Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ swap issues... did I get ripped off? (wiring harness questions)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 04:01 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ swap issues... did I get ripped off? (wiring harness questions)

Well, I got my full swap for $1000 but it doesn't look like that great of a deal anymore.

Issues:
Shielded wires poorly wrapped in blue electrical tape... is that normal or did someone screw with it before I bought it? Also there were a few wires crimped together and wrapped in blue tape.

The main harness is complete but the wires near the diagnostic box are cut on both sides. We couldn't tell where they went, but a few of them seemed to run through the intake manifold towards the injectors / spark plugs / etc.

Are the power steering lines different from a 2JZ to a 1JZ because my 1JZ lines were cut when the engine was pulled from overseas.

Also, should the wiring harness be extended inside the engine bay or inside of the cabin? It seems people have done it both ways, but not sure what is the best.

Please help!!!!!! Thanks.
Old 07-14-05, 06:38 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you need to re-do your knock sensor wires.. Power steering lines are the same. You can extend the harness anywhere you like. Just make sure theres about 1ft or more of oem wire from the plugs for the ecu (for future reference)
Old 07-14-05, 11:52 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Thanks for the reply! Where do the wires near the diagnostics box go though? That's my main concern. (down the drivers side of the engine on the other side from the rest of the main wiring harness) It looks like they could go to the fusebox? If so I could be screwed.

As far as the wiring harness I guess we'll just extend it on the engine bay side where it's neater so we can see every extension much easier... then go and re-solder/shrinkwrap everything that has electrical tape over it so we can be sure it's all connected right.
Old 07-15-05, 12:04 AM
blksc300mt
Driver

i dont think the wires go into the fusebox...i think they just go into the rest of the harness that goes into the firewall. umm...i had a motor for like a few days until i compression tested it and had to send it back...and i only had a couple pics....so unfortunately the only one i have of the diagnostics box is kinda blurry...you can see it hanging there tho..i had unbolted it from the manifold so i could straighten out that bracket. im sure someone else has a better pic somewhere. https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...hp/photo/54496
Old 07-15-05, 03:20 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

LInes wrapped in tape? May be too short? Least of your concerns!

Guy this is NOT one of those drop and go swaps. You better be ready for a lot more sweat, and search your **** off in this forum for the years of info on swaps. This is a real pain. You might want to purchase the official swap guide.

good luck.
Old 07-15-05, 01:01 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

You don't have to cut and lengthen the ECU harnesses. They reach just fine. It's the five that plug into the kick panel in the cabin that are too short. Lengthen those while they are out of the car.

The power steering lines will match up with 2JZ.

It wasn't that hard of a swap. It took 5.5 hours to pull my old motor and about 15 to put it back in correctly. I still have 1 or 2 gremlins to work out so I wouldn't say it was perfect. I did research the hell out of this and had necessary parts available. I will say that you had better call your local Lexus dealer and make sure they have a motor mount or two in stock. They are a Lexus only part and not cheap. It's likely you will break one or both taking the 2JZ out.
Old 07-15-05, 01:20 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
LInes wrapped in tape? May be too short? Least of your concerns!

Guy this is NOT one of those drop and go swaps. You better be ready for a lot more sweat, and search your **** off in this forum for the years of info on swaps. This is a real pain. You might want to purchase the official swap guide.

good luck.
I knew there was a 2JZ swap guide, but there is also a 1JZ swap guide? I know how to search, and have been searching for info on two months, however I still can't find out where the wires near the diagnoistics box go. The wiring extension is no big deal.
Old 07-15-05, 01:57 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Got a picture?

I'm betting that they are the wires that go to the auto transmission. Mine were cut as well.

Last edited by Kaiser; 07-15-05 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-15-05, 04:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by JJG2005
I knew there was a 2JZ swap guide, but there is also a 1JZ swap guide? I know how to search, and have been searching for info on two months, however I still can't find out where the wires near the diagnoistics box go. The wiring extension is no big deal.
It's my understanding that it's close enough for reference. May want to double check.
Old 07-15-05, 05:48 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default swap

dont speak of something you know nothing about
You can find all the into you need to know on this wap on supraforms.com goto mk3 then 1jz section. alot of people on here are hear -say dont know the info first hand
Old 07-15-05, 07:29 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaiser
You don't have to cut and lengthen the ECU harnesses. They reach just fine.
To get the ECU to sit in its nornal location you need to extend it.

The power steering lines will match up with 2JZ.
I already said that

I will say that you had better call your local Lexus dealer and make sure they have a motor mount or two in stock. They are a Lexus only part and not cheap. It's likely you will break one or both taking the 2JZ out.
The Supra motor mounts also work.

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
dont speak of something you know nothing about
You can find all the into you need to know on this wap on supraforms.com goto mk3 then 1jz section. alot of people on here are hear -say dont know the info first hand
Hope your not refering to me

Last edited by got_trd; 07-15-05 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-15-05, 07:35 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Default refferal

Originally Posted by got_trd
To get the ECU to sit in its nornal location you need to extend it.

I already said that

The Supra motor mounts also work.

Hope your not refering to me
No Im not .
Old 07-15-05, 07:38 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

My ECU sits just fine under the black plastic cover. It's about 1" shorter than the 2J location. Double sided tape a presto....no wiring extention required for ECU.
Old 07-15-05, 07:57 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Default harness

My ECU sits just fine under the black plastic cover. It's about 1" shorter than the 2J location. Double sided tape a presto....no wiring extention required for ECU.
I really dont know how you made that work cuz I pushed 1jz harness thru firewall and plug never made it past the a/c blower so I had to extent 18"
Old 07-15-05, 09:55 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Don't know what to say. It fit no problem. I only extended the cabin plugs.

Quick Reply: 1JZ swap issues... did I get ripped off? (wiring harness questions)