Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-08, 07:18 PM
ShiftyD2k
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice.. anyone who know about install door lock actuator on passenger door??
Old 12-23-08, 08:33 AM
INDO
Driver School Candidate

good stuff... my passenger side went out yesterday and drivers side went out today. Hopefully this works out for me!
Old 12-27-08, 12:44 AM
ShiftyD2k
Lead Lap

My friend have problem with power lock passengers side.. any idea?
Old 12-27-08, 02:21 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eroc75
Yeah, my Toyota dealership is acting like they can't get this damn part. Anywhere I can order it? Anybody know at all?
that little clip, i had spair ae86 doors in my back yard and on day i was striping the door and it uses those same clips, so im guessing any toyota with handles that must be pulled up uses those clips...

Originally Posted by DriftKing2
My friend have problem with power lock passengers side.. any idea?
yea, go here.
Old 02-09-09, 11:04 PM
skurd3da1
Driver School Candidate

Little plastic clip can be found at your local kragen and advance auto parts. Not exact the same but the one that I bought this morning works like a charm. $3 for five different kinds but the white one is the closest match. No need to order one from the dealership.
Old 02-10-09, 08:06 PM
Timo5701
Rookie

Ok so I had them same problem, broken outer handle clip. Loaned out my car & the jack *** just had to roll down the windows. Broke the rod to the latch new part is $280 from the dealer so I bought a used one for $50 & felt lucky. Oh yeah correct way to install new clip is clip in handle, rod in clip. Have fun!!
Old 02-11-09, 01:15 AM
SC34M3
Advanced

got mines at the dealer for $3 but that didn't work still. thinking of replacing the whole assembly...how do you removed the motor? sitting way in the back and don't see any screws.
Old 03-09-09, 07:55 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks to CL and all the helpful posts.. just did this.
Old 04-12-09, 03:41 PM
dlrjr327
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skurd3da1
Little plastic clip can be found at your local kragen and advance auto parts. Not exact the same but the one that I bought this morning works like a charm. $3 for five different kinds but the white one is the closest match. No need to order one from the dealership.
The white piece that is the most similar wouldnt happen to be the ones made for gm or chrysler would it?
Old 06-25-09, 07:47 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys, forget about the plastic piece. I found a ghetto and even cheaper way to fix the problem. The end of my rod broke, and the plastic clip broke, but I was able to fix it with just some zip ties. All you have to do is place the arched end of the rod back onto the door actuator thing where it once was, you don't really need the extra metal part because it's mainly there to keep the rod attached to the door actuator (so that dumb people end up thinking they have to replace the whole door actuator when the rod breaks). Once you place the rod back on the perch that it goes on, place the rod in the hole and lasso a zip-tie around the hole and rod. I put two zip ties around it and secure it really tight, then I put another one at the end of the rod so that it doesn't fall off. It works like a charm. No need to remove the door actuator or anything (it was a pain in the *** to do, I did it just to find out I didn't have to). Anyways, my door opens just fine now, I've been testing it like crazy.
Old 06-25-09, 12:52 PM
yong32986
Rookie

the end of my rod broke, been trying to find a way to fix it BEFORE my driver side breaks down. romeo291 Your way of fixing it seems nice and easy, but not really get the picture, Can you post some pics, tha will help me alot, thanks
Old 07-03-09, 06:03 PM
yong32986
Rookie

finally got the door fixed, but not sure how long it will last. anyway, the rod end broke off like the others did, i turned the smaller "U" shape piece up side down and solder it to the rod , and stick it back to actuator, it works..
Old 07-11-09, 11:29 AM
poetik
Rookie

I just finished doing this on my passenger door. Honestly just like romeo said you can do this with just zipties and trust me it is a ton easier (on the wallet, time, and skill) than actually replacing the whole unit. After fixing it, my passenger door actually feels better to open than my non-broken driver's side.

Here is my whole process for fixing my passenger side:

1. Ordered the plastic piece for around $8 shipped off one of the links on this thread. (Came in a pair)
2. Took my door panel off.
3. Put the plastic piece into the hole where it goes to on the door handle.
4. Put the broken part of the rod onto the the opening mechanism.
5. Locked the rod into the plastic piece.
6. Pulled door handle and saw if the rod was actually doing its job in the door actuator.
7. Carefully zip tied the bottom part of the rod to a wire harness that's a few inches to the left of the rod. (That way the rod doesn't pop off of the mechanism)

It works perfect and all you need is the plastic piece and a pack of zip ties. I would definitely use the plastic piece for the hole because getting a zip tie around that is really hard unless you have childlike/feminine small hands.

Total cost: Around $10
Total time: Less than an hour if you know what you're doing.

Also gotta thank romeo291 for coming up with the idea. I was actually gonna buy a whole door actuator today until I saw your post.
Old 07-12-09, 06:10 AM
pioww
Rookie

bumpin this as I plan on fixing on mine today.
Old 07-12-09, 06:35 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by poetik
I just finished doing this on my passenger door. Honestly just like romeo said you can do this with just zipties and trust me it is a ton easier (on the wallet, time, and skill) than actually replacing the whole unit. After fixing it, my passenger door actually feels better to open than my non-broken driver's side.

Here is my whole process for fixing my passenger side:

1. Ordered the plastic piece for around $8 shipped off one of the links on this thread. (Came in a pair)
2. Took my door panel off.
3. Put the plastic piece into the hole where it goes to on the door handle.
4. Put the broken part of the rod onto the the opening mechanism.
5. Locked the rod into the plastic piece.
6. Pulled door handle and saw if the rod was actually doing its job in the door actuator.
7. Carefully zip tied the bottom part of the rod to a wire harness that's a few inches to the left of the rod. (That way the rod doesn't pop off of the mechanism)

It works perfect and all you need is the plastic piece and a pack of zip ties. I would definitely use the plastic piece for the hole because getting a zip tie around that is really hard unless you have childlike/feminine small hands.

Total cost: Around $10
Total time: Less than an hour if you know what you're doing.

Also gotta thank romeo291 for coming up with the idea. I was actually gonna buy a whole door actuator today until I saw your post.
Nice work dude, the trick is definitely securing the rod to the mechanism, oh, I was also able to lasso zip ties to where the rod goes into that hole, you just gotta use needle nose pliers to loop an already looped zip tie over it and pull to tighten. It wasn't that hard. Lasso a few to secure it real good.

Quick Reply: So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics