Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rebuilding the 1UZ-FE to 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-05, 04:54 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont waste your money on custom rods...
Old 09-01-05, 01:10 AM
Chris92SC4
Driver School Candidate

y not what rods should i do i want rods that will hold up to 700hp or 1000hp
Old 09-01-05, 06:24 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris92SC4
y not what rods should i do i want rods that will hold up to 700hp or 1000hp

Chris, definatley not trying to hate on you here, but from looking over your game plan, I just can't see how you're going to push 700-1000 hp from stroking the motor. Even with completely custom internals, I can't see the 1UZ getting past roughly 350-400 at the crank. With Nitrous, maybe 550? I mean a monster fogger system to get you to 700 just seems impractical and strictly for track use, and in order to get that motor built to run well on that much spray wil be totally unstreetable. Is your goal to make a track only car?

I love your idea, and I really hope it all comes together. I just don't want you to set expectations too high and be real disappointed it your results were not what you were looking for.
Old 09-01-05, 09:01 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

For anyone who cares...

There is Soarer that has been stroked to 5L in Japan (and also made into a drop top) the owner is an English guy who lives between Japan and the UK. As far as I know he bought the car already like that via Yahoo Japan...

He might have some info on it's build maybe, He goes by the name of 'Thrust' on :
Toyota Import forums

Old 09-01-05, 12:03 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gamer
For anyone who cares...

There is Soarer that has been stroked to 5L in Japan (and also made into a drop top) the owner is an English guy who lives between Japan and the UK. As far as I know he bought the car already like that via Yahoo Japan...

He might have some info on it's build maybe, He goes by the name of 'Thrust' on :
Toyota Import forums

He is also on CL here.
He has the C's kit.
Old 09-01-05, 12:31 PM
Gamer
Pole Position

Fair enough, you would be more likely to get a response from him on TIF as he is a regular there...

Whatever works
Old 09-01-05, 06:14 PM
Chris92SC4
Driver School Candidate

y wont these motors push out alot of hp...chevys can push 500 hella easy....i want to have the power just to step on the gas at 30mph and just spin them...how much do these motors come stock...when mine was stock i ran a 15.5 with 280,000 miles on it...

thanks

chris
Old 09-01-05, 08:03 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

y wont these motors push out alot of hp...chevys can push 500 hella easy....i want to have the power just to step on the gas at 30mph and just spin them...how much do these motors come stock...when mine was stock i ran a 15.5 with 280,000 miles on it...

thanks

chris
A normal Chevy (350) is 5.7 liters. The lexus is 4.0. That means the Chevy is almost 50% bigger than the 1uz. To get an LS1 to 500rwhp all motor is not very easy. To be honest, I don't know if anyone even has, without boring /stroking to a 427.

To be honest, your following quote tells me all I need to know:

and i never really had a car to show off before all my cars have been stock execpt for intake and exaust
Old 09-02-05, 06:35 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by sc300tt
A normal Chevy (350) is 5.7 liters. The lexus is 4.0. That means the Chevy is almost 50% bigger than the 1uz. To get an LS1 to 500rwhp all motor is not very easy. To be honest, I don't know if anyone even has, without boring /stroking to a 427.

To be honest, your following quote tells me all I need to know:

It all about displacement. I am also into american muscle cars and have built a few monster engines (or at least been a part of the build), and with a Chevy SB, the motor needs to be bored & stroked, + we're starting with a block that is over 400ci to begin with. By the time we're done, displacement is up between 454-468 ci. Which translates to close to 8 liters. That's double the dispacement than the 1UZ. With the Chevy, the engine is completely custom, which again is something we don't have the resources for with the 1UZ. Final figures on a Chevy SB at that size usually yields 700hp and 650-750 lb/tq. Again, this is all dependent upon cam selection, roller ratios, intake layout, etc.

Without somesort of FI on the 1UZ, there just isn't enough out there to build up a N/A motor to the specs you are mentioning, without some SERIOUS cash outlay.

