Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rebuilding the 1UZ-FE to 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 11:17 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott,

I am not trying to attack you. However, there are so many members in here are just talk and very few actually DO. Its much easier to talk and most of the members are very good at it. Matter of fact most have an engineering degree, but again they are all talk, complaints and BS. Very few actually open up the engine and do the work.

Most members repeat what people type in the forums and trying to tell others about it. People complaint that I dont have an engineering, but i do more work than most engineers. Lets stop the talk and start the WALK.

Last edited by Lextreme; 10-23-05 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-23-05, 12:34 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

Lex, NO offense taken, but... this is a fourm thread. The original post is about a stroker kit and Nitrious. As the thread went on dicussion asked about other aspects of the 1UZFE. The way you question my thoughts seemed as if you were telling me I did not know what I was talking about. The facts I stated are facts and the thoughts are my thoughts. Because no one but Jim Medders has really tried to build that motor is why I beleive what he says. Yopu seem to contridict those facts, but then are Venting on me.

What were your Tundra VS LS crank difference measurements ?

I agree that I see too much posting of what someone is going to do on the 1UZFE. I posted a Zex install, Unchip programing, Exhaust build and have "WALKED" everything. I think my 97 SC4 will take about 98 % or more of the 1UZFE's out there ( not yours YET ! ). I am now working on other engine changes ( no Turbo or SC ) as my motor is out and at my builders shop and will make no claims until done and dyno posted. Again please review this threads entire post and don't worry I am not offended because I walked my walk. One point to you is that I base HP on Dollars Spent VS HP.
EX. I have spent about $12 per HP gained. I'm guessing you gained about 180RWHP additional with your Mods. If you spent what I spent that would have cost ypu about $2160. Care to disclose what you real HP Vs $ spent numbers are. I'm guessing $ 10 - $20 Grand.
If not I understand.
Much respect to you for your project and good luck on your next stage.

Last edited by jgscott; 10-23-05 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-09-05, 06:58 PM
Jim Meader
Driver School Candidate

Default real #s 4.9 liter 240 rwhp on dyno

The real problem with our motors is that to get any real HP gains you have to put a new computer in the car, the potential is there, but a Lexus computer will not get you there.

Facts the Tundra crank is a drop in, slight shimming was required to connect Transmission, the difference in stroke is in the ths.=, not significant

The Tundra motor has larger pistons than our SC's giving it more displacement.

I used my SC rods, Tundra pistons ( shave 20-30ths ) and netted a 9.6 static compression.

The SC motors utilize steel sleaves, I had new sleaves made for mine ( this is how you increase the bore on our motors. The key here is to have a very experienced person with a lot of practice ( on some one elses motor ) press these sleaves in. ALL YOU POWER is dependent on this connection.

At the time I did mine the best option was to clean up the stock cams and provide a slight increas in lift. Warning the shims used to install your cams are $8-12 a piece and you have 32 oppertunities to need new shims.

Best bangs for the buck;

headers helps at all rpms and feels like better torq

torq convertor - lets our motor rev a bit more before tranny kicks in

cams if a good set has been identified could make a big difference with all the above

BFI air cleaner cheap and effective

Bottom line a small block chevy starts at 400HP is smaller than our motor so it will fit, can be used with a 4-6 speed stick shift easily, and does not weigh that much more to impact handeling.

If I had the money I spent on my conversion, I would have the Heart Beat of America in my Lexus.
Old 11-09-05, 08:17 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Jim,

Its time for a GT35R on your 4.9 Liter or LS1 swap...
Old 11-09-05, 09:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

This is one of the best options for the SC400 computer. This is what Weapon R was using a few years back and they had some of the same gains. http://www.dynoperformance.com/artic...ails.php?ID=10

Thanks Jim for advise about the Crank diff, that's excatly what I was trying to say. I have long beleived some time ago that your motor was only Cams to breathe, and ECU tunning away from making some much bigger unleashed big HP gains.
Old 11-11-05, 11:19 AM
Jim Meader
Driver School Candidate

The Unichip application is for OBDII cars, and mine is a OBDI.

The chips is a great starting point, as it will have the greatest impact, and then all the other things you do will be enhanced.

My wife and I really like our SC400 and have enjoyed the car even more with the additional power and handeling.

A new plug and play computer replacement would set the Lexus world on its head, as it is truely the missing link in all that we do.

