Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AEM standalone on 1UZ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-05, 10:06 AM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AEM standalone on 1UZ?

is this posible make AEM standalone works on 1uz?
that will be great if it can work.
I know that AEM make ecu for sc300 NA.
sc400 is all different or cane be modify to fit sc400 loom/configuration?
regards
Jerry
Old 10-06-05, 07:22 AM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

ok maybe that:
are sc300 ecu plugs identical phisically as sc400 (I understand that some wires cane be in plugs in different positions but question is about plugs)
another word: can I (phisically) plug in sc300 ecu to sc400 harness (I know it will not work elecrically).

Jerry

Last edited by JTJerryls400; 10-06-05 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-06-05, 11:36 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no they arent identical at all

at autosportwiring they make wiring extensions so that people can use piggybacks without splicing into the factory ECU harness...

well they have in the past, made a 2jz-gte harness with open wires on one side... so AEM users that are adapting to the 1jz can use it.

They use the 2jz-gte AEM and settings, and splice the autosport harness into their factory 1jz harness... the AEM is programmable, so with a little meddling, you can make it work... and quite a few people have done this

i see no reason why you cant take the same harness and program the 2jz ecu to work for you too... tho you'd need to switch the settings to a distributor and a few other changes... but its possible most definitely
Old 10-07-05, 08:35 AM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bean
no they arent identical at all

at autosportwiring they make wiring extensions so that people can use piggybacks without splicing into the factory ECU harness...

well they have in the past, made a 2jz-gte harness with open wires on one side... so AEM users that are adapting to the 1jz can use it.

They use the 2jz-gte AEM and settings, and splice the autosport harness into their factory 1jz harness... the AEM is programmable, so with a little meddling, you can make it work... and quite a few people have done this

i see no reason why you cant take the same harness and program the 2jz ecu to work for you too... tho you'd need to switch the settings to a distributor and a few other changes... but its possible most definitely
thanks Bean
most worry is that JZ and UZ have different ignition systems. but perhaps AEM is so flexible and adjustible that can be programmed for controlling 1UZ engine ignition system. Any info about that?
I know AEM can controll tranny too, so it should not only help maximize engine controll but help eliminate that long gear changes at WOT too.
Old 10-07-05, 09:44 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JTJerryls400
thanks Bean
most worry is that JZ and UZ have different ignition systems. but perhaps AEM is so flexible and adjustible that can be programmed for controlling 1UZ engine ignition system. Any info about that?
I know AEM can controll tranny too, so it should not only help maximize engine controll but help eliminate that long gear changes at WOT too.

It doesnt matter. Once you have the right wires in the correct terminals, you can change ANYTHING. Before there was a 2jz-ge variant, people used the 2jz-gte and just converted the AEM over to distributor-based ignition and it worked fine.

You need to check out the AEM forum out there... there's TONS of info and they have adapted it to MANY MANY vehicles... from Ford F150s to Dodge Vipers.
Old 10-08-05, 02:36 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by JTJerryls400
thanks Bean
I wondered about the Retared timming gears changes too. I did some research and was told it may be hard as hell to find what controlls and where the shift retards.
Old 10-08-05, 03:39 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jgscott
I wondered about the Retared timming gears changes too. I did some research and was told it may be hard as hell to find what controlls and where the shift retards.
Yeah the stock 1uz-fe ECU is pretty complicated... the AEM wouldnt have to eliminate it, because it wouldnt be there on the initial install... retarding the timing on gear changes is all in the ignition timing map (which the AEM ECU would be controlling)... you COULD put it back if you wanted it there; it does make for smoother shifts... I guess it could be a "cruise-map" so the cars more docile while driving around.
Old 10-09-05, 04:29 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure how the aem will work with autos. You might end up having to manual shift it. I know that it doesn't work with supra tt autos. AEM also makes a race ecu which is pretty much the same as the vehical specific ones that you can wire up to pretty much anything. I don't know if you have to buy the harness or it comes with it but its just a harness that plugs into the ecu with pig tails that you can wire up to your stock or aftermarket sensors. Since its not the pnp version, you have to setup the sensors for the aem to read it properly.

~Kevin
Old 10-09-05, 09:56 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Both Sound Performance and STC Performance Engineering used AEM EMS on their 1UZ project motor. Yes it is possible.

Chris