Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Nitrous Part I

Old 07-20-05, 07:58 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,255 Likes on 997 Posts
Default SC400 Nitrous Part I

Well as I had been talking about.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159485

I installed my Zex dry kit and tested it out a little last night. I am doing a 3 Stage/Part Engine mod on my 1997 SC400. This is the 1st Stage refinement at this time. My objective is 340 - 375 Rear wheel HP at a cost of around $ 10 per HP. Don't really want to go more than that for stock engine stress and stock Transmission durability. I had my kit installed for about 4 weeks now but have not filled the bottle or Sprayed until last night. Here's breifly what happen and I will update post as my progress continues.

Right now my Engine Mods are BFI w/K&N drop, Zex 2 stage Colder Plugs, Custom Mandrel Stepped Tapered exhaust, Walbor 255 High flow pump, Aeromotive Adjustable FPR, Zex Dry Kit, Hobbs fuel pressuse safty switch and Unichip. My base line Dyno pull with all above Except Nitrous, Unichip, and Adjustable FPR was 234 RWP in 99 Degree Temp with 70% Humidity.

The guy helping me build is a Master performance engine Builder/Tuner of about 40 years. He's known nationally for High Performance V8 Racing engine building with NHRA and NASCAR. He installed the Unichip after taking some base line Dyno, Fuel Cruve & A/F ration, and timming readings. After 5 or six different types of problems from fitting to tunning ( thats a Lexus for ya ! ) and me bugging him about if my motor can take a 100 shot, he growled at me to leave him alone and he went to work with his Dyno, laptop, Pocket palm, and calculator. I left him alone

End result, I decided ahead of time that I did not want to see the dyno #'s until each of my 3 stages was complete, so I don;t know what I ended up with. As he set up and activated my Zex Nitrious kit for the 1st time while watching him Dyno, I saw a big cloud of smoke come from the rear wheels . The cars was spinning and burning my big rubber wide 18 inch wheels on the Dyno. He left a black burnout tire mark on the passenger side Dyno wheel. After a few runs and adjustments. When finished he told me I would like it and insisted that I go drive around the block a few times and activate the Nitrous. So I did. The car Fly's ! When I stepped in it at about 35 Mph it spun the rear wheels and lifted up in the front. It built instant power fast. NO lag ! It pinned me in the seat and the 1st 2 things I thought about were in this order :
1. I need better brakes !
2. This reminds me of my friends built 383 stroker 1983 Z-28.
OK so I come back with a big *** smile on my face and say to him " I think I might back down from the 100 hp Nitrous Jetting because it's big time quick and I don't need that much power right now "
He stares at me smiles and laffs and says "Don't worry I know how to blow em up. I wanted you to drive it and get a feel for it. I know you wanted to run the 100 shot but..... I only installed the 50 shot untill we finish fine tunning it. "
My objective is a progressive 125 shot ! ( Think Todd @ TM ran 200 -300 Shot ??? )
Sorry for such a long post but stay tunned !

Last edited by jgscott; 07-20-05 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-20-05, 10:16 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!! lol i wonder what your expression was when he told you that he had only set it at 50hp. how much does a zex system like that cost??
Old 07-20-05, 10:58 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alpha8A
WOW!! lol i wonder what your expression was when he told you that he had only set it at 50hp. how much does a zex system like that cost??
Depends on what you get. I got a bottle warmer and Purge kit too. Check Ebay.
Old 07-21-05, 12:37 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn! I want dyno #s !!!

What kind of tire and what size btw ?

Last edited by AME_VIP; 07-21-05 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-21-05, 10:33 AM
thebanez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well nice to see some info on this topic deff. let us know what happens with it. How much was it to install?
Old 07-21-05, 11:42 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

LOL at 50hp shot being "big time quick"
Old 07-21-05, 03:04 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc300tt
LOL at 50hp shot being "big time quick"
From You I accept and see what you are saying but.......... think about this.
A motor you're use to makes about 230 RWHP. You Dial in the computer for let say 25 HP gain. Add 50 Shot NOS with Intake and EXhaust Mods. Theres no Turbo or Supercharger waiting to kick in so the responce is instant with Nitrous. It's a V8.

Lets do the Math. = 32% instant increase in power.

I love your car and your web page. You 1st had Nitrous on your car. Think you ran a 80 shot on the 6 Cylinder.
To steal a quote from you page in your own words :
" The difference taking off from a stand still was night and day " On your 80 shot LOL

If you increased your 300tt motor output by 32% would you be able to feel it ? Well ?

Last edited by jgscott; 07-21-05 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-21-05, 04:44 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
From You I accept and see what you are saying but.......... think about this.
A motor you're use to makes about 230 RWHP. You Dial in the computer for let say 25 HP gain. Add 50 Shot NOS with Intake and EXhaust Mods. Theres no Turbo or Supercharger waiting to kick in so the responce is instant with Nitrous. It's a V8.

Lets do the Math. = 32% instant increase in power.

