Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Starter change on SC300

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-06, 01:49 PM
McDonough
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter change on SC300

Car is stock. Getting a clicking under the hood. I've checked the clutch switch, that seems fine. Sometimes it will start, sometimes it takes a few times. Sometimes won't start at all. 181K miles.

Is there a relay I can check?

I can clearly hear something clicking near the starter. My understanding is the selenoid is built on top of the starter. My understanding is also that the selenoid comes already installed on the new starter.

Should I get the part at Toyota/Lexus or a local parts store? Napa perhaps? Lastly, how hard of an install is this going to be? I've done radiators/oil changes/brakes etc.
Old 03-24-06, 01:57 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by McDonough
Car is stock. Getting a clicking under the hood. I've checked the clutch switch, that seems fine. Sometimes it will start, sometimes it takes a few times. Sometimes won't start at all. 181K miles.

Is there a relay I can check?

I can clearly hear something clicking near the starter. My understanding is the selenoid is built on top of the starter. My understanding is also that the selenoid comes already installed on the new starter.

Should I get the part at Toyota/Lexus or a local parts store? Napa perhaps? Lastly, how hard of an install is this going to be? I've done radiators/oil changes/brakes etc.
You can change the starter n the amount of time it takes to put the car on jacks and jackstands.
Old 03-24-06, 02:15 PM
Bosco
Driver School Candidate

You can get a toyota starter. much cheaper than a lexus starter, but they both work the same.
Old 03-24-06, 02:39 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bosco
You can get a toyota starter. much cheaper than a lexus starter, but they both work the same.

My buddy used my 92 lexus starter on his 94 supra TT. Had a different plug, but it was on a motor i took out so i just cut the wire and soldered it to his harness.
Old 04-03-06, 03:07 AM
lexsc3
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with my car a couple months ago, It would start sometime and not others especially when it was sitting for 2 days or so. It end up being a pin size leak in my fuel filter. If you smell any gas, this could be the problem.
Old 04-05-06, 08:45 AM
Project300
Driver

It sounds like you are having the exact same symptoms that I had when my starter died. You might be able to clean the contacts on the starter and get by for a little while, but your car is about to strand you the next time you shut it off. Having to tow your car sucks so take care of this soon.

The starter for our cars is pretty common and you can get a reman one for less than $130. I went to a local foreign parts store and got a Bosch that works perfectly.

The only hard part is trying to reach the top mounting bolt when you are under the car, but it is not impossible. Just get the right tools and you'll see. VJ RC51 must drink alot of caffeine if he thinks it is a quick and easy job, but hindsight makes any job easier than the first time you try it.

Here is the first thread I started as a new member of CL all those years ago. It should help if you want to change your starter. Everything you need to know is there.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117257