Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tensioner Pulley problems!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-05, 06:18 PM
gnats
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Tensioner Pulley problems!

My tensioner has some play in it when the motor is running. Is this something I can replace without pulling apart the front half of the motor?
Old 10-08-05, 08:11 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please Elaborate

Please provide a little more info on your problem. All tensioners have SOME slack in them while the engine is running. It is spring-loaded, and it is compensating for the torque the engine is developing. It moves all the time the engine is changing speeds, especially during rapid acceleration..

If you have EXCESSIVE slack in your tensioner, it is possible that you have a worn serpentine BELT! There is a small scale that moves with the belt. Once the belt wears, the needle will point further down the scale, indicating that the belt needs replacement. If there is strange noise, perhaps the tensioner needs to be replaced. There is more tension on a newer belt and less tension on a worn belt. This allows the belt to deflect more as it wears down.

In answer to your question, YES it is possible to change the tensioner without taking apart the entire front of the engine. Removing the tensioner is part of the things to be removed whenthe timingbelt is changed. You will have to remove the serpentine belt and remove the bolts holding the tensioner in. I believe there are 3 bolts. They are different lengths, so be careful to put them back where they belong. I is fairly straightforward. Just match up the new tensioner with the old one, and it will be obvious..

Good Luck!
Old 10-09-05, 04:45 AM
gnats
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your thorough response.

There is the three marks than an inch or two and a fourth mark on its own. The point on the tensioner is moves from about 1/8 to 1/4 just to the right of the third mark. I hope this makes sense, which point do I go by to tell if the belt has been stretched?

Here is a pic- yellow lines are the marks on the tensioner and the red line is where my tensioner point is while running.
Attached Thumbnails Tensioner Pulley problems!-tensioner.jpg