Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Steering; yet another one

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 03:44 PM
khouseal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering; yet another one

92 SC400. 100K miles. I’ve read some of the posts and know others have been through this.
Had the pwr steering seal kit done 8 months ago ($375) (along with the alternator more $) at an independent shop. Last week-- lost all the fluid overnight, loud whining noise from the ps pump.
Took it back to the same guy, he said Flow Control Valve was shot (not related to seal kit, non-warranted). He replaced 3 o-rings, pressure gasket and a “flow control seat” ( $400.00). Then he told me I need a new pump. Picked it up and now it whines, very stiff & hard to steer, car shudders at low speed turns.
He knew nothing about the Letter Stamp on the valve I’ve read so much about (neither does the Dealer). He also didn’t clean either of the screens. I told him about the Steering Rack Solenoid screen and he quoted $300, saying the whole rack had to come off to get to it. (I’ve talked to the dealer who said they always clean them when doing a seal kit -1 hour labor). So obviously it was time to cut my losses and get the car out of there. (btw-I’ve spent nearly $10,000 at the guy’s shop the last 3 years on 3 cars.)
I went to a 2nd shop this afternoon, they’d never heard of the solenoid screen, couldn’t find it on AllData web site and said my pump was shot.
1st question…will cleaning the screen clear this up? Or should I just accept my losses, order a pump and be done with it, unless of course the rack is leaking too.
2nd question... should I be held responsible for the $400 today, why put new parts and 4 hrs of labor on a bad pump instead of replacing it? The car is barely drivable.
Thx in advance.
Old 12-09-05, 12:01 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

wish i wasn't so drnk when i answereed this. bu read mypost a long time ago on how to replace the pump yourself. thereis no need to speend that much. i probably could have repaced 2 seals (45 min) and been done but i chose to replace the pump too. sorry to hear about the problem. and good luck. some times you cant trust other that will make oney off your loss. get up under there and be a grease monkey. its good for the soal. oh and drink up
Old 12-09-05, 01:15 PM
khouseal
Driver School Candidate

Default screen cleaned

So, with that encouragement I just finished taking the solenoid off, (while on the car, despite the shop's refusal to do so) screen was black. Cleaned it and put it all back together. Started the car, took off resevoir cap and turned left / right to burp. Bad noises had gone away and turning with one finger! Lowered car to the ground, started and howling banshee was back. I haven't flushed yet, so maybe I've just reloaded the gunk into the screen again. Pump was rattling awful. Fluid full but, foamy. I shot pics to show the mechanics who said it didn't exist. I'm close to just ordering a new pump but, I've a feeling as it was quite when the tires were in the air, pump may be ok. There was only a little howl at full lock at first but got less and less with turning procedure.