Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Alternator amps help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-05, 02:43 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator amps help

put a new alternator in today and it read that at idle its putting out 27+ amps. from what i was told it should be really low like 3-4. i dont have a system or anything to be using all this at idle and i dont know any other explanation as to why this could be happening.

anyone know whats goin on? maybe a loose/disconnected wire or its touchin somethin? any help is muuuuch appreciated right now. thanks.
Old 07-21-05, 02:47 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is you battery light on? If not, then its within tolerance. And the stock alternator puts out 100 amps (Im not sure exactly what the means, but 27 at idle could be right)
Old 07-21-05, 02:56 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

battery light isn't on. it was when the old alternator died and now i have the new one in. i'm not too knowledgable on this subject and just goin by what i was told that it should be at 3-4amps at idle. if it helps any this is a new alternator i got from lexus.

right now there is no actual problem. its the fact that the guy mentioned that it's putting too much power out for some reason and it can die out early and i don't want another alternator problem any time soon down the road

thanks for the input.

one more thing, if it's possible can someone check theirs? id like to see where i sit here if it's not too much trouble for anyone.
Old 07-21-05, 06:17 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaynArt
put a new alternator in today and it read that at idle its putting out 27+ amps. from what i was told it should be really low like 3-4. i dont have a system or anything to be using all this at idle and i dont know any other explanation as to why this could be happening.

anyone know whats goin on? maybe a loose/disconnected wire or its touchin somethin? any help is muuuuch appreciated right now. thanks.
thats normal. dependon on what u have on in ur car.

ie head lights radio and ac/.heat
Old 07-21-05, 07:24 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

that i can understand. its just the guy sayin it sits too high even though i'm just idling and not even using any headlights or anything that kinda trips me out right now. i'd like this alternator to actually last for more than 6 months not like the last one.
Old 12-08-06, 08:02 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 to 4 amps wouldn't run your blower and headlights and radio at idle-- Don't listen to him--

Amperage of an alternator is a function of rpms-- fast idle at cold start = 1100 rpms-- highway cruising = nearly 3000 rpms= 3x idle output-- or about 80 amps..

I seriously doubt alternators are rated at 3000 rpms but I could be wrong-- tach it up to like 4500/ 5500 rpms and see what your amps are...

If you're still nervous take it to oreilly's and they'll load test it for free--

And remember -- an alternator will create power whether or not it's being used-- so it doesn't require accessories to be on for it to begin making power-- it makes it all the time-- whenever the engine is turning it-- but the voltage regulator does help control it's output to keep it from killing the battery.
Old 01-06-07, 06:52 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A battery problem could cause eratic alt. amperage output. I would have the battery prof. tested. If it is good and fully charged, then I would be more concerned with a voltage reading. Attach a volt meter to the battery terminals, on d.c. voltage, raise the rpms up and down, and turn on acc. while somone is watching the meter. Min. 13.0 max. of 14.6 volts.
Old 01-07-07, 05:13 AM
hybridrift
Driver

Originally Posted by over40driv
A battery problem could cause eratic alt. amperage output. I would have the battery prof. tested. If it is good and fully charged, then I would be more concerned with a voltage reading. Attach a volt meter to the battery terminals, on d.c. voltage, raise the rpms up and down, and turn on acc. while somone is watching the meter. Min. 13.0 max. of 14.6 volts.
+1 and i have to fill in space because this was too short
Old 01-08-07, 10:23 AM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by over40driv
Old 01-08-07, 10:33 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

alternators are designed to have max output b/w 2000 and 3000 rpm...

27 at idle is normal... 3-4 amps wouldnt be enough for the car to even run @idle