Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

car died while driving

Old 01-10-06, 07:48 PM
recoil
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car died while driving

well boys, this is sort of a head scratcher...

i ran a search on this issue and got some good info but thought id post to get some direct ideas.

anyway, heres the problem... (its a 1992 SC400)

driving back from work i had my AIR BAG light start flashing (seemed random)... when id brake the light seemed to go off but then return to flash once id return to crusing velocity.

this lasted for about an hour, i pulled over and checked my fuses , then continued driving, the same issue persisted...

then, after about an hour of this, the CRUISE light started flashing simotenously with the AIR BAG light... then, after about 5 mins of this, on the highway, without any drama, no explosion, no smoke, the car just turned itself off....

so i tried running the codes as described by other members... im new to this process but it was very weird, i had pretty much al the lights start flashing except for the check engine... very confusing.. maybe i didnt jump the right ports so ill try again tomorrow

also installed BRAND NEW battery, car does not want to start.. turns over but it seems to alck something to complete the "starting chemsitry"

just hoping some of you may have an idea what caused this....

il be doing more toubleshooting asap.

thanks guys

Last edited by recoil; 01-10-06 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-10-06, 08:13 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

never happened with my sc but with my isuzu driving back from the rodeo- (i know)- my trucks brake lights started flashing then the truck died- found out it was the altinator- but im not sure - thats all i got bro- goodluck
Old 01-10-06, 08:28 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

i just had something similar couple of days ago, but mine would not crank, i jump started it, it ran for a while and wife went to school and got maybe 15 miles away and it died in the middle of the road, i drove it back and it died 2 times on me, luckily mechanic was on the way i stopped by and they said it was the alternator

the chemistry with internal combustion engines is simple
fuel
electricity
timing
compression

anyways, i'd start with the alternator and battery

good luck

Last edited by vredniykot; 01-10-06 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-10-06, 08:58 PM
recoil
Rookie

well, thats what i thought first. the alternator died.. so i got a new alt and pwr steering pump.. did not isntall them yet becuse i thought that id do the simple new battery test...

i got a brand new batt in the car so techncially the thing should start even with a dead/weak alternator...

it does not...

i also listened to the fuel pump with the key set to ON.. i could swear i didnt hear it running/ priming. could this be realted to the fuel pump ecu?

im going ot try and jump the FP and +B ports to bypass the fuel ecu tomorrow. sugestions?
Old 01-10-06, 09:25 PM
Kilo
Instructor

Same EXACT thing happened to me - lighst flashing, headlight cutting off, then car dies on highway while driving.

I replaced the battery first, then Alternator - nothing. It turned out to be a bad crank pulley. Hope my bad experience helps.
Old 01-12-06, 01:23 AM
posterboi
Driver

I'll do some research. Do you have any extra amenities in your ride like T.V.'s?
Old 01-12-06, 07:27 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be a loose earth strap, bad grounding or a weak connection between the battery and the terminals. Try these before swapping alternators etc.
Old 01-12-06, 04:02 PM
recoil
Rookie

problem found.. my AFTERMARKET alarm system was causing a short and blowing ignition fuse

time to get that **** pulled out. thanks guys
Old 01-18-06, 09:14 PM
got_Remy
Rookie

got the same problem today with my 92 sc400....was drinving around for about 5 mins....next thing lights starts dimming....then i turned the radio off....drove for about 3 more miles on my way home....2 block before my house stopped @ the stop sign..then the car shuts off.....jumstarted the cars couldn't even drive for a block then the car shuts....i think its my alternator...waht do you guys think???