n00b doing it and chipping teeth off the flywheel as we speak
i listen to what ric has to say, i have yet to stump this guy on any question, EVER.
Old 04-08-06, 01:18 AM
turbodude
Rookie

sorry, i think for myself.
Old 04-08-06, 01:33 AM
SCSpeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDMS2k3
how hard is it to change the timing belt and fan belt? thinkin about doing it myself

anyone that knows how to do it im willing to pay for a fair price in So Cali. also do tensioners and bolts need to be changed as well?
First, get a repair manual for your specific model, either on paper or CD. Book manual is the best but CD will work if you alread did similar job on other cars. Don't do the "old school trick". Get a big chain wrench instead. There're several on Ebay of around $20 and they should help. You'll need this chain wrench for both turning it loose and tightening it back, along with a torque wrench.