Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Squealing when AC turned on...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 05:19 PM
bobolee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing when AC turned on...

Ok, I've had problems with my heating, all cold air and no heat, so I decided to switch the vaccuum hoses as many have done here. That seemed to work. I now get warm and cold air. However, whenever I have the A/C button pressed, there's a squealing noise that's coming from the engine compartment. When the A/C is off, the noise dissappears. Any suggestions???
Old 11-04-05, 05:27 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

hmmm, sounds like your belt is dry or may be loose?? Did you check the tension and condition of the drive belt or the one on the a/c.
Old 11-04-05, 05:31 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL.

One of your bearings may be seizing up (like what happened to mine... then I snapped the drive belt).
Old 11-04-05, 08:08 PM
simonsays
Pole Position

this is happening to mine too!
like it comes and goes. can it be something to do with the fan?
Old 11-05-05, 09:40 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Observe and conclude. Does the noise come when the a/c compressor clutch engages [idleing level changes the load on the engine increases] ... very similar to ac at home kicks in from signal from thermostat.

If is so you have the belt slippage. As pointed out the belt slippage could be due to one or more items running off the belt is not moving smoothly or the slack on the belt is too-much. As pointed out the tesioner is supposed to take away the slack.

Once the belt has slipped enough times, a layer of gloss comes on it and even if all the componets riding on the belt are fine, the belt slips. Solution is to replace belt. Belt dressing are available but they tend to be a temporary fix. It might be worth spending money on the dressing to help you isolate the problem.

Salim
Old 11-05-05, 11:51 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

RX469
hmmm, sounds like your belt is dry or may be loose?? Did you check the tension and condition of the drive belt or the one on the a/c.
Salim
Observe and conclude. Does the noise come when the a/c compressor clutch engages [idleing level changes the load on the engine increases] ... very similar to ac at home kicks in from signal from thermostat.
If is so you have the belt slippage. As pointed out the belt slippage could be due to one or more items running off the belt is not moving smoothly or the slack on the belt is too-much. As pointed out the tesioner is supposed to take away the slack.

Once the belt has slipped enough times, a layer of gloss comes on it and even if all the componets riding on the belt are fine, the belt slips. Solution is to replace belt. Belt dressing are available but they tend to be a temporary fix. It might be worth spending money on the dressing to help you isolate the problem.
Very well said, that's what I meant to say.
Old 05-20-06, 08:12 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey SalimShah. I think I have the same noise. I have a 99 GS400, and mine sounds like crickets chirping through the vents. It's very faint, but still annoying. If I turn the fan up, the noise is muffled by the fan noise. I have been able to pinpoint that it's definitely the a/c and not the blower motor because the noise goes away when I turn the a/c button off (while leaving the fan on). Could this be the belt that's driving the a/c that's making the noise even though the noise is coming through the vents?
Old 05-21-06, 10:08 AM
blksc300mt
Driver

look at the crank pulley....the part that drives the belt can come loose from the rest of the pulley, and when it first does this you can get by for a little while, but when you put the extra load on the engine with the a/c compressor, it'll sound pretty bad
Old 05-21-06, 10:22 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey SalimShah. I think I have the same noise. I have a 99 GS400, and mine sounds like crickets chirping through the vents. It's very faint, but still annoying. If I turn the fan up, the noise is muffled by the fan noise. I have been able to pinpoint that it's definitely the a/c and not the blower motor because the noise goes away when I turn the a/c button off (while leaving the fan on). Could this be the belt that's driving the a/c that's making the noise even though the noise is coming through the vents?
Some have pointed out the blower motor at low speeds makes a chirping sound [TSB on various Toyota models as well]. The venting options [mode] can divert the air flow and noise conduit. So I would be little cautious in discounting the blower motor.

Try the belt dressing to eliminate the belt. Some have suggeted misting the belt with water [do not douse water on hot engine]. Sound from the belt has to penetrate the cabin throught the fire wall or windows. So theratically you shold be able to hear it with the hood open while parked.

Salim
Old 05-21-06, 01:26 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Some have pointed out the blower motor at low speeds makes a chirping sound [TSB on various Toyota models as well]. The venting options [mode] can divert the air flow and noise conduit. So I would be little cautious in discounting the blower motor.

Try the belt dressing to eliminate the belt. Some have suggeted misting the belt with water [do not douse water on hot engine]. Sound from the belt has to penetrate the cabin throught the fire wall or windows. So theratically you shold be able to hear it with the hood open while parked.

Salim
Thanks Salim. The noise is definitely emanating from the a/c and it's coming through the vents. Like I said, when I turn off the a/c button, the noise goes away. It's such a faint noise that I'm really not concerned with it. Is it possible that a squeeky drive belt can be heard through the vents? Next time I hear the noise, I'll pull over and pop the hood and see if I can hear it.