Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-01, 10:13 PM
C Spec
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to buy an SC300 and build a custom turbo kit. I know that there are many kits available but I want stock compression, no additional injectors, and a simple side mount intercooler.

The issue that I am unsure of is the fuel system. I plan on running 5 lbs initially but obviously I will want more boost later. Can I use a stock intank fuel pump and injectors from a Supra TT? What kind of tuning device would I need to use? FPR and S-AFC work?

This is my current plan... (suggestions welcome)

$300 Supra NA-T Manifold
http://www.thepartstrader.com/single...3&adnum=164640
$400 TD04 w/ Wastegate
$40 1st Gen DSM BOV
$60 MKIV SMIC

K&N Filter
Boost Gauge
EGT Gauge
FP Gauge
Piping

Anything missing?

Thanks in advance,
Peter Cudmore

Last edited by C Spec; 06-30-01 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-07-01, 08:32 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TT injectors won't work well without a VPC or similar.
high impedance v.s. low impedance.
I don't know of anyone using a FPR on a TT or SC300. It sounds like it COULD work, though.
Easy way is to get an aux injector controller and run extra injector or two.

An open air BOV also won't work with stock MAF.

Unless you really know what you're doing, I'd leave it to the experts. If you can get some of the parts on your own, great, but having Toyomoto do the piping and fitting work is a good idea. The hard pipes are difficult to get right, otherwise, even a small boost leak will cause rough running and or lack of boost. You'll spend a lot of time sourcing the problem.

From Lance, I'd ask for: the hard pipes, with plugs for two aux injector sockets, and the downpipe... At least then, you'll know everything will fit..
Old 07-09-01, 05:23 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please dont buy that manifold...it looks like its muffler pipeing and the quality .....i could do that in my back yard...that thing is a nightmare of a manifold...if you wanna go turbo....do it the right way...call toyomoto...otherwise your gonna end up killing the car....these motors are super strong if you do things right on them....please save up and do it the right way.....i have had my car running 11s for 2 years now with no problems..Jeff