Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Vaccuum Leak!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-05, 06:05 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vaccuum Leak!

Yes I think I may be having somekind of vaccuum leak. When I at idle, I press the brake pedal all the way numerous times repeatedly. The idle then drops dangerously low. Enough to turn the motor off. Ive been having this problem for a while now. I was trying to figure out what it was for a while and a friend of mine had just told me it is a vaccuum leak. Is this true? If so, where would be the first place I should look? What should I replace? How do I fix this so it never happens again??
Old 11-27-05, 07:10 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Might not be a vacuum leak, you may need to replace your ground cable. Do the lights dim/stereo goes out/dash reset? If so, then it is definetely the ground and not a vacuum leak.
Old 11-27-05, 07:55 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Might not be a vacuum leak, you may need to replace your ground cable. Do the lights dim/stereo goes out/dash reset? If so, then it is definetely the ground and not a vacuum leak.
-My lights do dim but when I hit the gas the go bright again.
-Stereo doesnt go out but the CD main unit wont read CDs anymore.
-Dash does not reset.

I just got an HKS Grounding kit with the gold terminal and stuff. I will put that on tommorrow and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully it is that.
Old 11-29-05, 06:40 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I bought the HKS earthing system and put it on yesterday. I grounded all the important things that needed to be grounded. After a couple hours of driving I tried pumping the brakes at a complete stop again. It looks like the grounding didnt do anything to fix it. I dont know if anyone knows what Im talking about but try it for yourself. Pump the brake pedal fast on "P" or at a complete stop and you will see that your rpm goes all the way down until the motor almost shuts off. Can anyone tell me what this is or how to fix it?
Old 11-29-05, 10:24 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

your draining your vacuum suply off the motor by pumping the brakes. the abs is actually set to not have the brakes pumped which is part of the problem. if the motor is in gear and moving does it still do this? or do the brakes get supplied with enough vac from the motor running? if it still stalls id say that something is up with the tuning (either fuel/ignition) if its drawing enough vacuum to make the motor die. have you tried to reset the ecu? how about check the condition of the brakes master cylendar for excessive wear? mine doesnt have the problem of stalling but if i pump the brakes fast enough it tuns off the abs. brakes still work like normal but the abs light will kick on and i can run non abs. it resets when i turn the car off/on again.

Last edited by vipsoarer; 11-29-05 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-29-05, 11:12 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
your draining your vacuum suply off the motor by pumping the brakes. the abs is actually set to not have the brakes pumped which is part of the problem. if the motor is in gear and moving does it still do this? or do the brakes get supplied with enough vac from the motor running? if it still stalls id say that something is up with the tuning (either fuel/ignition) if its drawing enough vacuum to make the motor die. have you tried to reset the ecu? how about check the condition of the brakes master cylendar for excessive wear? mine doesnt have the problem of stalling but if i pump the brakes fast enough it tuns off the abs. brakes still work like normal but the abs light will kick on and i can run non abs. it resets when i turn the car off/on again.
Draining the vacuum supply off the motor..is that normal when I pump the brake? When the motor is in gear and moving it does not do it. Im assuming that it is getting enough vacuum from the motor when in motion. Ive reset the ECU also and it still does the same thing at a stand still. Im just wondering if this is a problem or if it supposed to be reacting that way. My ABS light does not go on.
Old 11-30-05, 06:50 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

it is normal for the brake booster to pull vacuum off the manifold, this is how it works, but not to your extent. i would check your tps and see if there are any adjustments you can make. it sounds like an idle issue exclusively but then again there really isnt a need to pump your brakes at that low of speed or at all, in general. this is not a case of a vacuum leak like you originally thought since your brakes would be less effective along with having a higher than normal idle. i would do some searching around under the hood and check for weak links like the distributor, plugs, wires, fuel filter. basically all the common fix parts. good luck
Old 11-30-05, 06:59 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

When I pump my brake pedal in P or N, my idle stays at the normal 800 RPMs. After several fast pumps, my ABS is still active as well, unlike vipsoarer said. I can't disengage my ABS simply by pumping the brake pedal quickly.
Old 11-30-05, 10:45 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NYlex has the answer here. Most likely a bad ground. Installing the grounding kit will do nothing to solve the issue since the bad ground is still connected somewhere.

The mysterious, magical, & wonderful search button yielded this!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...nd+short+brake
Old 11-30-05, 10:47 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

im a 5 speed.with the ebrake up and pumping a few times then putting the ebrake down it disengages the abs.... the IS guys have the same feature. either way you shouldnt be pumping your brakes ever nor is it necessary to pump them in park.check out that ground but if you installed the grounding system on originally grounded items like your supposed to and it is a bad ground it would decrease the issue.

Last edited by vipsoarer; 11-30-05 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-30-05, 06:37 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
there really isnt a need to pump your brakes at that low of speed or at all
The main reason I was pumping was to see why my idle was not acting the way it should be.
Old 11-30-05, 06:48 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mkorsu
NYlex has the answer here. Most likely a bad ground. Installing the grounding kit will do nothing to solve the issue since the bad ground is still connected somewhere.

The mysterious, magical, & wonderful search button yielded this!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...nd+short+brake
Thanks. FYI I did a search and this thread never came up. I will try and check all my grounding points. Does anyone have any suggestions on what grounding points to look for? Ive read through tons of threads and they all say a different thing. The HKS earthing system I got has 6-4guage wires.