Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HK$ Timing belt, worth it? Other related questions...

Old 12-08-05, 07:51 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HK$ Timing belt, worth it? Other related questions...

I have to replace my water pump due to a leaky front seal on it... and since i'm taking it all off.. Is it worth it to spend the $$ for an HK$ belt over lets say.. our replacement one we can buy at autozone?

What features, benefits, does it have over an OEM type belt? (becides HK$ name and blue color). In the near future i plan to be taking this motor around 600hp and 9k rpms...

Also my motor has around 40k miles on it now. Is it worth it to change the timing belt tensioner? IF so, does the 2JZGTE one fit? Anything else i should throw on there new/aftermarket while i'm at it and its all off? I'll be doing cam gears too, but if my finances allow it... maybe even cams..
Old 12-08-05, 08:14 PM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
I have to replace my water pump due to a leaky front seal on it... and since i'm taking it all off.. Is it worth it to spend the $$ for an HK$ belt over lets say.. our replacement one we can buy at autozone?

What features, benefits, does it have over an OEM type belt? (becides HK$ name and blue color). In the near future i plan to be taking this motor around 600hp and 9k rpms...

Also my motor has around 40k miles on it now. Is it worth it to change the timing belt tensioner? IF so, does the 2JZGTE one fit? Anything else i should throw on there new/aftermarket while i'm at it and its all off? I'll be doing cam gears too, but if my finances allow it... maybe even cams..

just get the actual 1jz belt from Jay Marks Toyota/Champion.. its like 20.00 or so.. i just got one
Old 12-08-05, 11:38 PM
turbo6
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After seeing my OEM timing belt jump around with timing light hitting it on the dyno.... I respect the aftermarket ones a lot more.

Yet, I am still running OEM...? I guess knowing it's noninterference makes it lower priority
Old 12-09-05, 05:43 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one....that pretty purple

Its worth it if you want to be a little different.

gadgetSC-t
Old 12-09-05, 07:43 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

the HK$ belt would be more for bling factor then anything else really. I might just save the $$ and put it towards something like a boost controller.

Ive seen the SF thread on HKS cam gears, so i think a titan gear are for me (just exhaust, intake stock)

Whoever gets a 1JZGTE, change your water pump before you install the motor. It took about 5k miles for mine to crap put, i'm sure alot more will as we install them. They crap out when they sit, ill show pics in a few days.
Old 12-09-05, 08:00 AM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

which waterpump would you buy a 2jz is it the same exact thying cause i was wondering about that the other day
Old 12-09-05, 08:02 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AURELIOMK3
which waterpump would you buy a 2jz is it the same exact thying cause i was wondering about that the other day
2JZGTE, hopefully. Ill let u know tonight.

IF not, i can get a 1JZGTE in a week for bout the same cost. I think the 1JZGTE has a different impeller, which is half the problem why you'll see more fail in the next few months. I've "heard" of people using 2jzgte pumps, from the looks of it from what ive visually seen, it should bolt right on.

Last edited by VJ RC51; 12-09-05 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-09-05, 09:08 AM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

the HK$ belt would be more for bling factor then anything else really. I might just save the $$ and put it towards something like a boost controller.

Ive seen the SF thread on HKS cam gears, so i think a titan gear are for me (just exhaust, intake stock)

Whoever gets a 1JZGTE, change your water pump before you install the motor. It took about 5k miles for mine to crap put, i'm sure alot more will as we install them. They crap out when they sit, ill show pics in a few days.

I just dont understand why people don't do this more often. Every car i've owned, has had a swap and every motor I put in my car, I always freshen up. I would never put a motor in a car without doing the basic maitanence mods. \

How much is the HKS belt? I would get it, but not for "bling" factor. I bought the greddy one, just because I heard problems with the OEM ones skipping around on high HP applications.

I had a 1JZ one for my old motor, but just sold it recently to one of the MKIII guys. Wasn't that much either...
Old 12-09-05, 09:26 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DETUNED
I just dont understand why people don't do this more often. Every car i've owned, has had a swap and every motor I put in my car, I always freshen up. I would never put a motor in a car without doing the basic maitanence mods. \

How much is the HKS belt? I would get it, but not for "bling" factor. I bought the greddy one, just because I heard problems with the OEM ones skipping around on high HP applications.

I had a 1JZ one for my old motor, but just sold it recently to one of the MKIII guys. Wasn't that much either...
I dunno i'm still shopping for costs.. greddy or hks. I heard that problem with the OEM 1JZ also.. i'm just looking for the future, easier to do it now then later
Old 12-09-05, 09:45 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Ive found greddys for $117 with free shipping... HK$ for $150

Greddy it is, unless anyone knows where to find one cheaper
Old 12-09-05, 02:51 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a power enterprise one in stock...
Old 12-09-05, 03:01 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by got_trd
i have a power enterprise one in stock...
After doing alot of reading today, i'm sticking with OEM Toyota, and just titan ex pully. My HP goals of 5-600 is not going to stress the belt any.

Last edited by VJ RC51; 12-09-05 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-09-05, 04:26 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

After doing alot of reading today, i'm sticking with OEM Toyota, and just titan ex pully. My HP goals of 5-600 is not going to stress the belt any.
Then again running the risk of snapping your timing belt isnt fun either.

Power enterprise makes some quality belts.
Old 12-09-05, 11:09 PM
Gamer
Pole Position

For a 1JZ timing belt:

The 1988+ Isuzu Trooper 4 cylinder 2.6 liter engine (4ZEL) uses the same belt as the Toyota 1JZ engine. So instead of getting a belt from Japan (~$100) you can pick up an Isuzu Trooper belt locally at an auto parts store for about $30 US. Make Sure You Get The 4 Cylinder 2.6 Litre Engine Belt!

Timing belt specs: 137 teeth, 25mm wide
Old 12-12-05, 08:06 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gamer
For a 1JZ timing belt:

The 1988+ Isuzu Trooper 4 cylinder 2.6 liter engine (4ZEL) uses the same belt as the Toyota 1JZ engine. So instead of getting a belt from Japan (~$100) you can pick up an Isuzu Trooper belt locally at an auto parts store for about $30 US. Make Sure You Get The 4 Cylinder 2.6 Litre Engine Belt!

Timing belt specs: 137 teeth, 25mm wide
Your teh man!