Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZ-GTE Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-06, 11:10 AM
js3324
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZ-GTE Swap Questions

Hello

This is my first post and the first time I really looked into this deeply,so please excuse any ignorance that I am almost inevitably going to display from here on down.

I own a RX330 - love everything about the Lexus experience - the quality, the treatment, etc... I recently bought an ahem...exotic.. and then a Subaru STI a bit later as a daily driver to share dutys with the RX. Problem with the STI is I can not leave it any where, and I have to be especially careful if I speed the littlest bit because of the wing(s - 2006) and gold rims. Due to my recently picked up habit of caring well for my cars due to the exotic, I have not been able to bring myself to bring the STI out in the rain or any unfavorable condition so it sits there - 3 months and only 600 miles. Frankly, that defys the whole purpose I bought the car and if I am going to have something that sits in the garage, well, damn, it better be unique.

A friend of mine recently was telling me about a SC300 with a 2JZ-GTE that his friend has(recently tuned BPU w/ 450WHP I beleive) Anyway, this got me thinking, to prevent any problems with cops and vandalism why not sell the STI and pick up a SC300 to swap a 2JZ-GTE into it? I figure the SC would give me less head aches in the end, Lexus's are common place around here, whereas the STI attracts all sort of negative attention.

That is how I got here, I searched a bit and was not able to get any definitive absolutes on the swap other than boat loads of information pervading. Here are my questions, please forgive me if this is the 8,000th time you have seen a similar post - I will understand if deleted.

1. When searching for a donor car, should I be looking for an older or newer car? If I buy a newer car, does that mean I would have to buy a newer 2JZ due to compliance with "OBD-2" or errors between newer/older ECUs?

2. Besides the 2JZ-GTE/radiator/tranny/turbo stuff/fuel system(going further into next question), obviously, what little parts do I need?

3. I would like the car to run mid 11s, I would also like to run a single. Suggestions for a streetable, every day turbo? T68-78 I would think is the range, but there so much more to it than that I am sure.

4. I am assuming that custom piping would need to be made to the intercooler?

5. Since the 6 speed swap costs 5000 minimum and up to 7000(was looking on Supraforums) I would just like to build the auto. I understand BL does good builds of the automatics?

6. On an unrelated note, that should really go into the other thread I would like to atleast match the handling of the STI. Will coil overs, sways, alignment, and some weight reduction cover the gap, or it more involved?

Well, that about covers it...hopefully you guys can extend your patients and make one more exception just for me and help me out a bit even though you get this so much.

Thanks, if this takes place, god willing, you can be sure you'll see the step by step.
Old 03-27-06, 11:43 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Well it depends what you want also.. a car capable of 11sec that you daily drive but rarely race it or beat on it.. or a car you run 11s with all the time at the track that you can daily drive..

#1 will be 100% reliable and daily driveable
#2 you'll be doing alot of repairs all the time.
Old 03-27-06, 05:16 PM
js3324
Driver School Candidate

I would like the more reliable car, if anything, but I also understand that with running those power levels( I'm assuming 500+ to the wheels) issues will prevent themselves no matter what the use.

More typically though, it will see the tracks just to get a slip of where I want it to be. Once I have that it will just be street driven and will not really see hard launches or long times of abuse...maybe the occasional "tango" with full boost/running through a couple gears.
Old 03-27-06, 06:25 PM
NyanaDream
Driver School Candidate

6. The sc300/soarer weighs around 3500lbs. with roughly a 70/30 F/R weight distribution. The GC STi is around 3000lbs. and the GD STi is around 3200lbs., both at a 58/42 F/R weight distribution AND 4WD. You will not be able to feasibly accomplish this goal.

EDITED FOR BEAN: I got my info from TIF and Wikipedia. I stand by my facts, because they are backed up by informational sources. All of them correct and non-biased.

Last edited by NyanaDream; 03-28-06 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-27-06, 06:36 PM
SCSpeed
Rookie

For economical factor and power range of around 450 rwhp, a low mileage 5 speed SC300 is a good choice. You don't even have to swap with the Supra TT engine. A stock 5 speed SC300 with turbo has been known to achieve 460 rwhp reliably. You will only have to use thicker head gasket to lower compression, however. More power than this, you'll surely need internal engine parts and stronger flywheel/clutch. A stock SC300 is very strong.
Old 03-27-06, 06:50 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Ol' yea you could accomplish these goals. If the 11s you want to see is like a 11.9 then I BELIEVE it could be accomplished with a good US swap with all the BPU stuff... Downpipe, intake, exhaust, boost controller, etc... I've seen over 400whp with the bolt ons. Don't forget to add in good driving and traction. Good thing about the SC is 90% of the 93.5 up supra stuff will work. So the coilovers selection is pretty wide. As far as the intercooler goes you can use a good supra TT front mount kit with very little modification such as the HKS, Greddy, etc... Then is you want to go single then any of the supra TT stuff will work flawlessly. But chose wisely because the wrong sized turbo ruins a "street" car.

