Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Replacing stock Cats with new high flow cats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 11:09 AM
MikeSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing stock Cats with new high flow cats?

i just got a custom exhaust from the end of the stock cats to the mufflers. 2 1/4 piping with magnaflow 14829 mufflers and a custom X-pipe. I want more sound and flow, so what aftermarket high flow cats should i get?
Old 12-19-05, 12:22 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

get rid of the resonators, and use all 2.25" piping.
Old 12-19-05, 01:43 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

How much does it cost to remove resonators, and how many shops would actually do it?
Old 12-19-05, 03:40 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeSC400
i just got a custom exhaust from the end of the stock cats to the mufflers. 2 1/4 piping with magnaflow 14829 mufflers and a custom X-pipe. I want more sound and flow, so what aftermarket high flow cats should i get?
you can use magnaflow or dynomax high flow cats....im using manaflow high-flow catty...
with 3inch in diameter
Old 12-19-05, 03:41 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
How much does it cost to remove resonators, and how many shops would actually do it?

you can actually remove resonators but it will sound too loud........that is your preference.
i would replace the stock resonators with high flow mufflers instead....just to quiet down a bit.
Old 12-20-05, 03:14 PM
broman
Driver School Candidate

The stock sc400 cats flow pretty well (410 cfm on the later models anyway), and quiet things down a lot. You have a couple options for higher-flow cats but some fabbing of brackets, etc may be required.

Random CAT # 702500 flow = 483 CFM (Random Tech Metal Substrate CATS model # 702550)
Magnaflow hi-flow Cat: http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/af_...ehicleID=42770

But like folks said, the true choke points are the stock exhaust manifolds and the resonators (if you haven't already removed them).

Last edited by broman; 12-20-05 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-21-05, 08:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I an RX300 owner and I had to get rid of my two precats and main cat...replaced with one Maganflow Cat and no problems or even CELs. Removing the resonator (I have done this) will make it ungodly loud.
Old 01-06-06, 02:36 PM
PsiQo1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
i know its been a while but i jus got my resonators removed today 35 bux..any shop will do it!
Old 01-08-06, 07:39 AM
MikeSC400
Driver School Candidate

Default magnaflow high flow cats

im looking at the magnaflow site someone sent, and i was looking at the 91000 series. should i get the 91000 with or without the hole for the O2 sensor. the sc400 has a sensor in the cats right? so wouldnt getting a O2 sensor hole already on the cat make sense?
Old 02-11-06, 04:31 PM
MD95SC400
Driver School Candidate

Default Cat question

So did you find out which ones you needed? The ones with or without the hole for the O2 sensor. I'm thinking about replacing my cats also since I'm redoing my exhaust. Send me a PM or post s reply. Thanks.
Old 02-12-06, 11:57 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Remove both the cats and resonators FTW
Old 03-13-06, 11:39 AM
MikeSC400
Driver School Candidate

ok, i dont think the information was presented correctly. I already got a custom 2.25" exhaust w/ custom 2.25 X-pipe out to magnaflow mufflers. I dont have any resonators. I only have the front stock 2 cats that come straight outta the manifold.i got the exhaust done from the end of the stock front cats all the way back. i want to replace them to get more sound and flow. i was wondering which ones i should get. im looking at the 91000 seres and the 94000 series. i kno their is a sensor in cat's so i was wondering if i should get a cat with a built in sensor, or does it not matter if their is a hole for the sensor or not? i wanted to see if anyone had replaced their front 2 cat's with high flows and the exact cat's they purchased.
Old 03-13-06, 11:58 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSC400
ok, i dont think the information was presented correctly. I already got a custom 2.25" exhaust w/ custom 2.25 X-pipe out to magnaflow mufflers. I dont have any resonators. I only have the front stock 2 cats that come straight outta the manifold.i got the exhaust done from the end of the stock front cats all the way back. i want to replace them to get more sound and flow. i was wondering which ones i should get. im looking at the 91000 seres and the 94000 series. i kno their is a sensor in cat's so i was wondering if i should get a cat with a built in sensor, or does it not matter if their is a hole for the sensor or not? i wanted to see if anyone had replaced their front 2 cat's with high flows and the exact cat's they purchased.
I find this very interesting because this is exactly what I plan to do (everything you have done so far other than touching the first set of cats).

So with the resonators removed your exhaust is still not loud enough for you? From all I have heard (video clips) and read here on CL, removing the resonators makes the exhaust very loud - so I don't understand what you mean by saying that your's is not loud enough.

What is the sound like right now? Does it sound like one of those modified Mustangs? Better yet, can you please take a video clip and post it up so that we can hear what your car sounds like? I can host the clip for you if you have problems uploading it.

Last edited by Hameed; 03-13-06 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-13-06, 12:16 PM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hameed
I find this very interesting because this is exactly what I plan to do (everything you have done so far other than touching the first set of cats).

So with the resonators removed your exhaust is still not loud enough for you? From all I have heard (video clips) and read here on CL, removing the resonators makes the exhaust very loud - so I don't understand what you mean by saying that your's is not loud enough.

What is the sound like right now? Does it sound like one of those modified Mustangs? Better yet, can you please take a video clip and post it up so that we can hear what your car sounds like? I can host the clip for you if you have problems uploading it.
I just did the same exact setup as Mike did last week and I like it, but I too and the exhaust guy were both surpised it wasn't louder? I was almost thinking I could have gone with the 14851 race series instead. These would flow more and be louder as they are not necked down like the 14829's. But hey, I'm old school, my first car was a '68 GTO 400 ci V-8 with headers and cherry bombs that ended under the front seat, now that's my idea of LOUD
I too, will try to post a sound clip for guys when I get home tonight.
Old 03-13-06, 12:24 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SWSC400
I just did the same exact setup as Mike did last week and I like it, but I too and the exhaust guy were both surpised it wasn't louder? I was almost thinking I could have gone with the 14851 race series instead. These would flow more and be louder as they are not necked down like the 14829's. But hey, I'm old school, my first car was a '68 GTO 400 ci V-8 with headers and cherry bombs that ended under the front seat, now that's my idea of LOUD
I too, will try to post a sound clip for guys when I get home tonight.
Here is an audio clip of the same exhaust setup on a GS400 though - http://www.gs400.ca/videos/gs_exhaus...resonators.mpg

How do both of your cars compare to that? Remember to turn up the speaker volume. It sounds so awesome!!!!

Quick Reply: Replacing stock Cats with new high flow cats?