Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

best 1j bang for the buck mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-05, 07:49 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best 1j bang for the buck mod

Cam Gears.

Retarding the exhaust cam a few degrees.

On stock boost, it feels like you turned it up to around 12psi. I'm still working out my cooling issue so i havn't turned the boost up yet again (no thermostat), but at 1 bar, it should be insaine. Right now on stock boost on 255's, first gear is useless, and 2nd gear is too if the roads have any dampness to them going 50-65mph or if you shift at WOT from 1-2, car just gets sideways. Also runs 10x smoother, gets better fuel miledge, sounds different, and smells cleaner.

You really need a dyno to do it, but i guessed and retarded it 2.5 degrees. I also installed a new Isuzu timing belt

BTW, changing timing belt, waterpump, etc.. is dirt easy. Dont be scared. Just make sure you have a professional 3/4in impact gun to get the crank bolt off. A 650lb ft/lb 1/2in will not do it. DO NOT GO GHETTO AND PUT A BREAKER BAR AGENST THE FRAME AND CRANK THE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got both my cam gears used from Titan (titan gears) for $180. Direct fit.
Old 12-16-05, 08:17 AM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

A 1/2" 650 ft/lb woundn't break it loose? How much torque did the 3/4" have? I'll be changing my belt while the engine is out.
Old 12-16-05, 08:22 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoarerJzz3
A 1/2" 650 ft/lb woundn't break it loose? How much torque did the 3/4" have? I'll be changing my belt while the engine is out.
I tried two brand new 650lb 1/2in drives. I broke two 3/4 to 1/2in adapters using the 3/4in drive impact, sheered em right off, so i had to spend a day to find a 22mm 3/4in drive socket.

I am unsure how strong the 3/4 was, but it was so big i had to remove my ac condenser and radiator. The shop next to me builds semi truck tow trucks, i borrowed it from them. Took it off like butter in about 2 seconds.

If your car is 5spd, just put it in gear and lock the ebrake and use a breaker bar. If your auto, theres no way to lock the crank to use a breaker bar. 3/4in drive impact is the only option.
Old 12-16-05, 08:28 AM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Well my engines out of the car. I bought this special tool that holds the crank in place. Then I was going to use a breaker bar. Now i'm afraid it won't work.
Old 12-16-05, 08:34 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoarerJzz3
Well my engines out of the car. I bought this special tool that holds the crank in place. Then I was going to use a breaker bar. Now i'm afraid it won't work.
yeah i wasnt able to use that with the motor IN the car.... u should be fine

maybe

Last edited by VJ RC51; 12-16-05 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-16-05, 09:31 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

it is posible to do with a breaker bar, but its not worth the time or potential broken parts. just find a friend with and impact gun or rent one from homedepo or autozone. i believe auto zone rents for free(get your $ back when you finish the joband return it). Moral of the story just save the time and get the impact gun.
Old 12-16-05, 09:50 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ATL-SC
it is posible to do with a breaker bar, but its not worth the time or potential broken parts. just find a friend with and impact gun or rent one from homedepo or autozone. i believe auto zone rents for free(get your $ back when you finish the joband return it). Moral of the story just save the time and get the impact gun.

Autozone one wont do it. I used a Snap-on 1/2in professional, and a Isranold Rand <sp?>. It laughed at both. Trust me i tried everything cause my car was sitting in the garage for over a week. Its on there mega tight with this cement locktight thats baked on from many years of engine use. Out of the 2 ppl i asked how they changed theirs ,both did the breaker bar to starter technique with nothing breaking, but no way in hell was i going to do that. This only applys for automatic tho. If you gotta 5-6spd car, just put it in gear and use a breaker bar, its a piece of cake.
Old 12-16-05, 10:34 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice.... might have to put it on my to-do list. So the timing belt wasen't a PITA? I wonder if I should swap them while the motor is still out.
Old 12-16-05, 10:40 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Oh when/what exhaust are you going to run? How long are you going to stay on the stock side-mount?
Old 12-16-05, 10:47 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

The stock sidemount is staying as long as im stock turbo'd... It can support the flow and cooling far beyond the limits of the stock twins, and thats been proven. People use it successfully on single setups with over 450rwhp. A bigger FMIC just produces lag.

I will be making 3in DP back exhaust soon, along with some kind of muffler, unsure yet what kind. I could pop it out within a few hours.

The timing belt itself is simple to change. Just take the 2 bolts off the tensioner, timing belt lossens, take it off, put new one on, and put the tensioner thing back on with the 2 bolts. Couldnt be any easier.
The only thing i am upset about is i was kinda in a hurry to do it, and i didnt have time to powdercoat that black plate behind the cam gears silver. When you have that cover off tho, make sure to grind a corner out so u can take off the waterpump without taking the cam gears off for the next time.
Old 12-16-05, 11:01 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

I have some pipes missing from the intercooler setup... will the motor start without that on? Do you have a boost guage hooked up so you can monitor where the boost hits and holds?
Old 12-16-05, 11:24 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
I have some pipes missing from the intercooler setup... will the motor start without that on? Do you have a boost guage hooked up so you can monitor where the boost hits and holds?
I did too, i had the local muffler shop bend me some pipes, problem solved.

When you redo the vacuum lines, theres plenty of free ports on the manifold to hook a boost gauge to
Old 12-16-05, 01:26 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

yea but do you have a boost gauge? or is 'feels like its at 12psi' a guestimate ? you dont have a boost controller do you? i was considering putting on some cam gears before I drop my engine

Last edited by codetoad; 12-16-05 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-16-05, 01:41 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by codetoad
yea but do you have a boost gauge? or is 'feels like its at 12psi' a guestimate ? you dont have a boost controller do you? i was considering putting on some cam gears before I drop my engine
its very easy to hide things to keep that stock look.. so maybe i do, maybe i dont
Old 12-16-05, 02:55 PM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
Nice.... might have to put it on my to-do list. So the timing belt wasen't a PITA? I wonder if I should swap them while the motor is still out.
I would do as much maintanance as possible while the engine is out, especially the timing belt. That's what i'm doing anyway.

Quick Reply: best 1j bang for the buck mod