Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help. What did I break?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 03:55 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help. What did I break?

I have a 92 SC400 auto , K&N filter, NX 150 wet kit with bottle warmer, gauge and TPS switch, SAFCII that has not been adjusted. I was running 92 octane. Sadly the traction control was on.

I've been running this setup up a few months now and while driving today I punched it and there was a huge BANG and a big puff of blue smoke behind me. At first I thought it was the motor but it was not. It still idles perfectly but will stumble and buck when I pull away from a stop. Once its moving it feels fine with less than 20% pedal pressure.

I believe its the tranny or the rear diff. The Trac light came on right away and now is stuck on. I can still switch the trac off/on. Again when I pull away from a light its stutters and nearly stalls. It drives fine in reverse haha. There is nothing leaking underneath but I think I hear a whining from the tranny.

Please help !

Last edited by AME_VIP; 11-17-05 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-17-05, 07:41 PM
cal9126
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine bucks and hesitates from a dead stop also, try and take the plug off the air intake pipe and see if it still does it....someone told me to do this and after doing it the car wouldnt hesiate anymore but it wouldnt shift out of first and it threw the cel....someone said that it was a sensor but i think its something in the tranny such as the tourqe convertor...i dont know tho...
Old 11-17-05, 08:03 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

I don't a whole bunch of searching on that.

I remembered the lid on the stock air box was popped up. Then saw that the bottom of the stock intake was blown apart and the K&N filter has a big black mark on it the size of a baseball.

The TRAC butterfly is bent.

My guess is fuel was pooling and then exploded

Anybody have an SC400 throttle body for sale ! eek

Old 11-19-05, 10:29 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Never seen that before - Ouch. It looks like it backfired up through the intake plenum and out of the TB?
Old 11-20-05, 12:25 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Crayzay. Well thats a first. How was fuel getting in through the intake?
Old 11-20-05, 12:31 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its a wet kit so the nitrous kit is injecting fuel and n2o through the nozzle into wherever he has it mounted.

it does look like you were having either fuel or nitrous pooling. where do you have the nozzle mounted? this could tell us why it pooled and backfired. Sorry to hear bro but its all part of the process.
Old 11-20-05, 10:06 AM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Nitrous itself is not flammable - so fuel or fuel vapor had to get up there somehow. . .
Old 11-20-05, 02:49 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check to make sure you had the nozzle in the right direction going into the trottle body instead of away. i've seen a few who twist and point in the wrong direction and had crazy amounts of puddling resulting in similar affects.
Old 11-20-05, 03:00 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nitrous backfires are not uncommon. You are luckly you did not blow you intake manifold of something more expensive. You were very fortunate...
Old 11-20-05, 07:34 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

for sure!! I consider myself very lucky. I did some searching and people on supraforums have taken out their intake manifolds or their enitre motors!

I did check the nozzle and it was pointing the correct direction about 6 cm from the TB. I did leave the bottle on for a couple hours while I working on the car and this happened after 8 mins of driving. Dumb move.

I managed to plastic weld a piece on the bottom so the car is driveable. However the TRAC throttle plate is bent and is getting jammed when the traction control comes on. Thus blocking air flow.

So whos got a used SC400 TB for sale

Lesson: Don't be retarded like me and leave the bottle on and don't spray with TRAC on !