Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Trans mount, binding brakes, toyota parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 07:53 AM
cip
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans mount, binding brakes, toyota parts

Well that title should about cover it!

Needless to say I have a couple issues/questions. 1st, I'm wondering if my trans mount is shot.
I've looked at
http://www.planetsoarer.com/enginemo...ginemounts.htm
and it looks more like Aaron's pic where it's not shiny black (the one by the tape measure (t's definitely not like the broken mount)) . Can anyone verify how to get Toyota part numbers for these cars? Every parts store I call or go to says dealership part only..but Lexus naturally wants ~$400 to do the trans mount. I found posts that show this is an easy job, but I can't find a cross-reference site for Toyota part numbers. Where do you guys get that info (I've seen Toyota PN's in many other posts...and yes I exhaustively search before opening new Posts )?

Also, I've noticed the past few days, my brakes seem to be dragging or binding. I searched and found some suggestions that look like poor brake jobs (lack of proper cleaniing/lubing) but the dealership did the front brakes b4 I bought the car (last month).

Any help/reference is very appreciated.

side question...how do I post pic's on here???
Old 01-17-06, 09:08 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cip, welcome to CL.

I'm glad to see you are researching info for your car. The CL database is full of just the answers you are looking for. I'll give you a hand.

To start. try one of our vendors here at CL
https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/link/category/3/ - This will link you to the CL vendor/sponsor area.

Another site I like to use is www.irontoad.com - very good prices

Here's a link to instructions on posting pictures.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...362#post971362

As for the brakes. If it were me, I would disassemble, then reassemble my calipers (bracket and pads only - not pistons), just to ensure proper assembly. But I'm also borderline insane so.........
Old 01-17-06, 09:09 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196089

Thats trans mount. I got it from sewell Lexus. Just do an online quote and they'll find the tranny part number you need.
Old 01-17-06, 12:18 PM
cip
Pole Position

Thanks for the info guys. It was a bad caliper, he's chekcing the rotors to see if they're within specs to save me some $$, but I know I'm keeping this car for a while, so if I need new rotors I'll get 'em. It's goign to be $620 for 2 new calipers, 2 new rotors, new ceramic pads, 2 new hoses, and bleed the system. These guys (Merlin) always takes care of me and now at least I have the lifetime warranty on the brakes Does this sound reasonable to you guys? I know it's less that the dealer.

On the trans mount, they checked & said itrans & engine mounts look good, but I'm going to replace soon anyway (when it gets warmer).

Thanks again guys..I'm waiting for a call back from the dealer that replaced the front brakes when I bought it (only 1 month ago) Does that sound possible to you guys, that 1K mi ago the calipers looked fine, then dies??
Old 01-17-06, 12:58 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

A piston could have been failing. Without a rebuild being done, it more than likely would have gone unnoticed.

Is $620 good for that? Too subjective. To me? No. I like to do my own work and source my own parts. Parts total would have been no more than $200-$250. This would be with used calipers that I would rebuild and clean. But, it also would have been a LS400 caliper which is bigger than the SC400. But again, that's just me.

The $620 is more than likely a fair deal for a competent shop. I don't think I would complain.
Old 01-17-06, 01:14 PM
cip
Pole Position

Yeah, I follow what you're saying. It's one of those things though; if I can plan my downtime, I'll do it myself (plugs, trans mount, etc.) but when I need the car to be available now, I have to suck it up.

So you do believe it is possible the Lexus techs did not notice anything w/ the calipers when they replaced the pads & turned the rotors? OK, just wanted some experience to validate that for me.

BTW, I can't find East Bumble F, NJ on the map...
Old 01-17-06, 01:43 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by cip
Yeah, I follow what you're saying. It's one of those things though; if I can plan my downtime, I'll do it myself (plugs, trans mount, etc.) but when I need the car to be available now, I have to suck it up.

So you do believe it is possible the Lexus techs did not notice anything w/ the calipers when they replaced the pads & turned the rotors? OK, just wanted some experience to validate that for me.

BTW, I can't find East Bumble F, NJ on the map...

It's not to far from "the 'burbs" .

Yeah, I think a tech could overlook it. I would hope he wouldn't but it's possible,