Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My door keeps hitting the front fender

Old 03-09-06, 02:41 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you have to loosen all the fender bolts, move it forward a hair, and tighten the bolt back down.
Old 03-09-06, 08:15 PM
91SHOman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has a nasty dent in the fender, I don't know if it's from the door hitting and bending the fender in, if so it would take alot of force cause it looks like someone hit my car and drove off, that and one night I noticed it after shopping when I came back out to my car, and now it just has NASTY horrible sound when I open and close the door, but it also looks like the door itself moves some when open and close it, kind of hard to explain what I'm seeing. I'm getting the fender repaired soon, and I'm assuming I just need to replace the hinges.
Old 03-10-06, 07:32 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aliga
you have to loosen all the fender bolts, move it forward a hair, and tighten the bolt back down.
Mark several small lines with a black "Sharpie Ultra fine point" permanent marker around the fender prior to loosening the bolts. Then you have several reference points to the original fender placement, and you know how much of a hair you're working with. A little WD-40 or alcohol removes the marks when you're satisified with the results.
Old 04-21-06, 11:44 AM
Tymboo
Rookie

Default Still no noise

After pulling out with two hands on the fender at the point of contact..The problem is still gone...its been over a month now...I guess a little elbow grease help out after all...!!!
Old 04-22-06, 06:57 AM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Door Misalignment

One of the major causes of this problem is opening either of your doors when your car is on a hoist and being supported by the Jacking points underneith.
Never lift your car on a hoist with either of the doors opened and never open either door when the car is on a hoist.
Doing so can pemanently bend the body alignment of the car.

Just a word of caution to SC owners.
Old 04-22-06, 08:22 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by setwire
One of the major causes of this problem is opening either of your doors when your car is on a hoist and being supported by the Jacking points underneith.
Never lift your car on a hoist with either of the doors opened and never open either door when the car is on a hoist.

Does this go for all vehicles? I never knew about this
Old 04-22-06, 01:00 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Does this go for all vehicles? I never knew about this
Don't know about other vehicles, I think it depends on where the hoist jack points are on the vehicle and how large the doors are.
I know that it is definitely true of the SC 300 and SC400.
The doors when closed stop the frame from flexing and I know of 1 person that had their drivers door open when put on a hoist and they had major door alignment problems with the drivers door after the car was taken off the hoist.

Rob
Old 09-16-14, 06:42 PM
SupraTico
Driver School Candidate

I know this thread is older than my grandmother... but I just had my car painted & just the extra little bit of paint & clear between the fender & the door, plus my 21 year-old tired hinge, was enough to make them touch right when the door began to open. It caused a tiny chip in my new paint

I fixed it (temporarily) by adding four thin stainless steel washers sandwiched in between the actual door and the hinge mount (obviously on the door side, and obviously only one washer per bolt).

What this did was essentially push the door back a hair, just enough that it no longer contacts the fender before the hinge has a chance to kick the door out and away from it.

Remove one top bolt & loosen the 2nd just enough to get some space for the washer as the weight of the door separates the hinge for you... replace the bolt but don't tighten all the way -leave it just snug. Back out the second top bolt, insert washer, & reinstall. Leave them just snug & repeat the process with the bottom bolts. Use a flathead screwdriver or small pry bar to get clearance for the bottom part of the hinge.

Don't forget to tighten everything well when you're done. If you use washers just barely thick enough to get a smidgen of clearance you won't really have a problem with odd panel gaps nor with the door striker/lock mechanism.

Replace hinge with a working one asap

Good luck!
Old 02-09-16, 01:16 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by setwire

I think this is exactly what happened to me. My car was at the shop 2 weeks ago and the door has had a little hitch in its giddyup ever since. I figured the hinge was sagging or something, like maybe a big mechanic had leaned on the door, but took a closer look today and noticed it's nicking the fender when opened.
Old 02-10-16, 08:24 AM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Body sag while a car is on the lift can cause door catch on tightly aligned cars such as our SC's but should go away once car is back on it's tires. Single driver cars and all cars wear the driver door hinge pins and bushings out first because that door is used the most, adjusting body parts to stop this is just a temp fix as hinge is still wore out. Go buy new pins and bushings and rebuild your door hinge or get a new hinge. Only way to fix it right.��
Old 02-10-16, 09:29 AM
LoudonMan
Rookie

Until you get you door hinges replaced, remove one bolt fro the half-round device the holds the door open. This will remove the tension, and stop the door from being pinched until you are able to do a permanent fix.
Old 02-10-16, 09:45 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

My door swings just find and there is no rubbing on the fender but the hinge is squeaking and I can hear a metal on metal grinding. Can I just repack it with grease or does it need to be rebuilt? If so, what kind of grease?
Old 02-10-16, 03:38 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I seem to have fixed mine, at least for now, by pulling outward on the front edge of the door just as it begins to swing open. That got the articulating portion of the hinge freed up, at which point it functioned as normal. It's probably been a year since I added white lithium to the hinges, so I went back over it just to be safe.
Old 02-10-16, 05:35 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adjust fender, or adjust hinge, if it still does it your door hinge is sagging and you need another one
Old 02-23-16, 12:57 AM
Helieng
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, you will find the problem is with the hinge, can be worn pins and bearings, and when the door touches the fender it will be worn bearings on the fixed link that are riveted to the hinge. New or reco hinge required, be warned that most s/'hand original hinges are all worn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My door keeps hitting the front fender