And to answer your question, your 92 SC400 was rated at 250hp at the crank from the factory. It has now been pretty much agreed upon that that number was inflated and the output was probably a lot closer to 225 at the crank.
Old 09-02-05, 07:42 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by mkorsu

It all about displacement. I am also into american muscle cars and have built a few monster engines (or at least been a part of the build), and with a Chevy SB, the motor needs to be bored & stroked, + we're starting with a block that is over 400ci to begin with. By the time we're done, displacement is up between 454-468 ci. Which translates to close to 8 liters. That's double the dispacement than the 1UZ. With the Chevy, the engine is completely custom, which again is something we don't have the resources for with the 1UZ. Final figures on a Chevy SB at that size usually yields 700hp and 650-750 lb/tq. Again, this is all dependent upon cam selection, roller ratios, intake layout, etc.

Without somesort of FI on the 1UZ, there just isn't enough out there to build up a N/A motor to the specs you are mentioning, without some SERIOUS cash outlay.

And to answer your question, your 92 SC400 was rated at 250hp at the crank from the factory. It has now been pretty much agreed upon that that number was inflated and the output was probably a lot closer to 225 at the crank.
Than what do we have at wheels... Jeeze I thought this car had alot more power to it to the wheels than that. I mean at crank 225? Than wheel is much less...
Old 09-02-05, 07:59 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Koma
Than what do we have at wheels... Jeeze I thought this car had alot more power to it to the wheels than that. I mean at crank 225? Than wheel is much less...

You might have a bit more Koma, I'm not sure if there was an increase in 94. I'll check over at Intelexual.
Old 09-02-05, 09:51 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the 1UZ has tremendous potential, but it will take serious bucks to get big HP numbers.

The 1UZ breathes very well. I believe biggest obstacle will be the cams due to the complex VVTi system.

More engine displacement usually requires better breathing. I am sure the exhaust ports can be worked a bit to improve flow and the intake might benefit from mild porting or even Extrude Honing. You'll need custom camshafts and a way to control the VVTi- perhaps even a stand-alone engine management system with all the engine tuning that will go along with that.

You might just start with a 4.7 liter Tundra V8 block, which has essentially the same engine architecture as the 1UZ. The 4.7 liter's deck is taller to accommodate its' longer stroke- a great way to get some built in displacement, and best of all stroke (= torque). Once you get all this put back together with the 1UZ heads, you might need to modify your car's hood to accept the additional engine height.

Or, you can add a pair of turbos... hard to beat as far as bang-for-the-buck...
Old 09-02-05, 09:55 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I think the 1UZ has tremendous potential, but it will take serious bucks to get big HP numbers.

The 1UZ breathes very well. I believe biggest obstacle will be the cams due to the complex VVTi system.

More engine displacement usually requires better breathing. I am sure the exhaust ports can be worked a bit to improve flow and the intake might benefit from mild porting or even Extrude Honing. You'll need custom camshafts and a way to control the VVTi- perhaps even a stand-alone engine management system with all the engine tuning that will go along with that.

You might just start with a 4.7 liter Tundra V8 block, which has essentially the same engine architecture as the 1UZ. The 4.7 liter's deck is taller to accommodate its' longer stroke- a great way to get some built in displacement, and best of all stroke (= torque). Once you get all this put back together with the 1UZ heads, you might need to modify your car's hood to accept the additional engine height.

Or, you can add a pair of turbos... hard to beat as far as bang-for-the-buck...

He wouldn't have to worry about the VVTI since his is 92. The turbos are definately the way to go!!! Chris' initial plans were to get 500rwhp while staying NA, which I was explaining would be VERY difficult without tremendous cash outlay.
Old 09-02-05, 02:37 PM
Chris92SC4
Driver School Candidate

what year tundra motor do i need...and will it bolt in? well i guess if i want at least 650hp i will have to put a turbo on it...
Old 09-02-05, 02:43 PM
Chris92SC4
Driver School Candidate

ok so new plan im going to use the tundra block with the tundra crank and im going to bore that motor out...then im going to use my heads with bigger valves port and polish, and bigger cams then im going to use the 98+ intake manifold from a 98 sc400 then bigger injectors and stuff like that. how does this sound

Quick Reply: Rebuilding the 1UZ-FE to 5.0L