Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally bit the bullet....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 01:40 PM
Timdog1650
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally bit the bullet....

I'm sure a few of you saw my thread the other day about my blown motor, woe is me, whatever shall I do? Well, today I decided to pony up the cash and put a deposit on a 2jzGTE shortblock from a guy on Supraforums. I'm going to throw the new shortblock in the car and go NA-T style. Hopefully my numbers will still be pretty good since I'm using the low compression Bottom end and can run decent boost. I also called up Boostlogic and ordered a set of the EGR Blockoffs and some ARP headstuds. That in conjunction with a fuel rail, regulator, pump, injector setup my friend is giving me plus his Greddy TT intake manifold mated to an NA lower plenum should be ready for a turbo kit...I've got an AEM on the way that'll go on with all the intake mods so I can run MAF-less. I'm excited, but at the same time....I know it's going to be a long hard road to get this piece put back together properly. Oh well...it had to happen some time.

I'll keep everyone posted with updates and hopefully pics as I go.

~Tim
Old 03-20-06, 01:52 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

You do know that, the 2JZGE and 2JZGTE short blocks are identical right?

Minus the oil squirters of course. Same pistons, rods, crank. The difference in compression is the headgasket thickness. The so called thicker headgaskets companys sell for NA-T guys to lower compression, is usually just the OEM toyota 2JZGTE headgasket.

Also note, the fastest Supra's in the world use the GE block, the oil squirters can blow your motor in the high hp range.

But you know all this since you did your research hopefully..
Old 03-20-06, 02:44 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Also note, the fastest Supra's in the world use the GE block, the oil squirters can blow your motor in the high hp range.
Which Supras are these Also how are the oil squirters causing damage to engines?

Last edited by TurboB6; 03-20-06 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-20-06, 03:15 PM
Timdog1650
Rookie

Well, I didn't know all that VJRC51, but it's interesting that you mention that. All of my research on supraforums and with people I know who have built supras indicates that the difference in compression is from the pistons, not the headgasket. I'm going to use a stock TT headgasket on this build, so my thoughts, as corroborated by research in the NA section of supraforums is that I'll get the TT's 8.5:1 ratio. As for the oil squirters blowing motors, I haven't heard that, nor have I heard of people using the GE block for massive power, however, I'll take my chances given the reliability I've experienced firsthand with friends' supras on the stock block casting.

In honesty you may know something I don't, but as far as I know the combustion chambers in both the NA and TT heads are similiar if not the same, so the compression MUST come from some differences in the pistons, considering that you cannot make up 1.5 points just via a thicker headgasket. Also to note, the Timing belts are VERY VERY similar, again, if not identical, so there can't be too much of a difference in engine height, if you catch my jive. I dunno, I'll read through it all again...this block was available for a good price, if it turns out to be a bad call I can always rip it out and have the built GE motor from my car ready to go within a few weeks turnaround.

Any more info you have to flesh this out, of course I'd be interested.

~Tim
Old 03-20-06, 03:18 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Good luck with your project hope to see you at one of the NELOC meets sometime.
Old 03-20-06, 03:28 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Minus the oil squirters of course. Same pistons, rods, crank. The difference in compression is the headgasket thickness. The so called thicker headgaskets companys sell for NA-T guys to lower compression, is usually just the OEM toyota 2JZGTE headgasket.

difference in compression is the headgasket thickness?? do some more reading. tts have dished pistons which factor into the compression.
Old 03-20-06, 04:57 PM
Timdog1650
Rookie

Here's my source of information. This guy also had a buddy who posted similar calculations here on Clublexus, so I'm inclined to believe the information is good. I worked out what my setup will be, pretty much turns out to be stock Supra TT compression ratio, give or take...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...24#post4038224

~Tim
Old 03-20-06, 05:00 PM
Timdog1650
Rookie

Originally Posted by cherplex
Good luck with your project hope to see you at one of the NELOC meets sometime.

I'd love to make as many as possible, and honestly I'd be at every single one but I have two major limiting factors:

1) car no drive, car need engine

2) My lady-friend is disinclined to engage in motorsports related activities, so it's always a hard sell...she doesn't mind if I drive 'em, but just doesn't understand why anyone with the same car would want to look at someone else's. "you both have the same car, why can't you spend time with me and just look at your own car instead?"

*sigh* how little she does know....

~Tim
Old 03-20-06, 05:13 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Timdog1650
I'd love to make as many as possible, and honestly I'd be at every single one but I have two major limiting factors:

1) car no drive, car need engine

2) My lady-friend is disinclined to engage in motorsports related activities, so it's always a hard sell...she doesn't mind if I drive 'em, but just doesn't understand why anyone with the same car would want to look at someone else's. "you both have the same car, why can't you spend time with me and just look at your own car instead?"

*sigh* how little she does know....

~Tim
we will be having meets monthly so whenever you get the car together just come out. As far as the lady friend thing that's a first I've heard you got to trick her into it include some kind of shopping stop at a mall in the deal
Old 03-20-06, 07:14 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for clearing that up Gazi.

he is right, the TT pistons are dished... so that is where the difference in compression comes from. if anyone wants to argue... call your toyota dealership, and the parts guys will gladly give you different part numbers for the TT and the NA.

Tim, where in napptown are you? i grew up on kent island, but moved in with my dad when i was 18 just off of forest drive out by eastport.... back where i was born. if you need any parts, i know some guys up there that may have some goodies lying arround for ya. keep us posted on the progress, and ill be sure to drop you a PM along with the other locals next time im up there.
Old 03-20-06, 07:25 PM
Timdog1650
Rookie

I'm at the Naval Academy, going to put the car over at the Naval station accross the river to use their auto-hobby garage for the install. Definately shoot me a PM if you're ever in the area, I'd love to meet some locals. The only SC people I've seen or waved to driving were somewhat less than enthusiastic, if you know what I mean.

~Tim
Old 03-20-06, 07:30 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats awsome, my grandmother retired working for the comptroler at the naval station, my sister used to work there.. i forget where, and a friend of mine worked at the mid store... you may know her. oh, and believe it or not, i was in the Sea caddets when i was like 14. i might have to make a trip up there sooner than i thought. let me know when you get the project well underway.

edit: my sister did media relations in the public affairs office.

and my grandad graduated from there... but that was back in like 64 or so.

Last edited by ki_soarer; 03-20-06 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-20-06, 07:47 PM
Timdog1650
Rookie

Nice! Yeah, there's a whole culture of people whose lives revolve around this place...it's funny because so many mids "hate" it here because it's tuff, but everyone surrounding it loves the place. Oh well...hopefully they'll let me alone long enough to fix my poor little car.

~Tim
Old 03-20-06, 08:04 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Good info about na-t here. You can make up your own mind about whats what.
Old 03-24-06, 04:06 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

What amazes me is how someone can have so many post yet have there information so far from the truth .

Timdog1650: Im sure you already know but you want the squirters. Good luck on the build.

Quick Reply: Finally bit the bullet....