Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ-GTE Twin Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 12:05 PM
cundiffw
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ-GTE Twin Upgrade

Hey guys. Ive searched my *** off on here and I cant find anything so please dont flame. Im looking to see whos gone the route of upgrading the twins on their 1jz rather than going single. I like the idea of retaining my low end to midrange power. Any custom setups...kits....dyno numbers? Id appreciate your help. Thanks.
-Bill
Old 01-18-06, 12:24 PM
sc.Fred
Instructor

i believe Mike Urbano (R.I.P) used to have an HKS twin turbo setup on his 1j...

it has huge power in the low end, wouldn't mind getting the kit but would cost an arm and a leg
Old 01-18-06, 12:27 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe there is no such thing as an aftermarket sequential twin turbo system. That means, if you go with aftermarket twins, they'll both always be online. Only way to keep the sequential and have sufficient power are 2jz twins maxed out....

Edit : your other option is to go with a smaller single.
Old 01-18-06, 02:09 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

smaller single is the better option imo. You could always a make a custom setup
Old 01-18-06, 04:51 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can also modify your stock turbos...

but i agree... a small single would be your best bet for what you're trying to achieve
Old 01-18-06, 05:49 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
I believe there is no such thing as an aftermarket sequential twin turbo system. That means, if you go with aftermarket twins, they'll both always be online. Only way to keep the sequential and have sufficient power are 2jz twins maxed out....

Edit : your other option is to go with a smaller single.
thats correct there are no aftermarket sequential kits for the 1jz. and the 1jz never had a sequential set up only the 2jz had that.
also the turbos from the 2jz wont fit on the 1jz without modifications. I belive starlet turbos will(check planet soarer.com)
some people have made as much as 400+ on the stock twins but those are extreme cases
lastly HKS and Blitz have twin turbo kits for the 1jz.
thats all i have off the top of my head.
Old 01-18-06, 06:41 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Just clarifying that the 1JZ turbos are non-sequential.
Old 01-19-06, 12:07 PM
SoarerNY
Driver School Candidate

So, keeping in mind that we're no mega millionnaire's here, what is an economical way to build a reliable small single turbo system for the 1jz motor that can put 400hp to the ground? Where would you get the parts and how much do you think it would cost?
Old 01-19-06, 12:14 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SoarerNY
So, keeping in mind that we're no mega millionnaire's here, what is an economical way to build a reliable small single turbo system for the 1jz motor that can put 400hp to the ground? Where would you get the parts and how much do you think it would cost?

First, you don't need to be a 'mega-millionare' to build a single turbo, especially if you were budgeted for the 1jz in the first place. After a 1jz, if you want a single turbo upgrade, you can looking up to 5grand. If you're smart with looking for parts and know how to install it yourself, you can save a substantial amount of money.

Second, search.
Old 01-19-06, 04:07 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

sae has a custom twin set up on his white SC. he would be the one to talk to.... i think he has had about 3 different set ups over time. personally, i would rather stick with twins over going with a small single. but thats personal preferences. why not just get some steel blades for the ct12s and have them ballanced. they should be able to handle plenty of boost that way.
Old 01-19-06, 04:25 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
sae has a custom twin set up on his white SC. he would be the one to talk to.... i think he has had about 3 different set ups over time. personally, i would rather stick with twins over going with a small single. but thats personal preferences. why not just get some steel blades for the ct12s and have them ballanced. they should be able to handle plenty of boost that way.

modify stock turbos

www.turbocity.com does it
Old 01-30-06, 04:04 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ummagawd
modify stock turbos

www.turbocity.com does it
Do what? Are you serious? Having a nice set of refurb'd 1jz turbos with steel blades and ported housings would be fricking sweet.

Drop in a set of JDM 2jz-gte 440 injectors and 1.3bar MAP sensor and you're golden for some nice power figures.
Old 01-30-06, 04:48 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

GT40R ftw
Old 01-30-06, 05:41 PM
suprang
Rookie

my buddy over here has a twin blitz kit, hes got the twin k26s, came with full piping (thank god) and everything. Kit is nice, spools late but pulls hard to end and linear. It looks awesome, but its not very practical, ide give up if i had to make piping for that kit. Plus its more lines, more heat, more chances of failure. If you wanna do it for the hell of it go for it, but if its strictly a performance thing just go big single.

Ang
Old 01-30-06, 07:44 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

I definatly agree with ki_soarer get the metal blades. The ct12a's are just too weak with their ceramic compressor blades. these links are for three consecutive pages in a magazine on how to replace the ct12a's with the metal bladed CT9 turbos form the Starlet. they made 14kW more or about 18.8hp with now bottem end loss and potential for more alot topend with a boost controller.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/pdf/CT12a1.pdf
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/pdf/CT12a2.pdf
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/pdf/CT12a3.pdf

Quick Reply: 1JZ-GTE Twin Upgrade