Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhuast Symphony (Story, Pics, and Vids....Oh My!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-05, 11:02 PM
Lexologist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Exhuast Symphony (Story, Pics, and Vids....Oh My!!!)

SC400 VVT Yawner to Sleeper

Friday, I receved my new exhaust setup at my local muffler shop. (Much love to jgscott for the setup)

First thing Saturday morning, 8 oclock. to begin the transformation.

Bye Bye Stock 4 muffler system from #@ell....

I know it hurts baby, hold my hand. Remember no pain, no gain.

Now where does this go?.....

I need 300cc's stat!...of Compressed O2.....

I had to leave it in the hands of the professional for now, there was nothing I could do for her...

Last edited by Lexologist; 07-31-05 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-31-05, 11:03 PM
Lexologist
Driver

Shes a fighter DOC.....

Great to have you back dear. You scared me for a moment......

Um....X-Chamber/ Lingerie......

Stock mufflers for sleeper sound......

Officer, there is no way that sound was coming from my Lexus. Did you see that Mustang that passed me?....

Old 07-31-05, 11:05 PM
Lexologist
Driver

The proof is in the pudding...

(Right-Click, "Save Target As.." to view all)

Here is a sound clip in my garage afterwards.... Listen with Bass and equalizer....um ...BEEFY!

http://66.246.254.99/english/New Exhaust.mp3

Late Night Vid w/ Powerbraking

http://66.246.254.99/english/Car and Car 059.avi

Late Night Vid w/ NO Powerbraking!!

http://66.246.254.99/english/Car and Car 061.avi

Well it took 1 full day, but I am happy. Now just need some headers.... now where can I find those?

Overall, it was great. Sound, plus performance. Plus I launch better without powerbraking....

Last edited by Lexologist; 07-31-05 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-01-05, 12:12 AM
happypanda
Lead Lap

that junk sounds like a mean mustang...heh
Old 08-01-05, 12:38 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That sound SICK..... Just awsome. Good work . You did a 2.5 in X-pipe with stock mufflers right?? How much did it cost you??
Old 08-01-05, 10:37 AM
Lexologist
Driver

Originally Posted by JamesN
That sound SICK..... Just awsome. Good work . You did a 2.5 in X-pipe with stock mufflers right?? How much did it cost you??
I purposely lost the receipts..... I dont know if I even want to know.

Ballpark figure with the mandrel bent system from exhuast manifold to rear muffler entry, high flow cats, plus quarter day labor.... im right under $950 somewhere.

Got to pay to play.
Old 08-01-05, 10:44 AM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

wow that sounds freakin mean way to go, thats a sleeper!
Old 08-01-05, 10:52 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds mean! did you feel any performace gains by the "butt in seat"-o-meter?
Old 08-01-05, 11:27 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexologist
I purposely lost the receipts..... I dont know if I even want to know.

Ballpark figure with the mandrel bent system from exhuast manifold to rear muffler entry, high flow cats, plus quarter day labor.... im right under $950 somewhere.

Got to pay to play.
High flow cats? These already have high flow cats. Wish you would have PM'd me. Please do not toss your stock cats. I will take them if you do not want them.
Old 08-01-05, 11:33 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good man
Old 08-01-05, 12:10 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Great job ! Sounds so deep and throaty. How did you peel your tires off the line without powerbraking? I could rarely do that in my old SC4. Do you have any other mods?
Old 08-01-05, 02:34 PM
Lexologist
Driver

Originally Posted by Cloud9
sounds mean! did you feel any performace gains by the "butt in seat"-o-meter?
Yeah, definately after resetting the ECU. If downshifting at the right moment, I can chirp tires passing between 30-40.

Originally Posted by laxdude362
Great job ! Sounds so deep and throaty. How did you peel your tires off the line without powerbraking? I could rarely do that in my old SC4. Do you have any other mods?
Ummm...maybe

Dragon Torque converter, SRT intake, plus a little sugar and spice and everything nice

BTW- I killed a BMW M3 on that same night. It was a convertible in my neighborhood cutting through traffic and passed me on the right. Graphite black w/ unmistakeable M3 markings. New dealers tags, spotless, filled with 2 of the guys friends (1 female, 1 guy).

I was looking for some action to test my new setup, so I stepped on it to the next light and leveled up to the line to his right.

There was an upcoming Cop car while waiting for the green, but he turned into the adjacent Gas Station. To through caution into the wind, we both rolled off the line to give us some distance... at 30 I puched it, he gunned his inline 6.

I was slowly pulling away until 80, where my Lex stepped up to easily trot away with the victory. After 4 cars and 110 PLUS, I applied the brakes and pulled over to his lane. I thought I would give him a chance to go at it again.

He did a ricer flyby and I decided not to follow. At the upcoming light he was turning the opposite direction, where his friends were looking for the Lex that blew out their host for the night.

I smiled, then felt guilty for ruining his new car fun.

Oh well, I still slept well.

And to think I was shopping for an E46 M3 before I bought the SC.....
Old 08-01-05, 02:39 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
High flow cats? These already have high flow cats. Wish you would have PM'd me. Please do not toss your stock cats. I will take them if you do not want them.
JB I gave him those CATS, those are Random Tech Metal Substrate CATS model # 702550.
The Lexus CATS that he has and I have are the same model I believe. My reaseach show that Lexus did not use the Metal Sub CATS until after year 2000-2001 in some cars. At any rate Random does confirm the the Toyota? Lexus CATS are some of the highest flowing CATS out there among the stock CATS.
The theory behind running the Random XCATS was that right after the Headers and especially the JB Headers, that is where you have the highest dump in Hot Exhaust gas flow rate. I am running a pretty big shot on Nitrous and his plan was to soon do the same. For comparision here are some accurate flow numbers I used to compare. If I am correct that system he has and the system I have may support way more HP but with Nitrous keep a good flow of around 400-450 CFM. This is using the stock Mufflers wiich BTW I don't know why anyone takes off. They are straight 2/14 inlet, 2/15 out let and 2 1/2 inside chamber. Opened up inlet to 2/ 1/2 should flow around 400 + CFM.

At 28 inches of HO2:
2 1/2 Straight pipe 1 ft long flow = 528 CFM.

Random CAT # 702500 flow = 483 CFM

Toyota Supra CAT same as on SC model 400/300 Flow = 410 CFM
In this case with the JB headers in mind the Random CATS should be seen by the system as almost Straight pipe mounted in the stock position.

Here are some other links about Exhaust building for CATS to Mufflers end to end. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...re/0505em_exh/

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/41960/

This link was not where I got the CAT flow data from but does back up the data in that their 2 1/2 straight pipe is flowing close to the same.http://www.broaderperformance.com/index.html

Last edited by jgscott; 08-01-05 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-01-05, 03:13 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Nice job, stealthy execution; stock mufflers are great, best I've seen by far, totally surprised me anyways.
That car runs like they all should.
Old 08-01-05, 03:56 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow... now that was impressive. you must have some great mods too, becuase the E46 M3 putts down 333hp.. as you probably know. either that or he didnt know how to drive... either way... good kill.

Quick Reply: Exhuast Symphony (Story, Pics, and Vids....Oh My!!!)