I am currently checking out a reported little know fact that there is a small community up in the Gold Country of California that does not have to have smog inspections. If true super charger and new computer are not far away.

If not then may have some cams made up, becuase for me at this point they are a limiting factor.

Lets keep moving froward with the SC400 - Jim Meader
Old 12-27-05, 11:58 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

5.0 is possible:

Tundra Sleeves
Stroke 1UZFE crank from 3.25" to 3.50"

Finaly Bore is 3.70" with .010 over
Final Stroke is 3.50"
Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding the 1UZ-FE to 5.0L-3.710_3.50.jpg  
Old 12-28-05, 07:49 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Stock Lexus ECU
Stock rods
Stock Headgasket
Stock rod, head, and main bolts/studs
Stock cams
Ross 8.5:1 Pistons, additional injector controller and 2 sets (16 total stock lexus injectors)
2 CT-26 Toyota turbos, and 17 psi

510RWHP
"BOOST" the Displacement Replacement

I'll let you guys get back to posting what you are going to be doing
I have to go drive my lexus now
Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding the 1UZ-FE to 5.0L-dyno-510.jpg  

Last edited by rdm20fan; 12-28-05 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-28-05, 08:14 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang Bob!!!! You and Chris are really putting up some fantastic numbers!!!!! How is the tranny holding? Last I read, Chris was doing some modifications to the stock tranny?
Old 12-28-05, 10:41 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Unichip will work on pre '95 cars; it's what I have had since Weapon R offered the units loaded with a program to suit our cars. Since then I have had to adjust (increase)the fuel pressure for some fine tuning after additional mods to the intake ports,MAF, and a much larger aircleaner.
The best bang for the buck came after I cleaned up the intake ports, but then again I would not have been able to appreciate those gains as much without the Unichip.

I would predict that a good increase in displacement would yield a bit more torque, and the hp coming in at a lower rpm with not much increase, unless the heads were opened up, along with larger intake runners of some sort.
Old 12-28-05, 10:47 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Was the unichip customized in any way to work with the pre 95's ?

Or is it more or less "plug and play"?
Old 12-28-05, 11:32 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lextreme
5.0 is possible:
Has anyone done this yet? Ive heard of the SC490 with the 4.9L V8. It would be nice to see a 5.0L SC500.
Old 12-28-05, 02:00 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Dang Bob!!!! You and Chris are really putting up some fantastic numbers!!!!! How is the tranny holding? Last I read, Chris was doing some modifications to the stock tranny?
The trans, and everything else is really holding up well. (Knock On Wood) we did give up some low end with the lower compression, and stall, but once boost comes on, the car is a monster.
Last night Chris was doing a burnout, and smoked tires through 3rd gear, until he ran out of room. the car had to be doing 60MPH with the tires pouring out smoke, and this on my brand new drag radials

I'm gonna try and get some video, because I couldn't belive my 400 was doing that!

Last edited by rdm20fan; 12-28-05 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 02:14 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
The trans, and everything else is really holding up well. (Knock On Wood) we did give up some low end with the lower compression, and stall, but once boost comes on, the car is a monster.
Last night Chris was doing a burnout, and smoked tires through 3rd gear, until he ran out of room. the car had to be doing 60MPH with the tires pouring out smoke, and this on my brand new drag radials

I'm gonna try and get some video, because I couldn't belive my 400 was doing that!

Way to go Bob!!! It is VERY exciting to see/hear of a 400 doing these types of things!!!

Keep up the great work!!! You guys are inspiring me to research the boost route for my 400.
Old 12-28-05, 08:31 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCV8
The Unichip will work on pre '95 cars; it's what I have had since Weapon R offered the units loaded with a program to suit our cars. Since then I have had to adjust (increase)the fuel pressure for some fine tuning after additional mods to the intake ports,MAF, and a much larger aircleaner.
The best bang for the buck came after I cleaned up the intake ports, but then again I would not have been able to appreciate those gains as much without the Unichip.

I would predict that a good increase in displacement would yield a bit more torque, and the hp coming in at a lower rpm with not much increase, unless the heads were opened up, along with larger intake runners of some sort.
Hey SCV can you tell me what Model Unichip that is you have. Its on the 1st letter of the serial #. Is it an A or a C version ?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Rebuilding the 1UZ-FE to 5.0L