Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

6 blown clutches in 6 months!!!!! help me god

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-05, 11:38 PM
MearaImage
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 blown clutches in 6 months!!!!! help me god

Ok it all started when my clutch started to slip a bit when my car hit about 30,xxx which was 7 months ago(1996 lexus sc300)
asked around for some advice on a nice grippy clutch and went with CLUTCH MASTER aka clutch disatsers..lol
now i do drift this car from time to time, but as far as dumping the clutch at redline i do not.
i started out with the stage 1 and when through three of those,by the way i'm also running there lightweight flywheel.
after talking on the phone to the VP of the company and both of us scratching our heads and shipping the blown clutches to him to inspect and him saying NO OPERATOR ERROR, the new idea was to get the stage 3 rated at like 350hp.....

So i have my guy install the stage 3 and i'm out chillin one night and some beat box 94 300z na with some wheels an some cans pulls beside me and we start racing and i beat him so we get to a red light and i rev my motor to redline and let it bounce once (with the clutch to the floor and out of gear ) to let him know it's about to go down and just like that BOOM and you guessed it number four..
keep in mind the bellhousing gets scored each time one of my clutches blows and the fly wheel get's dents put in it from metal peices ripping of the clutch..
Number 5 comes almost the same way but this time i'm racing a 330ci bmw and hit 3rd gear and it blows...makes any sence????
NUMERO 6 quick first gear pull just about to hit redline then BOOM...kill me now..

each clutch had proper brake in time driving the car very easy with heat up and cool down sessions to let the clutch set right.. i just didn't got out and beat the car right after i got the clutchs put in...

any of you die hard sc guys know what to do? for now the car has stock lexus clutch and fly wheel in it and i'm going to school in south carolina so i'm waiting to get back to MA. and see how it drives.

this ****'s for the birds insted of my Yahmaha r6 i just bought i should have put a six speed in it.
Old 09-05-05, 01:28 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

My research tells me the HorsepowerFreaks Bronze SC300 Clutch Kit with sprung disc is your best option. A lot of folks have had great success with this clutch package on our sc300 5 speeds.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pric...ls/Clutch_Kits

I'm planning to buy this same clutch kit. I hope this helps
Old 09-05-05, 07:49 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

hey what school in SC are u at?
and my friend uses the spec kevlar cluch and loves it.
and horepowerfreaks has good service they treated me well
good luck
Old 09-05-05, 11:43 AM
happypanda
Lead Lap

what mods do you have on ur car taht you are blowing clutches like nothing. just wondering.
Old 09-06-05, 09:26 PM
MearaImage
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info on the clutch..
i think i'm gonna go with the six speed swap within a couple of months do to the fact that it's just a better tranny,
i'm going to tri county tech- in central while my roomate goes to clemson but i might transfer very soon.
my car isn't down here yet so i'm trying to put a plan together to bring it back to SC and i am looking to find some nice shops to do some work on my car but they all look very hickish down here, maybe Atlanta has some good shops,
the motor is stock bootom end 2jz with bpu's .
Old 09-07-05, 01:00 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're simply a 2JZ-GE with BPU (aka exhaust and BFI intake)

You shouldn't be blowing the stock clutch, unless you're shifting wrong and burning it to a crisp... let alone 6 clutches... Bouncing off the rev limiter, then dropping the clutch is a 100% sure-fire way to break something. Be happy it was your clutch and not your W58.

Something tells me you need to get the driver mod.

I've heard the RPS Max recomended by Larry @ SP -- that's what I'm planning on going with when the time comes.
Old 09-07-05, 07:29 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

WOW, thats pretty amazing. I used to have a CM Stage I and a LW Flywheel on my last car and I loved it. I took many drag strip events as well as some auto-xing.

I replaced my SC3's clutch about 1 year ago with some ebay cheapy (I was low on cash) and it's starting to slip and I can no longer launch the car without spinning the clutch. So I have been eyeing the RSP and the HPF clutches, schools got me short on cash again, so I'll probably have to wait it out.

