Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

twin turbo Soarer GT to SC300 engine swap possibility

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-01, 10:57 PM
MrWigggles
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone transplanted a 2.5L twin turbo Soarer egine into a SC300?

A half-cut or half-clip of a Japanese Soarer can be imported from Japan or Australia for a reasonable amount of money (about $3K to my door)

Except for the intercooler which is usually damaged on the front of the car, the clips are usually have everything else.

Except for relocating the ECU to the right side of the car, is there anything else that would be needed to get the soarer's 1JZ-GTE powerplant to work in the US SC300?

I have a 1995 SC300 with 97K miles on it (95K were from the previous owner). It runs O.K. but definitely not as good as new. Instead of putting $1000 or more into the powertrain to get it up and running well and then going with a Toyomoto kit which would be about $8000 installed. Doing the engine swap would cost about $3000 for the front clip and then maybe $2000 for the labor to do the swap.

The 1JZ-GTE swap just makes more sense if it can be done fairly easily.

The Toyomoto kit will put out more power (about 360 HP versus 300 HP for the 1JZ-GTE at the rear wheels), but it is a lot more money and I would have to get my powertrain up and running well before attempting it.

Any info would be appreciated.

-Mr. Wigggles

Last edited by MrWigggles; 08-05-01 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-06-01, 05:48 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

might also think about the future...what are you gonna do when you need to have a service done to the car...i dont know what parts are compatible with the 1jz.....just a thought..also you dont know what the used motor has gone through before it got to you.....just things to consider...... Jeff
Old 08-06-01, 07:12 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a 1JZ-GTE on eBay a while back. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but decided againt it for that reason. I spoke with the local Lexus and Toyota parts dept's, and they were quoting me ungodly prices for parts (I checked on a valve spring, an exhaust manifold, a water pump, and a belt tensioner just for comparison). It seems as though no car in the US came with this engine...so all parts are imports.

It would be interesting to see tho! And I'm sure you could find a dealer in Australia that could supply you with whatever parts you needed. I can help out with that part....all of my relatives are over there. I'm the only one (un)lucky enough to still be here.

SR
Old 08-06-01, 08:16 AM
MrWigggles
Rookie

Jeff,

As always thanks for your response.

Toysport in California can supply some parts for the car. Other parts could come from Australia but I would be out of a car for at least a week if you needed the get a shipment from there.

At this point I think the Toyomoto is about the only way to go, but if someone had success with this engine swap, I think it still could be possible. I want to evaluate all of my options 100% before I spend that type of money.

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. As far as the ebay thing was concerned, it looked like a pretty good engine but it wasn't a half-cut and it might have come out of another Japanese car not the Soarer.
Old 08-06-01, 08:29 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default hey...

Hey... So you're considering the 1JZ? Sorry I couldnt find a 2JZ-GTE engine for you, but it seems that the 2JZ-GTE is too popular in Aus and are in high demand. The cheapest place I could Find a Soarer 1JZ-GTE Halfcut was AUS$1900. Unfortunately you cant really test a car engine out when there's only half a car...

Anyways, the 1JZ-GTE was very popular in Japan (and most other countries that got it), so the major Japanese tuning manufactures (HKS, GREDDY, etc. ) make performace parts for it, so internal parts shouldnt be that hard to come by if you ask for it. Didnt the 1JZ-GTE come on early model supra's? the MkIII supra in the US? Or did they only come with the 7M-GTE? not sure.

My opinion is to never buy parts from toyota/lexus as they are overpriced. There's always a better option from a local mechanic.

Toan.

Old 08-06-01, 08:36 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1900 AUS?! Thats 950USD! You know of any shipping companies to ship one of those this way? I may be interested if I can get one for a price like that!! Does the front half also include the ECU?

SR
Old 08-06-01, 09:10 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default lol....

It usually does... the ECU is located in the passenger footwell. Most front cuts occur after the transmission so I can imagine that it would be there. The only thing that might be missing is the fuel pump ECU which is located on the rear quarter. it operates on 2 stage like the supra, 9v and 12v full throttle (If I remember correctly). Not sure if its the same as the SC300.

I think Soarer front cuts are cheap cos there's too much power on tap for a cheapish car. I mean... the car costs under AUS$20k and pumps 280hp stock. change the exhaust and up the boost and you get 340hp. It's very tail happy.

