Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

what cams can i use for the 2jzge

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 08:48 PM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what cams can i use for the 2jzge

i was looking for a set of cams for my 95 sc300 and could find any listing for it. is it the same as the supra tt. also is there anyone running aftermarked cams on their n/a 2jzge. how much power? and who makes it.. also any other n/a mods besides intake, header, exaust, maf, etc.... thanks
Old 12-06-05, 11:13 PM
PsiQo1
Lead Lap

most of these guys are gonna say go turbo dont waste your money on any n/a build...its not worth it...and i would have to agree...hopefully ill be na-t by mid next year..good luck on your build whatever you decide
Old 12-07-05, 08:40 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

thanks, that seems to be the way to go considering the weight of the car and price of the turbo kits. i did find the hks cam for the n/a.
Old 12-07-05, 04:21 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the only cams are custom ground ones. to my knowledge, you can use the intake cams for the GTE, but not the exhaust due to the distributor.
Old 12-08-05, 07:44 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay, how about going the other way..

installing a JDM 2jzgte.. they have smaller cams than the USDm 2jzgte. Would it be beneficial to use the NA cams from my 93 2jzge instead? I have HKS gears to dial them in.
Old 12-08-05, 07:55 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

N/A 2JZGE exhaust cam has the thing on it to run the distruber, will not fit 2jzgte
Old 12-08-05, 08:06 PM
deruvian
Driver

Only the intake cam can be "upgraded" in the 2JZ-GE. You could, however, have a new custom grind done on both cams. I wouldn't call the mod worthless, since you will see some gains and it will also help out a lot with any future NA-T upgrade.

Originally Posted by Epik
okay, how about going the other way..

installing a JDM 2jzgte.. they have smaller cams than the USDm 2jzgte. Would it be beneficial to use the NA cams from my 93 2jzge instead? I have HKS gears to dial them in.
What, exactly, do you mean by "smaller" cams? Do you mean a shorter duration and/or less valve lift? Please explain.

I don' t know why anyone would put the GE cams into their GTE, since the exhaust cam from the GE has the helical gearing for the dizzy. Either way, cam gears are removable, and I could be wrong but I believe they'll work just fine for a stock GTE cam gear replacement. Furthermore, I've heard a lot about HKS cam gears wearing down. The teeth get rounded and whoops your timing belt just skipped!

However, I would definitely worry about a turbo install before worrying about cam upgrades.
Old 12-09-05, 07:44 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Crane cams is down the road from us here in FL.. if you give em some $$ and a new stock exhaust cam, they will do whatever you want with it
Old 12-09-05, 07:48 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deruvian
What, exactly, do you mean by "smaller" cams? Do you mean a shorter duration and/or less valve lift? Please explain.
again it is just hearsay I suppose.. I'll have to check on SF for the details.. just have heard that the cams on the JDM 2jzgte engines are smaller lobe/duration than the USDM 2jzgte.

I don' t know why anyone would put the GE cams into their GTE, since the exhaust cam from the GE has the helical gearing for the dizzy. Either way, cam gears are removable, and I could be wrong but I believe they'll work just fine for a stock GTE cam gear replacement. Furthermore, I've heard a lot about HKS cam gears wearing down. The teeth get rounded and whoops your timing belt just skipped!
I had/have HKS cam gears on my 2jzge for the past year, and they have started to round out the teeth I have noticed. I do know that there is a revision to them.. I wonder if they would do like a recall. BTW.. tuning the stock cams with the gears on the dyno netted about 8whp across the board.. as much as 13 in some areas.

However, I would definitely worry about a turbo install before worrying about cam upgrades.
got that covered..
Old 12-09-05, 08:23 AM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

you know alot people say that the 2jzge head flows more then the 2jzgte head cause of the cam's and needs to flow more casue there's no force induction like the turbo motor. i know that if you put a n/a intake cam from a 7mge which is the mk3 n/a motor to a 7mgte turbo motor thats a upgrade and really helps flow so not sure if it is the same way on the 2j motors never really looked