Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-01, 08:21 AM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I dont know shat bout engines, so heres 2 questions.

1) what do headers do?

2) other than the actual exhaust, what consists of giving your car a custom exhaust (do you need to add a custom air flow system or something?)
Also since theres 2 pipes on the sc's would that mean Id have to buy 2 seperate exhausts? Also how much would this run?

Sorry bout the dumb questions

Jason
Old 08-20-01, 01:00 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Answer to question #1:

Headers keep the exhaust pulses seperate for a longer period of time, and they (if they are good) will be tuned and equal lengths. This means each exhaust pulse will not interfear with another pulse, and in a perfect world, each pulse will assist the other to "pull" the exhaust out.

As for #2; I don't quite understand the question. If you change the muflers, then you technically have a "custom exhaust". In reality, you just have different mufflers. Personally, I consider a custom exhaust to be the entire replacement of the exhaust system for the purpose of higher flow rates. i.e. headers, presilencers (front mufflers that replace the cats - sometimes called resonators- but simply an oversized motorcycle muffler) and free flowing rear mufflers (with associated cross pipes).

An exhaust system will expell hot air, but the function of the engine will only be as efficient as its intake and exhaust combined, so you really do need to open up the intake to notice the benifits of an exhaust. Gains from so called "cat-back" designs are so minmal, that the stock air box is not a hinderance. Remove the cats and enlarge the pipes, and the flow rates are now unbalanced, and the intake will redically restrict flow.

Yes, you will need 2 pipes for the exhaust, and price varies depending on quality of pipe, quality of welding, quality of mufflers and cost of labor.

Hope this helps.

Keith