Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rebuilding the 1UZ-FE to 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-05, 09:56 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try and check on the serial # in the next couple days.
I am very impressed with the results gained from that twin turbo project; wouldn't have guessed that that much power would come from a couple used turbos welded onto a stock, smogged out motor! And it sounds like the lack of low end power is a good thing, the loads will be way better on the moving parts that way.
Old 01-02-06, 09:53 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCV8
I am very impressed with the results gained from that twin turbo project; wouldn't have guessed that that much power would come from a couple used turbos welded onto a stock, smogged out motor! And it sounds like the lack of low end power is a good thing, the loads will be way better on the moving parts that way.
Used CT-26 turbos Yes.
Welded onto the motor? I don't understand. New manifolds were made to bolt on to the motor, and turbos. The entire exhaust is custom from the headers to the tips.
The motor was also rebuilt using ross 8.5:1 compression pistons.
We did reuse all the bolt hardware (Head/Main/Rod) and installed a new factoy replacement headgasket.
The rod and main bearings are original with i think 150,000 miles. We were amazed at how good they looked. so far motor had had lots of beating, on all factory parts (Other then pistons)

Factory parts yes, but it was cleaned, and rebuilt.

Here is a link to Lextreme which has pictures of the 1UZ-FE Rebuild
http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3930
Old 01-19-06, 08:37 AM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

That TT SC400 is soooo clean. This is making me think of not doing a swap on my car. I also have an SC4 and I love it. Just needs more power.
Old 01-24-06, 06:40 AM
cip
Pole Position

Bob- Your car looks great!! & I'm very pleased to hear someone is putting up some big HP #'s on the v8!. Where in Illinois are you from? Chicago -area?
Old 01-24-06, 08:35 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Im wondering why no one has gone to a universal ems for these cars. you spend all this money on the engine build but nothing for tuning. aem has a universal ems that would work great, yes its expensive and yes its a pain in the *** to wire but would help more than any chip you can get for the car.
Old 01-25-06, 08:43 AM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

"....i want to have the power just to step on the gas at 30mph and just spin them..."

Ehh, you already do, just throw a couple temporary use only doughnuts on the back, you'd could blow the tires off for a country mile...

Jim your claim of unichip only for OBDII cars worried me, John disagrees and has one in use which comforted me. Can you back up your claims? Where'd you get your info? I have a weapon-r ecu/unichip ready to install into my 95 SC400, but I need a wiring diagram or pictures.

John I found some more info about the unichip doing more searching. What i found doesn't help me much, as it's the wire color plan of the pinout of the unichip and nothing about which wires go to the stock harness...

John is trying to look for me and take pictures of what wires go where on his weapon-r/unichip for me but he's got two youngsters keeping him really busy.

If anyone out there could get me the instructions for which wires on the pinout go to which wires of the harness I'd really appreciate it. Trying to get info from weapon-r or unichip is useless because of how relatively old the unit is.

Can anyone help?
Old 01-25-06, 12:06 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4urxtc
That TT SC400 is soooo clean. This is making me think of not doing a swap on my car. I also have an SC4 and I love it. Just needs more power.
Thank you. The motor makes big power pretty easy with boost.
Chris (Chrisman) is working on a set of headers for the 1UZ-FE that keeps the AC.
he has a link on Lextreme about it.

Originally Posted by cip
Bob- Your car looks great!! & I'm very pleased to hear someone is putting up some big HP #'s on the v8!. Where in Illinois are you from? Chicago -area?
Thanks.
The car was built in Palatine, IL
and yes I am in the Chicago area. Prospect Heights.
Old 05-25-07, 08:24 PM
visi0n
Rookie

Jim Meader,
How did you get 4.9Liters when you used Tundra Pistons and a Tundra crank? displacement should be the same as a Tunda. 4.7Liters.
Old 01-19-13, 05:30 PM
vardantuz
Driver School Candidate

Why not just strengthen the internals and valvetrain and get it to rev to the moon? Higher revs=More power right?
Old 01-20-13, 04:16 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rdm20, Im supposing you also have bigger fuel pump and a LSD rear diff? People wanting to make hot rods out of our cars should have a complete laundry list of upgrades. I had a 87 Grand National and when I added up what it was going to take to make it fast I quit. Of course I also hated the old style steering box and body rust that our cars do not have.

Last edited by over40driv; 01-22-13 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 12:30 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by over40driv
rdm20, Im supposing you also have bigger fuel pump and a LSD rear diff? People wanting to make hot rods out of our cars should have a complete laundry list of upgrades.
Hey Over40driv,
Boy do I have a laundry list! I don't even know where to start. there are very few things on the car I have not taken apart.
Would you belive me if I told you I have stock injectors, and an new stock fuel pump.
It's true, but I also have a second set on fuel injectors, and a second fuel tank, and fuel pump. .
The motor runs on the stock toyota ECU/injectors. This makes drivabilty great.
Once i hit 3 psi a secondary injecter controller starts firing a second set of 880cc injectors. I had this system running of a second pump in the stock tank. This is how I made the 510HP.

I now plan on running E85 in a second tank, that comes on as the motor hits boost.
This should help me with the fact that I'm still running stock timing as the E85 should be more forgiving to the advanced timing.

I'm still using the stock rear-end housing, and stock 3.96:1 gear, but I did upgrade to the auto TT supra torsen carrier.

I had trouble with the stock auto, and now have the Supra 6-speed getrag trans.
Old 01-22-13, 05:27 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that Ive fixed my afore spelling errors. Sounds like you know what your doing. Seems like there are diff. ways of making more H.P., most involving a lot of money. Id love to add about 10 lbs of boost and an inter cooler to my car, but until Im serious Ill lighten and keep it tuned. Turboing looks like a lot of work, and I want to keep the stock computer.
Old 02-01-13, 11:19 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by over40driv
Now that Ive fixed my afore spelling errors. Sounds like you know what your doing. Seems like there are diff. ways of making more H.P., most involving a lot of money. Id love to add about 10 lbs of boost and an inter cooler to my car, but until Im serious Ill lighten and keep it tuned. Turboing looks like a lot of work, and I want to keep the stock computer.
10psi is probably to much on a stock 1UZ if you do water/meth injection you can probably pull it off, but the problem with water injection on the side inlet 92-97 1UZ's is I don't think the same amount of water will go to all cylinders as it's a very sharp 180% turn to 2 cylinders. you would probably want to put a water injector in each runner.

at 7psi I made 370hp at the back tires, and I didn't have any trouble (you do have to reienforce the rear cam seal or you will have a 2 inch hole spitting oil all over the back of the motor. Trust me :-(
At 12 psi I melted the stock pistons, and ended up having a connecting rod that was slightly twisted.

On a stock motor I would try and keep the boost about 5-8psi This drastically changes the car though. That and the trans can be upgraded to live through it. 5psi caused 2 stock trans's to slip right away. I had to upgrade the clutches.
Old 10-27-13, 09:14 PM
datoa15
Driver School Candidate

Default 1uz 5 ltre

where do i buy a 1uz 5.0 litre stroker kit or a complete bottom end stroker
Old 10-30-13, 01:10 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Not sure if David's health is back but here's a link to info from Lextreme about his stroker kits.

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showt...?t=8882&page=2

Quick Reply: Rebuilding the 1UZ-FE to 5.0L