I love your car and your web page. You 1st had Nitrous on your car. Think you ran a 80 shot on the 6 Cylinder.
To steal a quote from you page in your own words :
" The difference taking off from a stand still was night and day " On your 80 shot LOL

If you increased your 300tt motor output by 32% would you be able to feel it ? Well ?
Oh, I'm sure it's very noticable, but your statement about "backing down from the current jetting" which was then a 50shot, is just humorous., as if it's just frighteningly, uncontrollable power.
Old 07-21-05, 05:45 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Oh, I'm sure it's very noticable, but your statement about "backing down from the current jetting" which was then a 50shot, is just humorous., as if it's just frighteningly, uncontrollable power.
Clint Heres what you said about a 80 Shot : Quote from you on your web page.

Laughing Gas

" About a week later, a 80 hp dry shot of NOS was installed. A remote bottle opener and bottle heater were also installed for optimum results. The difference taking off from a stand still was night and day. Those big 275's on the rear would hook up and I was gone. It also obviously helped on the top end but it wasn't as dramatic as the new and improved low end. The sound of the exhaust while spraying was throaty and powerful, no weed-wacker engine here. "

I think one difference is that I could not hook on my 275's. I spun my wheels every time I nailed it. I know you understand Nitrious and that "50" was adjusted with less fuel 2 times. Leaning the fuel mix ups the Nitrous HP right ! I'm not trying to compare HP with your car but..... I'm not sure what your point in posting is. I think you read too much into and or overanalizing comments. Where did I say it was " frighteningly, uncontrollable power " BTW Most of us know that you have a very, very, much faster car if thats what you are trying to say.

Last edited by jgscott; 07-21-05 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-21-05, 07:39 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
Clint Heres what you said about a 80 Shot : Quote from you on your web page.

Laughing Gas

" About a week later, a 80 hp dry shot of NOS was installed. A remote bottle opener and bottle heater were also installed for optimum results. The difference taking off from a stand still was night and day. Those big 275's on the rear would hook up and I was gone. It also obviously helped on the top end but it wasn't as dramatic as the new and improved low end. The sound of the exhaust while spraying was throaty and powerful, no weed-wacker engine here. "

I think one difference is that I could not hook on my 275's. I spun my wheels every time I nailed it. I know you understand Nitrious and that "50" was adjusted with less fuel 2 times. Leaning the fuel mix ups the Nitrous HP right ! I'm not trying to compare HP with your car but..... I'm not sure what your point in posting is. I think you read too much into and or overanalizing comments. Where did I say it was " frighteningly, uncontrollable power " BTW Most of us know that you have a very, very, much faster car if thats what you are trying to say.

LOL. My posts where mostly poking fun at the way you made the 50shot sound, not trying to assert that your car is slow or that my car was much faster. It was just funny how you mentioned "backing down" because you don't need that much power.

As far as "leaning" the Nitrous shot increasing the HP, well, that is not the case unless the car is running rich without the spray, or the shot is incorrectly setup to being with. A 50shot should only produce 50hp.

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything as I'm sure you are enjoying your new setup, I just posted cause I thought it was a little humorous!
Old 07-21-05, 09:55 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

LOL. My posts where mostly poking fun at the way you made the 50shot sound, not trying to assert that your car is slow or that my car was much faster. It was just funny how you mentioned "backing down" because you don't need that much power.

As far as "leaning" the Nitrous shot increasing the HP, well, that is not the case unless the car is running rich without the spray, or the shot is incorrectly setup to being with. A 50shot should only produce 50hp.

That was the case and reason the Fuel changes were leaned.

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything as I'm sure you are enjoying your new setup, I just posted cause I thought it was a little humorous!
This was just working on Stage 1. I know you are at another level but over 300 RWHP is not Slow on a SC400. . Its going to take a little time but, more than double that NO2 shot., some flow mods, and fine tunning will put me at 375 which is my goal. No more no less. Then I can put my project to sleep. Not many people running up on a SC400 will expect that type of power to be there. End result will be about a 45 % total increase over stock.
Old 07-21-05, 10:29 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

How big a dry shot do you plan to run?

I'm happy someone has takin the plunge on a SC400. I want to run nitrous as well and I will be following your progress feel free to post any pics too !

thanks
Old 07-22-05, 07:26 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
How big a dry shot do you plan to run?

I'm happy someone has takin the plunge on a SC400. I want to run nitrous as well and I will be following your progress feel free to post any pics too !

thanks
Thanks. Plans is 125 shot with everything tuned correctly and all the safty features.
Old 07-22-05, 07:32 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

Ive had my NOS dry manifold kit installed for nearly 1.5 years now and at 50 shot the car is marginally faster. Wasn't anything as dramatic as yours and i now am running a 100 shot dry and the car now pulls decently quick. It keeps up on roll races w/ my stage 2+ s4 pretty good. The mods i have are:
Weight savings (c/f hood, supra seats, no spare tire)
Engine wise: Msd window switch, 2 range colder plugs, walbro 255 high pressure pump, Dry manifold kit, BFI, and full 2.5 exhaust w/ x pipe.
Pre nitrous w/ above mods car ran 14.997
50 shot : 14.78
Haven't run the 100 yet
Old 07-23-05, 12:08 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I'm going to restate one other thing here that I don't think some picked up on.

This is one other important mod that I am running with the Zex kit. http://www.dynoperformance.com/artic...ails.php?ID=10

It's helps alot to fine tune your motor with mods on a dyno with someone who knows how to tune.

Last edited by jgscott; 07-23-05 at 12:12 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC400 Nitrous Part I