Let us know what you get and how it works for you.
Old 09-07-05, 07:41 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

hey we have a few good shops in Atl but i trust the hot rod guys more. and i feel the pain of having the car at home. So when you get to clemson hit me up. and good luck with the 6spd. go tigers
Old 09-07-05, 10:32 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

The car def needs a driver upgrade, not clutch.
Old 09-07-05, 10:11 PM
MearaImage
Driver School Candidate

maybe some people didn't read what i said in the first post!!!!!!
THE VP OF CLUTCH MASTERS SAID IT WAS NON-DRIVER ERROR!!!!!!!!!
the clucth disk it self looks NEW when we pulled it out each time!
it's the clutch pressure plate and unit itself not the disk!
as far as BPU's go. i have cam hks cam gears,hks cams,injen intake,xerd headers,x3 racing can's,fludyne rad for supra,the 210 electric fan set up insted of that heavy *** stock airplane propeller fan ect. ect..
i'm the only person running this suspension setup right now kybs agx's with sprint springs it slams the twankies to the ground lol
Old 09-15-05, 05:38 PM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

Pressure plates don't just frag, especially 6 of them.
Old 09-16-05, 08:51 AM
MearaImage
Driver School Candidate

who are you?
nobody likes a hater/or a smart ***.
have you gad this problem before...didn't think so.
be very quiet......shhhhhhhhh
and go to another thread
Old 09-16-05, 09:35 AM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

Originally Posted by MearaImage
who are you?
nobody likes a hater/or a smart ***.
have you gad this problem before...didn't think so.
be very quiet......shhhhhhhhh
and go to another thread
ROFLMAO

Who am I? Well, I'm not the guy asking for help as he somehow manages to break the laws of physics and nuke plates over and over.

Here's a hint -- If you are somehow managing to kill pressure plates over and over and over again, STOP USING THAT ****ING VENDOR for starters. There is almost NO way to kill a pressure plate like you are describing, saying that there is no disc scaring/damage. Let's use common sense, if you've gone through **6** plates, then obviously there is a much deeper issue.

Fragging a clutch at 220rwhp? what a joke.

Last edited by MadMaxxNA; 09-16-05 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-18-05, 09:38 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MadMaxxNA
ROFLMAO

Who am I? Well, I'm not the guy asking for help as he somehow manages to break the laws of physics and nuke plates over and over.

Here's a hint -- If you are somehow managing to kill pressure plates over and over and over again, STOP USING THAT ****ING VENDOR for starters. There is almost NO way to kill a pressure plate like you are describing, saying that there is no disc scaring/damage. Let's use common sense, if you've gone through **6** plates, then obviously there is a much deeper issue.

Fragging a clutch at 220rwhp? what a joke.
That was the nextgear clutch that held up about 30 drift events and about 20 drag events in my SR20 s14 with over 400hp to the rear wheels. It didn't last long at 8 psi in the 2jz. Well guess what it was installers mistake combined with just a defective disk. I have a stage 2 upgrade now with nextgear 6 puck carbon kevlar disk and nextgear 40+ (40% higher clamping) pressure plate. So its possible to fry clutch with stock hp if its a defective disk. Now 6 of them thats crucial i would get another throwout bearing and new pilot bearing too!

That enough proof for you!

Last edited by lsflame; 09-18-05 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-20-05, 07:52 AM
CM support
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MearaImage
maybe some people didn't read what i said in the first post!!!!!!
THE VP OF CLUTCH MASTERS SAID IT WAS NON-DRIVER ERROR!!!!!!!!!
the clucth disk it self looks NEW when we pulled it out each time!
it's the clutch pressure plate and unit itself not the disk!
as far as BPU's go. i have cam hks cam gears,hks cams,injen intake,xerd headers,x3 racing can's,fludyne rad for supra,the 210 electric fan set up insted of that heavy *** stock airplane propeller fan ect. ect..
i'm the only person running this suspension setup right now kybs agx's with sprint springs it slams the twankies to the ground lol
Ok, time to jump in here to try and clear some things up! First of all, who did you purchase your clutches from? I have not called our main plant yet to see if anyone down there was dealing with you because they are on pacific time, but I am curious to find out if it was one of our authorized dealers or one of many imitation competitors of ours, ie: eclutchmasters!
I am confused because you said you talked to the VP of Clutch Masters? We do not have a VP.. If you were in fact working with someone from our main plant it would have been the manager of the store or one of the other two qualified technicians there.
Let me know, please.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: 6 blown clutches in 6 months!!!!! help me god