The GTE swap is very pricey (but my personal favorite setup) don't rule out a good NA-T setup OR ever the 1JZGTE swap, the 1jz swap can be done for about 1/3 the cost of the 2jzgte swap. Its smaller but it has its advantages too. For instance it runs on a map sensor instead of the mass air meter like the US supras. That little fact alone cuts down on the cost of a VPC setup or map computer. My recommendation is take a day and read through the forums here and then make a choice... if you do the 2JZGTE swap then get ahold of Phils book to ease the pain.
Old 03-28-06, 03:06 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NyanaDream
6. The sc300/soarer weighs around 3500lbs. with roughly a 70/30 F/R weight distribution. The STi is around 3000lbs. at a 58/42 F/R weight distribution AND 4WD. You will not be able to feasibly accomplish this goal.
You're on crack. The SC300 has a 52/48 weight distribution. My light suspension modded SC would MURDER an STi on a road course. It wouldnt even be funny. I've driven two STis... they cant handle the turns like my SC can (not stock though, but just shocks/springs/tires).

STI weighs more like 3200lbs and does NOT have a 52/48 weight distro. Its got a little ***** 2.5L 4 banger with no R&D behind it. The 2jz is king of all import motors... period. I think you need to be posting elsewhere if you're going to spread that kind of misinformation.

Oh and not to mention that STIs have knocked from the FACTORY. There's some great reliability right there

Last edited by Bean; 03-28-06 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-28-06, 03:12 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCSpeed
For economical factor and power range of around 450 rwhp, a low mileage 5 speed SC300 is a good choice. You don't even have to swap with the Supra TT engine. A stock 5 speed SC300 with turbo has been known to achieve 460 rwhp reliably. You will only have to use thicker head gasket to lower compression, however. More power than this, you'll surely need internal engine parts and stronger flywheel/clutch. A stock SC300 is very strong.

Thats incorrect too...

DaveH is running 9 second timeslips on a STOCK GE motor. 460whp? try 650-800+
The motors are the same; pistons are slightly different in the GTE, but just as strong. Crank and rods are identical.

BTW, stock clutch wont hang with 460whp; not even 250whp. Dunno why that was a recommended upgrade. Beyond 400whp you need to look at a full transmission swap.

What happened here? Did we get invaded by ignorance?
Old 03-28-06, 04:34 AM
NyanaDream
Driver School Candidate

Bean, your rude, biased, and uneducated comments have provided negative-reinforced information for js3324. I hope you know that and realize you need to act like an adult.

That is all I care to say.

Last edited by NyanaDream; 03-28-06 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Don't feel like getting into an argument over something pointless.
Old 03-28-06, 09:07 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

I completely agree with Bean. 450rwhp isnt nothing to joke about. Its not something a stock 2JZGE 5spd sc300 can handle without MAJOR UPGRADES. You'll spit out the w58 within 2 days.

for 450rwhp on a 2JZGE youll need a fuel system, good turbo setup, r154 tranny, goooood clutch, upgraded head gasket, exhaust, gauges, electronics, etc etc...\

The engine internals, pistons, rods, crank block? Those are good for 800+.. very proven.

Last edited by VJ RC51; 03-28-06 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-28-06, 09:11 AM
chidoks
Pole Position

i agree with bean
Old 03-28-06, 12:57 PM
js3324
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bean

Oh and not to mention that STIs have knocked from the FACTORY. There's some great reliability right there
Thanks to every one who assisted..

And for the above quote, do not knock(no pun) the STIs reliability. I have not heard of knocking from the factory and the car is extremely reliable..knock the Evos if anything...I would love to keep it but I am not going to.
Old 03-28-06, 02:10 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

SC300 with the GTE motor and 6spd is the best route to go. It'll give you the most options to choose and best setup for the street/strip (unless you're a hardcore drag racer, than the auto is for you).

I sent you a pm
Old 03-28-06, 04:24 PM
js3324
Driver School Candidate

I would love to run the 6 speed for things like fun, resale value, and its strength, but with that comes lots of extra work, parts, and money over say, just building the auto, which would bring added convenience for my lazy self to the table.

Can I just get a straight list of all the parts needed for the swap? Is there such a glorious list? or is it a buy things as you go along type of project?
Old 04-02-06, 12:57 PM
js3324
Driver School Candidate

Not to be a pain, but I assume there are no absolutes here?

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GTE Swap Questions