Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-06, 11:35 AM
philosophy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission question

background :
92 sc400, 185k, totally stock.

Picked up this newest sc last week, and noticed it has a quirk*
The transmission shifts - when cold or sitting for a period of time- perfectly.
after 5 mins of driving, the car will shift from 1st gear directly to 3rd or even in some cases o/d.
this happens every 1/4 takeoffs from a stop after the car has warmed up.

Examining the connections I find they are fine. The tranny oil was brown and smelled burnt , which has now been flushed and changed. Screen/filter has been cleaned, and I've cleaned and added grounding wires to the tranny, since I understand the 92's have problems w/ground circuits. The car still shifts in the same manner. So it's off to the solenoids, and by my guess if i is skipping 2nd gear, there is a good chance it is the #2 solenoid.
Every once in a while the o/d light will flash on and off, which to me spells a slipping Torque converter, but, physically, the car exhibits no symptoms of that, and as I formentioned it is only seldom.

My question is this: since the car only does it *some* of the time, is there a chance that a solenoid can be 'dirty' ? should I try to clean the valve body? is it perhaps the pump?
The damn car isn't spitting out any codes either, so I'm definitely open to suggestions.

thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-06, 11:38 AM
philosophy
Driver School Candidate

P.S. I've been on this forum for over 2 yrs, observing, and have never had to post, since I have found all my answers from using the SEARCH function. This is my first post, and subsequently the first time I haven't found an applicable answer by searching. thanks.
Old 03-11-06, 07:45 AM
wyaaj812
Driver School Candidate

my 92 had the same problem. It could be the clutch packs that are worn out or like you said the solenoid could be dirty. I replaced my transmission. I would check the solenoid first and go from there. Well, given I have the expertise to do that but I don't. Depending on your miles you might want to consider the costs of overhauling or replacing the tranny with replacing the whole engine and tranny, it's your call.
Old 08-09-06, 08:37 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh crap. My car is experiencing the exact same problems. Just when I was out of the woods
in repair bills.