Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

v-mounted intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 01:34 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v-mounted intercooler

ok i read the 3 post that we had on this subject. however this is not a bling factor, nor an rb26 swap, nor a sr20 swap. i am asking if you were to do a v-mount on a 1jz or 1.5 jz swap would you need a bov? i looked at the rb26 pic and did not notice one. Also i have noticed a few drifters (who don't drift sc's) do not use a bov. i know what the functions of a bov, but is it really necessary when you do a v-mount setup for daily driving?

thanx in advance
Old 10-18-05, 02:03 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its not so much for drifting or not its for the life of the turbo. bigger turbos have bigger blades thus they are stronger. the bov removes the excess build up of pressure between the turbo and the throttle plate when shifting or the throttle plate is closed. You should use a bov no matter what just for the fact that it protects your investment more than anything else. which drift car were you talking about that doesn't have a bov? all that ihave seen do indeed have one to reduce spool time and to slow the compressor. i think the real question is not that if it is necessary for daily driving a v mount but realistically is a v mount necessary in a street car. my oppinion is no. most of the time you lose your bumper support, the last piece before anything intrudes into your engine. a small fender bender could completely wipe out everything you have.

building a v mount in the sc is next to impossible to do without sacraficing sizing of the intercooler and radiator, two vital points in a boosted car. the fit is very tight in front of the motor and if you can pull it off i will give you a beer thats for sure. The v mount i put on a friends 240 was nice but ill say this, your engine bay gets dirty quickly and the radiator and intercooler quickly become prone to bent fins. just some food for thought....
Old 10-18-05, 02:15 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

which drift car were you talking about that doesn't have a bov?

falken s15 and the v-mounted 240sx i think it has a brisk sticker on it.
also after going to some track days i have noticed a couple of s14's running no bov.

i just had to ask the question. i would assume the life span of the car would be shortened, but as i attend more and more events i am noticing people giving up the bov. thanks for the response i always wondered about v-mounts.
Old 10-18-05, 02:21 PM
Mikethe1st
Rookie

For track days I used to block off the BOV for faster response. The blow off valve is to extend the life of a turbo for the reasons stated before. When my bov was leaking I went without it for two months daily driving and nothing bad happened. A LOT of the D1 cars DO NOT use a bov and you can hear it as compressor surge.
Old 10-18-05, 02:24 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

what's up mike...... i made it back to LA...... car is down for the count....... until i get the motor in that is....... v-mount is not the way for me, but i was checking out some cars and i had to ask about the bov....... see you next season in alamont.
Old 10-18-05, 03:02 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

i stand corrected. i guess with the support that a lot of d1's have that they wouldnt have to worry about turbo life as much. thanks for the info, i knew that grand nationals never use them but i always follow the route to extend the life of parts to the fullest. i guess now that you mention it i have noticed the d1gto to have a large flutter from the surge.
Old 10-18-05, 04:02 PM
Mikethe1st
Rookie

Im glad you made it back safely. Did the car die on you at all??
Here's some pics I got of V-mounts on 240's from d1 qualifying last year.
http://streetneeds.com/uploads/300zxclub/vmount1.jpg
http://streetneeds.com/uploads/300zxclub/vmount2.jpg
http://streetneeds.com/uploads/300zxclub/vmount3.jpg
http://streetneeds.com/uploads/300zxclub/vmount4.jpg
http://streetneeds.com/uploads/300zxclub/vmount5.jpg

The last one was a 350z with a sr20det in place.
Old 10-19-05, 07:25 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

it wouldn't start in monterey. so i am thinking its the fuel filter, because before it dies it feels as if its out of gas. yeah well i finally got my wires for my 1jz extended so might as well wait for the shop to finish the other sc and drop mine off. woo hoo back to a boosted sc. Back to the v-mount question. i saw a 2jz swap in a s14 with a v-mounted intercooler that had the bov on the end tank. it looked very clean, but would it be safe in that location? meaning will that bov do what is suppose to? i would assume so simply because when i saw it run it was blowing off, but it was on the intercooler. are there any down falls for that?
Old 10-19-05, 11:25 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

its perfectly fine to put it on the intercooler. no adverse affects nor problems with it not working correctly. as long as the bov is anywhere between the compressor and the throttlebody it will work. quite a bit of hondas run them on their intercooler end tank to keep it behind some plastic.

i was thinking about it being mounted so low and wondered the affects of hitting a large puddle of water with it.....anyone with experience?
Old 10-19-05, 02:58 PM
Mikethe1st
Rookie

It would be closed unless it was blowing off in which it should be blowing out and not sucking up water.
Old 10-19-05, 03:41 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

true, i think where im going is if the water will have a slow affect on the bov. since many of them are aluminum i wonder if it will drastically affect how quickly it will take to start to pit along with if contaminated water will cause a problem with seals in the long run