Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Different types of ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-01, 04:41 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Has anyone ever tried alternative types of ATF in their cars?
I've noticed that these cars shift very soft under heavy loads and that just makes for an incredible amount of heat on the parts inside.The tradition for me with General Motors cars has been to use the type F fluid that has a high heat additive and also tends to shift a little more crisp than Dextron II.
Old 07-27-02, 05:10 PM
jket
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which type of ATF to use ?

I have been researching the transmission fluid types for my GS400 (since I always do my own work) and had hoped that I could use Dexron III since the Lexus T-IV is not easily available, but that is not to be since it is not designed for the V8 transmissions. I have worked with lubricants for many years on field machinery and know there are many formulations for the different types of equipment. So I will go to the Lexus dealer and get the T-IV for my transmission changes. To all I would recommend :

ALWAYS GO WITH THE MANUFACTURES RECOMMENDATION !!!!!

Don't second quess the manufacture or listen to a "shop mechanic" on which oils or fluids to use. By the way I like and use Mobil 1 - can tell you stories from the Mobil lube engineers on this great oil.

Good Luck !
Old 07-27-02, 07:38 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Dexron II and newer is the next best thing if you are stuck - I order Type IV from Toyota dealers - they can get the four litre can the next day usually. I have heard several stories of Dexron not working as well as Type IV - shudder seems to be the biggest complaint.
For more info check here:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott.../autotrans.htm

For the shift kit and TC listed here I don't know a lot about it. Here in Australia standard procedure is drive in, get the TC modified and oil cooler fitted and drive out.
Aftermarket TC's are unheard off locally.
Old 07-27-02, 11:04 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Toyota Type IV is the only type of ATF to be used.

I know they have a new version of Type IV out as of May 2002. Not sure of the name though. Search the forum I remember putting up a Part ##...
Old 07-28-02, 02:26 AM
black sc
Pole Position

If your car uses only T-IV then, use it. The flud from T-IV is somewhat thicker and Dexron is much more slippery. I don't know if it is the weight or consistency of the oil or what.
Anyways, it will make your transmission slip, leak, burn, and any other transmission problems. That goes for the Dexron recommeded cars also. I would assume.
Old 07-28-02, 09:20 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys,I've come to realize that Toyota has their own friction modifyers that work in conjunction with the clutches/electronic shifting in our cars.

Someone mentioned that there may be a way to adjust the shift pressures,and this interests me;any ideas there?

A slight improvement would help things last better under performance useage.
Old 08-01-02, 04:56 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I would expect it is the same for the 5 speed versions? I have heard of people using redline.