Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My car has a little over 200k on it...can i put..Nitrous (NOS)?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 07:52 AM
1badceli
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question My car has a little over 200k on it...can i put..Nitrous (NOS)?!

My SC400 has a little over 200k on the motor. I was wondering would it be safe to put nitrous on it? The car does not leak anything or smoke at all!! I was looking into adding nitrous for now until i do my swap?! And how much can i put....50 shot....65 shot....75 shot....100 shot and still be safe?!?! Please let me know. And should it be a wet or dry kit as well!! Thanks, Dan.

Last edited by 1badceli; 01-25-06 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 09:10 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your about to do a swap spray the hell out of it but make sure its a wet kit and you have something to retard timing such as crane trc-1 or the mallory timing retard box or the msd counter part. id say start with a 75 and work your way up see how far you can go once you start getting to a higher shot you may want to step up the fuel jet higher than the nitrous jet comparativly
Old 01-25-06, 09:54 AM
1badceli
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soarer479
if your about to do a swap spray the hell out of it but make sure its a wet kit and you have something to retard timing such as crane trc-1 or the mallory timing retard box or the msd counter part. id say start with a 75 and work your way up see how far you can go once you start getting to a higher shot you may want to step up the fuel jet higher than the nitrous jet comparativly

Well even though i am doing a swap i dont want to blow the motor right now. I want it to last me for a bit yet. This is my daily sriver right now but want it to be a little more fun. So i need to know what the higest and safest shot would be on my 200k and some change motor?!?! And will i need a fuel pump as well?!?!
Old 01-25-06, 10:59 AM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badceli
Well even though i am doing a swap i dont want to blow the motor right now. I want it to last me for a bit yet. This is my daily sriver right now but want it to be a little more fun. So i need to know what the higest and safest shot would be on my 200k and some change motor?!?! And will i need a fuel pump as well?!?!
I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I do think the fuel pump upgrade would be a good idea in the first place. One reason is that it will be good for the swap and second it will be good for now. That being said I would do all the maintanence stuff like water pump, fuel filter, timing belt, etc.... Maybe also flush the transmission and rear diff. Of course thats my 2 cents about it.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-25-06, 12:41 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

these guys are right. Before you spray do all the maintenance to make sure everything is in good shape. Get a compression test too if you want.

I'm running a Nitrous express 150 wet shot on my SC400 with 150,000 miles. I added a Walbro 255 pump first for piece of mind. Colder plugs, Zex bottle warmer, NX tps switch, NX gauge, and B&M fuel pressure gauge with hollow bolt which you need to tap for fuel.

PS disable your traction control if you have it

I was rich as hell on the dyno and put down 267 whp. I have a safcII now and the warmer so I'll back to the dyno eventually for tuning.
Old 01-26-06, 12:17 AM
1badceli
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
these guys are right. Before you spray do all the maintenance to make sure everything is in good shape. Get a compression test too if you want.

I'm running a Nitrous express 150 wet shot on my SC400 with 150,000 miles. I added a Walbro 255 pump first for piece of mind. Colder plugs, Zex bottle warmer, NX tps switch, NX gauge, and B&M fuel pressure gauge with hollow bolt which you need to tap for fuel.

PS disable your traction control if you have it

I was rich as hell on the dyno and put down 267 whp. I have a safcII now and the warmer so I'll back to the dyno eventually for tuning.

Did you ever run it with NOS? If so...what did you get at the track??
Old 01-26-06, 12:36 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

I've never used a Nitrous Oxide System (NOS) kit. I've used Zex on previous rides and now NX.

I haven't run it at the track yet.

I don't expect much because a) the car is heavy b) the tranny and torque convertor are slow c) no traction with open diff and street tires.

Its fun for highway runs and extra power around town.
Old 01-26-06, 12:42 AM
1badceli
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
I've never used a Nitrous Oxide System (NOS) kit. I've used Zex on previous rides and now NX.

I haven't run it at the track yet.

I don't expect much because a) the car is heavy b) the tranny and torque convertor are slow c) no traction with open diff and street tires.

Its fun for highway runs and extra power around town.
I am either gonna do a ZEX wet kit or some kind of direct port?!?! I was thinking either a 75 shot or 100 shot. I just want to throw this on. and maybe the fuel pump. The car does not smoke at all or leak anything. And it is fairly quck for what it is. So i know it has good compression. But i dont want to put all new timing belt and water pump and crap like that if the motor is coming out. I want to throw a little something-something in there right now just for fun!! And hope it lasts me a few months or so?!?!