Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

funky comp test #'s...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 03:25 PM
ted17
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default funky comp test #'s...

i decide top do a comp test 1st just to see what i'd get.

I drove the car for about 15 mins and then did the comp test. here are the results - starting from the front of the car 223,203,235,237,190,200 i then put a cap full of oil in to the 2nd cy and the comp test came up to 235 and i did the same to the 5th and got 203. I found a lot off oil on 4 out of 6 plugs some had grime on then and some just had oil. From search im guessing its a bad valve cover gasket...plugs had lots of oil on the bottom and ther was some oil on the wire boot that connects to the top of the plug.

Does anyone know what this could mean? i and yes i did a search

I did a search and saw someone say standard comp 160?

wouldnt a bad hg = very low compression numbers?

The car runs rough when 1st started its sounds like it sputters and idles high around 1500rpms and slowly comes down to 800 after 3 or 4 mins of idle time. . it shoots out a lot of thick white smoke and sometimes smells like coolant and sometimes it smells like gas. Car does leak oil
bad valve gasket.

Imma redo the compression test again when the new spark wires come in the. One of the dam wires was soo beat up it just tore.

I cant believe i bought such a beat up sc300....
Old 01-06-06, 03:35 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

thanks ted.... want to see where this goes then i'll throw my .03 in.
answer my other Q's on the other thread when you can so i know
where i'm at.

john
Old 01-07-06, 01:33 PM
scoarer
Pole Position

I recenctly did a compression test too when my car started jerking and the idle kept droping and the results were 160, 160,180,180,190,160... I think the standard pressure is 178 according to repair manual. I cleaned the sparks and intake manifolds, now she drives great. When u were doing the comp. test, how many times did u allow it to crank..I think 4 times is good and a fully charged battery will also show more accurate results...
Old 01-07-06, 01:48 PM
ted17
Pole Position

i let it crank for 6 times.
Old 01-08-06, 12:45 AM
dirtylude
Driver School Candidate

a bad head gasket has very little to do with compression numbers. your cylinders are sealed by the valve seals and the piston rings. the main thing you want to look for in a compression test is consistency throughout the cylinders....and your numbers arent very consistent. i cant say what the average cylinder pressure is in the 2jzge...but lets say its 180-190psi which would be about what a 8..7:1 compression cylinder would put out. all your numbers are pretty much above which tells me an abnormal build up in the cylinders leading to higher compression....meaning oil or fuel buildup on the pistons because they arent burning hot enough, or too much too burn.

and btw...what do you mean you put a "cap full of oil" in the two cylinders???? please tell me you didnt do what i think you did.

this is just my personal opinion, im not trying to say this is exactly whats wrong. but the oil directly in the cylinder doesnt sound tooo good.
Old 01-08-06, 11:56 AM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dirtylude

and btw...what do you mean you put a "cap full of oil" in the two cylinders???? please tell me you didnt do what i think you did.

this is just my personal opinion, im not trying to say this is exactly whats wrong. but the oil directly in the cylinder doesnt sound tooo good.
you do that to see if its the rings that are faulty.
Old 01-08-06, 01:44 PM
ted17
Pole Position

yea i was checking to see if the rings were bad learn that from nissian tech.
Old 01-08-06, 03:24 PM
dirtylude
Driver School Candidate

ok, that makes sense then. ive never heard of that trick though, interesting.
Old 01-10-06, 01:45 PM
ted17
Pole Position

Ok i just got my new wires and redid my comp test i drove the car for about 20 to 25 mins this time and my numbers still came out high but more consistant. starting from front to firewall the numbers are 230, 230, 230, 230, 230, 210 i did not round the numbers these are exaact ##'s. So what do you all think?

I can still the smell coolant burning...
Old 01-10-06, 03:12 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Are you doing this test with the throttle blade open? I've heard it can make a difference. At any rate you have less than 10% loss on 1 cylinder. I would consider checking your hose clamps if you still smell coolant.
Old 01-10-06, 03:47 PM
ted17
Pole Position

im sorry i met i can smell the coolant from the exhaust sorry about that. Hmm what do you mean by throttle blade?
Old 01-10-06, 03:56 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

I have a quick question, can you do a compression test without removing the IM or TB? I replaced my valve cover gaskets the other day and it was leaking so badly the spark plug journals were filled with oil, although that didnt help my smoking at idle one bit, so Im assuming that my valve seals are shot (go figure....thats what I get for buying a 96' w/ 116k on it).
Old 01-10-06, 04:09 PM
ted17
Pole Position

you dont need to remove the IM, all you need to do is remove the Tb and that will give you enough room to do your comp test.

How hard was it to to replace your vavlve cover gaskets? I know that mine is leaking towards the back near the firewall.
Old 01-10-06, 07:18 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

It wasnt too bad, probably took more time soaking up all the oil then anything....that and some of the bolts on the IM are a pain to get to (such as those for the EGR), but its not too bad at all. My VC gaskets had turned to a hard plastic and then cracked on the back pass. side so it was leaking oil on the cat making it smoke under the hood.....Ive never seen rubber turn to plastic until now, which makes me question toyotas gaskets in general.
Old 01-10-06, 07:40 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaiser
Are you doing this test with the throttle blade open? I've heard it can make a difference. At any rate you have less than 10% loss on 1 cylinder. I would consider checking your hose clamps if you still smell coolant.
ted, the #'s look much better this time relative to each other. with the fresh plugs & wires
is it running better? smoother?

how much coolant are you adding? if none @ this point, the smoking maybe something
else. fuel or oil possibly.

LOL 95integra, guess you havent replaced the valve cover gasket on your integra.
i've had to cut the remains out of the cover w/ a carpet knife on some hondas.

Quick Reply: funky comp test #'s...