Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Problem installing shifter on a 95 SC300...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-05, 06:17 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem installing shifter on a 95 SC300...

I sold a shifter from my NA Supra to a guy who owns a 95 SC. Since the 95+ uses the newer tranny, it matches the NA Supra's trannies.

Anyways, I have a real hard time understanding the guy. He says that when he installs it, the bottom of the shifter is hitting the cat and heatshield??!!

Not sure how wacked up the Lexus is, but isn't the driveshaft directly under the shifter?
Old 12-02-05, 07:22 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Since the 95+ uses the newer tranny, it matches the NA Supra's trannies.
How do you know this to be true?
Old 12-02-05, 08:02 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Well is it not? Or that's not true? That's what I've come to analyze reading on this forum. If it's not, maybe that's why the dude's having the problem installing the shifter :lol:

Either way, he says that the shifter hits his CATs ?
Old 12-02-05, 08:06 PM
deruvian
Driver

I sold a shifter from my NA Supra to a guy who owns a 95 SC. Since the 95+ uses the newer tranny, it matches the NA Supra's trannies.
This what I've read everywhere else. I know for certain that the transmission was changed/updated in 95, and I know for certain that the shifter "assembly" (so to speak) is different as of 95. I've read that this is due to the usage of the Supra MKIV NA tranny.
Old 12-03-05, 05:26 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I have no idea wtf's going on. Sold the shifter to the guy, and he says he can't get it to work because the bottom of the shifter is rubbing against the CATs!!!!

Again, I have no idea wtf's going on. But whatever, I'm a standup guy and will refund him. He said he would take pics for me of the shifter hitting the CATs (not sure wtf he's gonna show me), but he never did.
Old 12-03-05, 06:37 PM
deruvian
Driver

Yea I have no idea wtf's going on. Sold the shifter to the guy, and he says he can't get it to work because the bottom of the shifter is rubbing against the CATs!!!!

Again, I have no idea wtf's going on. But whatever, I'm a standup guy and will refund him. He said he would take pics for me of the shifter hitting the CATs (not sure wtf he's gonna show me), but he never did.
Wow, he sure sounds like... an ***. My respect goes out to you for refunding the money, cause I simply would not have the patience to deal with someone like that. I mean, if the shifter didn't work like "advertised," then yes I would refund him. But a shifter hitting the cats? And it's not just one, but both?! As in plural cat. convertor?!?!?! WTF, over?!

Barely off topic, but if you can, please take a picture of the shifter. When I bought my SC, it came with a short shifter that the guy never installed. I simply don't trust him enough to believe that it's for the 95+ SC, and I really don't want to tear apart my interior just to find out it's the wrong one. So anyhow, a comparison picture would be awesome. Thanks mate.
Old 12-03-05, 07:26 PM
SpeedImage
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like he was trying to install the shifter on a Honda lol