Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mohdparts egr removal kit.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-05, 11:18 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mohdparts egr removal kit.

So Im looking into buying the egr block off plate right..

and looking at this..

http://www.mohdparts.com/egr_mods/2/index.html

From the looks of the pics ... I really cant justify paying 50 bucks for 2 pieces of metal that are.. rather well cut and good quality no doubt.

But why is one plate 10 bucks but 2 plates.. 50 bucks? SHouldn't be just twice as much if not maybe 3 times as much?

Im not trying to flame or be sarcastic here im just a little confused here. And Im assuming that although these are designed for the 2jz-gte itll fit on my 2jz-ge? I have put already probably close to 500-1000 miles on my new y intake tube and i dont wnat to ruin that one too by putting more carbon deposits on it again!

Anyone that has gotten this is it actually worth it? I rather just remove the whole thing and have my engine look clean. When it comes emmission times ill just install it its really a simple process once you get the hang of it...

Maybe I could buy.. 2 single egr removal plates twice.....

Last edited by Inabj2; 09-04-05 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-04-05, 05:30 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

they are different shapes obviously so if they only sell the one for 10 bucks then your out of luck unless then sell either one for that price. ive made a couple sets of block off plates myself for a few friends sc's. you wont notice much difference. on another note if u do end up deleting the egr make sure u know what vaccum lines to cap and which ones dont need to be capped
Old 09-04-05, 08:49 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soarer479
they are different shapes obviously so if they only sell the one for 10 bucks then your out of luck unless then sell either one for that price. ive made a couple sets of block off plates myself for a few friends sc's. you wont notice much difference. on another note if u do end up deleting the egr make sure u know what vaccum lines to cap and which ones dont need to be capped

SO you make them yourself?? Do tell..

can you get me a better deal then mohdparts?

From the top of my head there werent that many vacuum lines to worry about just the ones that went to the valve itself.. then went from the valve to the modulator.. im sure I could figure it out though.
Old 09-04-05, 10:05 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats my boy!! the plates work great by the way. not leaking whatsoever. you should deffinately capitalize on this oportunity.

as for the vaccume lines, its a bit tricky, but not as bad as trying to set timing when your 180 degrees out!
Old 09-04-05, 11:54 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

haha you better reply fast

I just ran the car at the track my new baseline was at.

16.798 bone freaking stock with a wonderful 2.6 foot 60 time, i can't launch this pos tranny.

Vs a 15.8xx Toyota Tercel funny thing is I can actually keep up if not pull slightly on that same tercel from a roll so infuriating!

My goal was to be at 16.400 before getting what id consider... basic mods So I need to lose .398 tenths!

Now those 50 bucks seem worth it..
Old 09-05-05, 10:56 AM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

that seems a bit slow.... i went 15.98@89.7mph with a 2.4 60'. and that was stock. didnt think there was that much of a difference with the autos and the 5speeds. there are a few other tricks that you can do to improve thottle response and performance that are quite cost effective.
Old 09-05-05, 11:56 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
that seems a bit slow.... i went 15.98@89.7mph with a 2.4 60'. and that was stock. didnt think there was that much of a difference with the autos and the 5speeds. there are a few other tricks that you can do to improve thottle response and performance that are quite cost effective.
Whats funny is I could probably keep up with that same turbo tercel if we went from a roll, hell I can hang with my roomates wrx from 40-90 mph hell get maybe half a car lenght.

Then again I know this track is not at sea level and I know that it was a hot muggy night. Anyways.. obsession of the week is finding egr block of plates

I just got a email from mohd man stating..

Hi Juan, my egr plates are designed specifically for the 2JZ-GTE, I never did try them on the 2JZ-GE...
Old 09-05-05, 06:38 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Update I made my own.. theyre the most ghetto looking plates any of you will ever see but... it seemed the only option.

It was actually a nissan guy that hooked me up! :P

Courtesy of AZhitman the head admin of www.nissaninfiniticlub.net. aka nico.

Total cost spent. 0. He gave me sheet metal he bought at lowes and wasnt going to use.

Came out rather ghetto looking but the holes match perfectly with the egr valve gasket that I used as a template.

Now I just need the.. ohm 10 watt resistor

I gotta get ready to work I probably wont be able to put em together till saturday anyways...
Old 09-05-05, 09:13 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

just make sure they are thick enough, as the threads in head are only deep enough for the bolts when they are trough the egr pipe flange. mine were just thick enough.
Old 09-06-05, 03:40 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
just make sure they are thick enough, as the threads in head are only deep enough for the bolts when they are trough the egr pipe flange. mine were just thick enough.

Damn dont think they are...

Ill just go to autozone and get new shorter bolts I guess.
Old 09-07-05, 11:51 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

I'm not really sold on EGR block off plates. What is it really accomplishing? Unless the 2JZ is different then most engines I have looked at, the EGR turns off under WOT. Which is when you want the most power, correct?

It won't really correct any manifold coking, most of that comes from hung open valves and rising gases from the combustion chamber after the engine turns off.

Having a EGR also allows for better fuel mileage and a cooler running engine.

Weight? Thats gotta be it
Old 09-07-05, 09:31 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

I remember a few persons commenting that using the EGR system will cause your cylinder #6 to run lean when the car is NA-T? This is the only reason I can see for removing the EGR system... Can someone more experienced chime in pls?
Old 09-08-05, 10:02 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

The y shaped intake pipe will get covered and I mean covered with crap from the egr valve on the complicated narrow passegeways from the EGR valve. Anyways so far I spent less then 4 bucks on these so.. Im going to try it.

I might need washers which I have.. to make up for lack of width.. well see how it turns out.
Old 09-10-05, 12:10 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Ok I did it..

As mentioned previously I made my own egr plates from lowes sheet metal.. (which can be found on same aisle as water heaters aisle 15 for most stores..) Then went to the aisle next to it and bought some washer (aisle 16 for most stores.) And I bought a pack of washers, a pack of phillip screws that looked the right size.

Well when i took the whole egr thing off there were a whopping 3 lines left? I took a line out, looped the left line over to the right lined... so it plugged itself.. and capped the middle one. Using a cutter and a drill and a spare egr gasket.. I made the plates out of the piece of steel. Although ghetto looking.. (I just made 2 rectangular pieces..) It fit perfectly. Concerned over the steel being to thin for the stock screws thanks to ki's warning I used the washers to solve that problem.

I used 2 washers for the top plate and 6 for the bottom one. Turned the car on... no hesitations.. no hiccups no vacuum leaks! Put all my egr stuff in a bag so it may be used 1 day every 2 years...

Time spent making the plates.. .I dunno hour? piece of steel was pretty though to cut..

Time removing egr system and installing plates.. 15-20 minutes?

At wot car seems slightly more responsive but that could be the placebo effect, but where it does seem mroe responsive DEFINITIVELY is in the low end and the transition time from going from normal driving to wot. And even in the low rpms 2000ish rpms it is definitively more responsive even at wot. So it seems to have a slight positive effect on the much lacking low end on this car. But hey for 6 bucks its a bargain!

Oh.. 3 of those bucks were for a pack or resistors I bought from radio shack.. online cause im to lazy to go to radioshack.. I havent gotten them... but eh.. if I get a cel code 71 f it, ill just reset it when I install the resistor..

Ill post pics when im not feeling as lazy .. (probably tonite.)

I used the 50 bucks in purchasing Tom lower radiator temp sensor and Tom's radiator cap... which was more then 50 bucks..... ah..
Old 09-10-05, 01:50 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many lines does the egr have?,.., which lines are runnign to eachother and which are capped?

Quick Reply: mohdparts egr removal kit.