Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY - How To: Transmission Mount Change SC300/SC400 5spd or Auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 12:43 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well it depends, apparently the manhole cover i slammed into ripped my tranny mount in half and screwed up my motor mounts as well, which were probably on their way out anyways. I got the car on jackstands to see whats up under my car, my new tranny mount is still intact but my motor mounts are totally gone, thats whats making all the noise on my car.

myLex, if your car still has vibrations or making noises after the transmission mount then yes replace the motor mounts as well.
Old 09-08-13, 12:47 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

heres how much i paid for the transmission mount and 4 new transmission bolts

Item Description Status Unit Price Quantity Line Total
MOUNT, TRANSMISSION MOUNTING, REAR NO.1
Ready To Ship $62.98 1 $62.98
BOLT, W/WASHER
Ready To Ship $0.90 4 $3.60
Subtotal: $66.58
Tax: $0.00
GROUND HOME DELIVERY: $12.86
Grand Total: $79.44

for the two motor mounts
12360 1236050110
INSULATOR ASSEMBLY, ENGINE MOUNTING, FRONT 02 In Stock CL Price $86.74 +12 shipping

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjurisprudencia/9568322608/http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjurisprudencia/9568322608/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/pjurisprudencia/, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjurisprudencia/9568321824/http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjurisprudencia/9568321824/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/pjurisprudencia/, on Flickr
clearly i had an aftermarket one at 155k.

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 09-08-13 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 07:12 PM
DJRekon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It makes a world of difference, i don't know why i didn't change it out 4 years ago lol
Old 09-11-13, 11:45 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone make their tranny mount into a solid?
Old 09-12-13, 12:08 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

it wouldnt be too hard at all, wouldnt we feel more vibrations?
Old 09-23-13, 10:57 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

For the MT mounts how does it help getting into gear like reverse (easier), because I thought the shifter is directly on the transmission anyway?

But I have looked at mine and confirmed the compressed / shortened appearace of the mount..
do you guys think this would correct the drive shaft geometry and make the drive train whine quieter.
Old 10-10-13, 04:48 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a question: Will bad motor mounts cause a new transmission mount to fail in say, just a few thousand miles?
Old 06-11-14, 09:34 AM
vnaicker91
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changed my 5spd transmission mount last week on my 93 sc300. This is a great write up. I followed the directions step by step and I can honestly say from all the transmission or engine mounts i've replaced in different cars over the years, this one was the easiest to do. It actually took me more time to get the car up high enough and secure on jack stands than to actually take off the old mount and replace it with a new 93 supra n/a m/t mount.

While i was under the car i drained and refilled the transmission with Redline mt90 75w90 and did the same with the differential Redline gear oil 75w90.

The transmission mount took about 20minutes to do, and the car feels better now. No shaking or vibrating in the car, smoother accelerating from a stop. Better pick up at freeway speeds and overall a more responsive feeling transmission. The car doesnt jerk like crazy on hard shifts and the shifter doesnt shake on idle. I also did the Marlin Crawler shifter bushings while i was doing the mounts, since i had to refill the transmission through the shifter. Those shifter bushings are also a Must Do mod.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (07-03-21)
Old 06-20-14, 11:29 AM
boogielex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will this work for an auto sc400?
Old 06-23-14, 06:25 AM
Rementis
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boogielex
will this work for an auto sc400?
Yes. It's a great cheap upgrade.
Old 07-19-14, 10:03 AM
pcolex
Driver School Candidate

Hi I got a 1993 SC400 a couple weeks ago and just joined this forum today. Sorry if I'm screwing up already. Anyway I had symptoms of vibration around 30-45 MPH, harder shifting, tranny noise, etc. All these pointed me to this thread, replacing the transmission mount. I just replaced it and man what a difference. No more vibration, smoother shifting, quieter drive, etc.

My replacement took a little longer because my mount was pretty deformed. There were a couple flanges that must have bent, which were obstructing the bolts that go into the tranny. I could not get a socket on the bolts! I also could not pry or hammer the flanges out of the way. Here's what I did - pried off the bottom plate also pulling the poly 'bushings' off, giving me access to just the plate that mounts onto the tranny. I then used a cutoff wheel to cut away the bent flanges, giving my access to the bolts.

When I put the new mount on I was a little freaked out I bought an incorrect mount because the tranny was at least 1.5 inches too low. Maybe 2 inches. I simply raised the tranny up and everything fit. That's how bad the old mount was...it made the tranny hang WAY TOO LOW. It was seriously deformed. Needless to say I am pretty darned happy.

BTW I got the mount on ebay from qeautoparts1 for $62 including shipping I think

Last edited by pcolex; 07-19-14 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-04-14, 05:56 PM
HotepMaat
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibrations, Roaring.

Originally Posted by CLRH2O
I installed my new mount 4 days ago... and besides it just being great to have a new part in there (and that the old one was nearly in two pieces when I removed it) it's done NOTHING at all for my vibration. Next I'll replace the Engine Mounts. Then if that's not it, I'll check the center drive shaft bearing. If that's not it I'll look at the U-Joint more closely (although that looks prim and proper to the eye). If THATs not it..... man I don't know?!~ Unbalanced tire? Watch it be that too....... lol - my luck.

Anyway, yeah - new tranny mount here as well and that's all good - but it's not the fix for everyone's 70mph vibration.
Flex Joint/Disk, S

eparator

Flex Disk, Rear/Front Drive Shaft

Coupling, Rear/Front Flex Disk, Separator
Old 09-25-14, 08:55 PM
Rezist89
Rookie

need part number list?
Old 09-25-14, 08:58 PM
Rezist89
Rookie

whats the part number for the auto im looking in rockauto for the trans mount,ngk plug wire and motor mounts?
Old 09-26-14, 12:08 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by acenase
What size are the bolts??
In case this never got answered on subsequent pages, the bolts holding the lower brace on are 14mm and the rest are 12mm. At least, that was the case on my A/T SC400.

I just spent the past 3+ hours working on what should have been a sub-30 minute job. Swapping out the mount was pretty easy, but I failed miserably at getting the lower brace back on. One of the bolts refuses to go back in. I tried everything I could think of, including cleaning up the threads with a file, and still no luck. I'll probably have to search for a replacement bolt and hope the part it threads into isn't in similarly bad shape. That or have the mechanic give it a try.

Unfortunately, my version has only two bolts on each side of the brace, not four each like pictured in the first post. I don't know how safe it is to drive with just one bolt in place on the problematic side.

The good news is, my old mount was in much worse shape than I expected. I only have a little bit of the telltale highway vibration, so I was thinking it would be passable but worth swapping out. Turns out, it was completely compressed.

Quick Reply: DIY - How To: Transmission Mount Change SC300/SC400 5spd or Auto