Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket Intake Mani for Boosted GE setups?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-05, 11:03 PM
sniper
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Intake Mani for Boosted GE setups?

What kinda intake manifolds are out there for the GE motor that will relocate the TB to the other side of the motor, or can i just get away with buying an aftermerket aluminum GTE Mani like any cheep veilside copy? FYI, the motor is not going in an SC or supra, or anything toyota for that matter.........
Old 07-04-05, 11:05 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper
What kinda intake manifolds are out there for the GE motor that will relocate the TB to the other side of the motor, or can i just get away with buying an aftermerket aluminum GTE Mani like any cheep greddy copy.. FYI, the motor is not going in an SC or supra, or anything toyota for that matter.........
You won't run into any air flow issues until at least 600rwhp....... NaPerformance.com sells a Veilside style intake mani.
Old 07-04-05, 11:09 PM
sniper
Lead Lap

i need the hood clearence, but good info

Took a look at NaPerformance.com mani 900 bux , id rather just buy a cheepy ebay one, i dont need a race ready mani, im just doing it to move the TB to the other side of the motor, this way the pipeing is also simple. its a nice mani though, if only i had the $$$$$$$$

Last edited by sniper; 07-04-05 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-04-05, 11:51 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

i need the hood clearence, but good info

Took a look at NaPerformance.com mani 900 bux , id rather just buy a cheepy ebay one, i dont need a race ready mani, im just doing it to move the TB to the other side of the motor, this way the pipeing is also simple. its a nice mani though, if only i had the $$$$$$$$
Well buying a no-name intake manifold may give you flow issues... I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't carry research and testing. Just my two cents....
Old 07-04-05, 11:56 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
Well buying a no-name intake manifold may give you flow issues... I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't carry research and testing. Just my two cents....
Flow issues? as long as there is clearance from the runners to the intake manifold, there shouldnt be any issues of good or bad flow. Its only air thats traveling into 6 runners; not that complicating, and definitely doesnt need that much R&D. Just make sure it bolts up and has good clearance.

Same thing with an intake, all it is a pipe with a filter
Old 07-05-05, 03:36 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

a manifold for a gte isnt gona bolt onto a ge head...you would need to do somehting custom..i believe sp has done this before..
what car are you putting a 2jz into?
Jeff
Old 07-05-05, 05:15 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice to see you back in the game Jeff

gadgetSC-t
Old 07-05-05, 05:41 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

thanks gadget......its good to be back.....missed this car too much not to get another....

as far as flow issues....yes there can be major flow issues with an intake manifold.....it can add or rob alot of HP depending on deisgn and flow charastics...and further more its a different game totaly with forced induction vs n/a set ups......

if he is looking for a manifold that works....then it might not be a big deal....if he wants to make 600 hp and not toast #6 cylinder....it makes a differance
Jeff
Old 07-05-05, 08:20 AM
sniper
Lead Lap

This whole idea started after we pulled the GE motor out of my friends 92 SC, i was going to swap a 1J into my car, but iv got this 2J just sitting here so i was thinking to rebuild it, bolt on some twins and have at it. Anyone know the weight difference between a 1J and 2J?

Im only going for about 500ish hp right now. Seeing that the car is a tad under 3000 pounds, it should be enough power for a little while. After that ill want to use a 6 speed or stronger box. by the way, does anyone know if i can mate a R154 MK3 supra turbo trans to a 2J? I am under the impression that the R154 will hold more power then the W58, right
Old 07-05-05, 08:58 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

what car are you putting it in?.....the weight dferance iasnt much at all......there both iron block and aluminum head motors and both 6 cyl...so weight between the 2 motors is not much...and why do twin turbos...do a good sized single turbo
and how many miles are on that ge motor?.....condition...to make 500 hp you just need a head gasket..
Jeff
Old 07-05-05, 09:18 AM
sniper
Lead Lap

The car in question is a 90 240 hb. I didnt think the weight was very different. And they are the same dimentions i think............ I dont want to do a big single, im set on twins. .........The motor has only 130K on it. The guy who had the car before thought he needed to change the head gasket and i think he didnt install it right, so coolant got into the chamber. So im going to do a full tear down to see exactly whats going on and make sure there isnt any damage......i know i could make 500 off stock internals but ill see if i have the money for internals. the motor is going ot be apart anyway, might as well build it

Last edited by sniper; 07-05-05 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-05-05, 09:39 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

im doing a 2jzgte into a 89 coupe 240.....
are you sure you need to swap over the intake mani for height?

your gonna need a different oil pan on the motor your using unless it came out of a gs300

are you doing 2 big turbos?....the plumbing is gonna be very tight under the hood...unless you do a 1jz with stock twins......i would serioulsy do a lil rethinking
Jeff
Old 07-05-05, 10:23 AM
sniper
Lead Lap

nice........

Ya height and i just want to change it to get the turbo away from the TB

ya i know it'll be tight, im not totaly sure i want to go with the 2J, i didnt know i needed a different pan and what not. I also have ABS so thats not helping any. I may just go with a sinlge but im going to try and stuff in a twin setup. Or i could scrap the whole 2J idea and stick with a 1J the 1J is simple and easily done but 3 liters is already small and the 1J is 2.5, even smaller. I dont really want to use the 2J but the motor is just sittinger here and it would be like getting the motor for free, so i was thinking to use it. All i know is either swap is going ot be bad azz, any pix or info on your swap?

Last edited by sniper; 07-05-05 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-05-05, 04:52 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

no flow issues from a no name brand intake mani?? not to be mean but r u retarded?! did u not see the flow chart difference between the virtual works manifold and the veilside?? the vw outflowed the veilside by over 100 cfm. find it on supra forums its stickied somewhere. if u actually want to make some seriously horsepower i wouldnt buy some cheap manifold that will flow horrible. remember u always get what u pay for.
Old 07-05-05, 08:32 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

The car in question is a 90 240 hb. I didnt think the weight was very different. And they are the same dimentions i think............ I dont want to do a big single, im set on twins. .........The motor has only 130K on it. The guy who had the car before thought he needed to change the head gasket and i think he didnt install it right, so coolant got into the chamber. So im going to do a full tear down to see exactly whats going on and make sure there isnt any damage......i know i could make 500 off stock internals but ill see if i have the money for internals. the motor is going ot be apart anyway, might as well build it
Goodluck on twins on a GE head... and good luck fitting them into the engine bay

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Intake Mani for Boosted GE setups?