Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car Suddenly Dies....Won't Restart

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 06:52 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Suddenly Dies....Won't Restart

You might know it was Friday in traffic, made a right turn and realized I was no longer under power. Just felt like something went away. Tried to recrank and nothing. Then I started worrying about the timing belt so I did not turn it over anymore and had it towed to the shop. I searched over the weekend and found the good news about noninterference for pre-97 models so probably no engine damage.

Shop calls this morning and said car is running fine No broken timing belt and said it may have been the air conditioning pump locked up....never heard of this. After explaining that the car just kind of jolted and then nothing, he said it was probably not the air. Any ideas???? Timing belt is not broken and tried to refire about 3-4 times Friday and sounded like it would almost catch, but never did. Full tank of gas and car has never hesitated since I have owned it (9 months). Any help would greatly be appreciated. I guess a little good news is the car is running, but really do not want to relive Friday of sitting in the middle of the road with people flying by me.
Old 09-26-05, 07:39 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

Mechanic just called and said the only thing he can find is it needs a tune up. By this, he said new distributor, caps, plugs, and wires. Said it would be around $500 to get it done. This guy is a family friend so I would not believe he would try ripping me off. Said it could be tons of things like fuel pump kicking off, but he has checked just about everything possible. Not sure what to do from here. Told him I would call this afternoon so any opinions would be helpful. I always did maintanence on my 3000GT, but not much knowledge regarding the V8. Is this something I could do myself cheaper?
Old 09-26-05, 06:35 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Fuel pump or fuel pump ECU tends to cut the car out for no apparent reason. Check the ignitor connections as well, loose/corroded battery terminals (this is what caused my fury before in peak hour traffic)... that's all I can think of at the moment. Oh yeah, and alternator to see if it's charging properly.