Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Looks like we may have lost another SC400...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-05, 06:22 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looks like we may have lost another SC400...

If we can't get the problem fixed expect this car to be sold off for parts... We would sell it as a whole but with 230k+ miles on it it won't fetch for much.

Well the problem is that the transmission doesn't want to shift half the damn time. (up or down)
The gear revs way too high before it switches gears. And sometimes when coming to a stop the gears don't downshift until a couple of seconds after I'm stopped.
Tuesday I broke down on the side of the highway on I-95S, the transmission just let go and didn't want to do anything. Put some throttle on and it would just rev.
Last night after supposedly it was fixed (more on that in a second) I drove it around trying not to throttle too hard. Well hell I don't want to drive my car like a grandma all the time. So I gave it a little punch everything sounded normal until I hit the rev limiter.... SWITCH GEARS!!! SWITCH!!! I let the throttle fall back down. Ok decided driving it hard was a bad thing. I tried to drive it nice again, driving it normal speeds... tach goes beyond 2.5k rpm.... over 3.5k rpm.... heading towards 5k rpm... WTF! Finally gear shifts... next gear.... same thing.... third gear seems fine. Although didn't get to test it out on the highway so I couldn't get from 3rd to 4th. No way was I taking the chance of breaking down on the highway again.
So before this entire mess, we found out that my car's tranny mounts needed to be replaced. No big deal, got those replaced. Then the Tuesday issue occurred. Went back... cleaned all the crap that was in the transmission out. Supposedly the filled the tranny back with fluid. Than last night...

Last night after the engine was flying away at 6k+ rpm, I smelled burning...

So guys tell me what the hell is wrong with my car...

I think it's more of an issue with low fluid. Could a transmission burn trannny fluid? (Hence the burning smell and the need to refill tranny fluid)

Any ideas? If we end up not fixing the tranny problem we could possibly just let the car sit in the garage and after a little testing of VSSc's 5-spd swap. I could just buy another car for now (might be a good thing the V8 is eating too much gas) and save up some extra cash to go for a 5-spd swap.
Old 08-18-05, 07:13 AM
PHLSingle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were banging into the rev limiter before...did a flush and now smell burning. My 2cents? You're smelling burnt clutches in the tranny...when you bang into the rev limiter - it's the clutches not holding the power - thus, you punch the gas and it revs like it's neutral right?

There are also bands in the tranny that could be shot. If your motor is all stock, your fix could be as simply as rebuilding your sc400 tranny to factory specs - find a good shop & it'll be good as new...a few hundred bucks (unless you wanna get crazy with the build!) - but after 230k miles....eh, not too bad

Jay
Old 08-18-05, 07:31 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll see what happens. I'll have my mechanic take another look. It would be a huge pain to take the TC out to see if the gears are fubar'ed. But if the TC is done, I may keep the car for the purpose of doing VSSC's 5-spd swap. Still waiting on him to test out his ride... C'mon VS... I want to know if it works.
Old 08-18-05, 08:31 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

get a tranny for 600 and install it, problem fixed.