Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-10, 03:01 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OaklandLex
Wat do you mean mess up? now im nervous to do it lol the glue does sound better though if you say the zip tie was only temporary
say you put the glue on the metal end piece and you place it in the wrong spot it could get stuck.. idk it took me a few tries before i could get it to work.
Old 08-21-10, 05:27 AM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im having weird problems with mine . i got mine on the other day and popped it back in opened it a few times and closed it no problems . then when i went to lock it. it just got stuck all together. inside and outside wouldnt open. so i took the rod back off the door handle opend right back up went back home gressed it a little bit then putt it all back togther again , now this weird thing is happng that i cant figure out . ok so when u open the inside door handle the outside lifts up as well its kinda funy lookin . haha if u pretend no one was in the car and u ducked down in the seats and opend it from the insid it would look like from the outside someone was opening it up like a ghost haha. anyway back to being serious does anyone knw y this does that.
Old 08-21-10, 12:45 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jz
say you put the glue on the metal end piece and you place it in the wrong spot it could get stuck.. idk it took me a few tries before i could get it to work.
You have a point..zip ties it is I guess
Old 08-21-10, 05:35 PM
SirThadeus
Driver School Candidate

I'm trying the replace the actuator for the door, but the bottom screw on the window rail is messed up. I can't twist it cause the previous owner ruined the head. I can't move it to take out the actuator. I was thinking of removing the window so I can pull the window rail out and just break the screw I can't get out and just replacing it. How can I remove the window? Or is there a better way of doing this?
Old 08-25-10, 11:22 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Bumping this so i could remember to ghetto rig it and zip tie it in the near future lol
Old 08-31-10, 11:38 AM
JoeBazz
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

great thread.very helpful. good pics.$4.00 and change from Manhattan Lexus.bent the rod back and it didn't break. so far so good.putting the plastic clip on the handle first then slip in the rod was easier.if this happens to you and your door wont open from the outside handle...DO NOT OPEN THE WINDOW!!
Old 09-01-10, 12:05 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Does anyone know if the rod mechanism off a toyota solara will be compatible with the SC? Im going to pick-n-pull and I want to know if the solara is also an option
Old 10-10-10, 10:24 PM
gibbons17
Driver School Candidate

i need a rod if anyone knows about getting just that not trying to fork out alot on the whole set up
Old 10-10-10, 10:35 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gibbons17
i need a rod if anyone knows about getting just that not trying to fork out alot on the whole set up
Try a local junkyard
Old 12-25-10, 10:08 AM
phermes1
Driver School Candidate

Wondering if anyone can help me with a related problem. The plastic clip broke on my driver's side, I went to the dealership, got a replacement, and fixed it. So the outside handle works perfectly now. Thanks for sharing how to fix this, btw!

My problem; now the inside handle doesn't work, and I have no idea why. It seems like the cable can't pull far enough to open it, but everything seems in the right place, and I really don't have any idea how to adjust the cable, or what to do in order to make it work right. Any ideas?
Old 12-25-10, 12:45 PM
ric4044
Driver School Candidate

You may have to take the panel off the passenger side and look at how your cable is connected. Make sure both ends are properly secured in the grooves/hooks. And towards the inside door handle end, your cables also have a couple of clips that secure the cable itself (these clips keep the cable in place and straight when you go to pull on the inside handle). You'll see what I'm talking about when you take off the other panel.
Old 12-26-10, 06:28 PM
darian28
Driver School Candidate

mine has the same problem it sucks lol
but ill do this sometime this week
Old 12-27-10, 03:54 AM
phermes1
Driver School Candidate

OK, thanks. Yeah, I think that's the only thing I really can do at this point. Sucks. I knew the fix just didn't take enough time the first go-round. Replacing the plastic clip took all of 15 minutes, including taking the door panel off.

Still, the inside handle is easier to tolerate than the outside being broken. Now I just have to roll down the window to open the door using the outside handle - before I had to get in from the passenger side to open the door, and that blows.
Old 12-27-10, 01:06 PM
rbigshow04
Rookie

Originally Posted by phermes1
OK, thanks. Yeah, I think that's the only thing I really can do at this point. Sucks. I knew the fix just didn't take enough time the first go-round. Replacing the plastic clip took all of 15 minutes, including taking the door panel off.

Still, the inside handle is easier to tolerate than the outside being broken. Now I just have to roll down the window to open the door using the outside handle - before I had to get in from the passenger side to open the door, and that blows.
I used to get in the same way lol.....Not anymore that gorilla glue works wonders I'm going on about a year hope it holds up a couple more lol
Old 03-19-11, 08:31 AM
Johnnilam
Driver School Candidate

thanks you so much, save me money

Quick Reply: So your door handle doesnt work - DIY w/ pics