Mr Wiggles could answer all your questions about importing the engines. I just visit import shops alot and read magazines. The AUS$1900 for a 1JZ-GTE front cut is quoted from a magazine.

Here's a link to some of the ads I scanned for him
http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~toannguy/MrWiggles/

Toan.
Old 08-06-01, 09:28 AM
ez2speed

You also might consider the supra tt engine. Powerhouse did my conversion and a few other mods pretty reasonable.
Old 08-06-01, 09:34 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default yeah...

Yeah... he was thinking about the Supra TT (2JZ-GTE) engine, but you cant find any half cuts of supra's around (at least I cant) for a reasonable price. Also Supra front cuts are hardly ever listed in magazine ads, which means there arent that many around... or its more cost effecive to stip the half cuts for parts.

Last edited by Toan Nguyen; 08-06-01 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-06-01, 09:50 AM
MrWigggles
Rookie

ez2speed,

That is news to me. I know the swap is possible, but I heard that Powerhouse charges about $20K for the swap.

Did they use a J-spec engine and ECU for your swap or was it all american?

Also, I got pricing from Toysport for a 2JZGTE j-spec conversion kit for $5K, includes mounts and everything, but I don't know anyone who can install it in TX without potential problems.

If you could give me more info about Powerhouse's pricing and the set-up on your car, I would REALLY appreciate it. Powerhouse is big time. I can't imagine what their labor rates would be unless they can do the swap very quickly. They quote on their web-site that they do it in about 4-6 weeks!!

If it could be done for about $10K, I am in.

I am at mrwigggles@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Mr. Wigggles

Last edited by MrWigggles; 08-07-01 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-07-01, 11:32 AM
MrWigggles
Rookie

Well, I just finished talking to Powerhouse and the conversion is still priced around $22,000 which includes the 6 speed and 15,000 with the 5 speed.

The salesperson basically said if you want 400 HP or less at the wheels, the Toyomoto is a good idea. Powerhouse will install that kit or their own version if you go that route.

They won't do J-spec conversions because of all of the hassles.

Thought I would let you know. Any other options feel free to comment.

-Mr. Wigggles

Old 08-07-01, 08:54 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

MrWiggles:

does Powerhouse have a web site? I searched for them but could not find them.
Old 08-08-01, 02:53 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Bobcat
MrWiggles:

does Powerhouse have a web site? I searched for them but could not find them.
PowerHouse is not too bad but they have ungodly prices. Check out SoundPerformance in IL. They did some work on SC300s. They're also known for their quality and better prices.
Old 08-09-01, 06:28 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Some more tech people...

Hey,

If you're doing the engine swap, There is an Australian forum that you might find useful. It's dedicated to Toyota's, and as I said, the 1JZ-GTE is a very popular engine for engine swaps considering size/power/torque they give.

Anyhows... Here's the link :

http://www.toymods.org.au/

Cheers,

Toan.

Old 02-05-02, 04:42 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello everyone,

*MrWiggles*, although the 2JZ will potentially have the outright power advantage, the 1JZGTE is a much more logical choice in a Soarer/SC300.

First of all, as the 1JZ came stock in the Soarer 2.5GT, you would be able to do a direct swap with less headaches and money than the 2JZGTE swap would ultimately cost you.

Secondly, if you like to REV HARD, the 1JZGTE is pretty hard to overlook! The 1JZGTE is a happy revver... it loves revving (trust me... I've got one!!). As Toan said, the engine/auto box costs around $2000 or so, I think a full front cut is around $3000 (??), and you can include the front brakes from the twin turbo model blah blah blah to your SC300. I hear that the front brakes on the twin turbo Soarers are Brembo brakes to, so it pays to get the full front cut.

About the full power potential of the 2JZ over the 1JZ, if you get a JDM 2JZ engine and DON'T change the ECU then you'll be very hard pressed, as all JDM cars have limiters of every kind, from speed cut (180km/h), boost cut (1.0bar/14.5psi), etc... and the ECU is fully locked. From what I know, the computer CANNOT be reprogrammed (I'm not sure if it's OBDII).

Get the 1JZGTE mate... USD$22000 for an engine swap?!?! I don't think so... you might as well have a *bit* of a less powerful car and save $$$$'s don't you think?

Quick Reply: twin turbo Soarer GT to SC300 engine swap possibility