Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

my version of the bfi... or should i say bfs? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-05, 04:40 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my version of the bfi... or should i say bfs? (pics)

well i did the bfi but i did my own version.. i guess it can be called the big f'n scoop. i used the huge space behind the foglight where the smic on the soarer's are to put a scoop that goes up to the stock intake box, which i cut the front off of. my intention was to mabye get some ram air effect when the car is in motion... im not sure if it worked that way though

anyways, heres the pics. hopefully it will inspire some new ideas

Last edited by Xevuhtess7; 07-03-05 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-03-05, 05:00 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

BFS LOL ! Looks neat. I have been thinking about ( dreading working on something like that myself.
I think If you still seal the chamber in tho it will help more ( like BFI ) took me a long time to figure out but I think the chamber around the air box helps keep the pressure in there where the filter istaking in air. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-03-05, 05:03 PM
KidPandJ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't go through any deep puddles. Looks like you could suck some water up in there.
Old 07-03-05, 06:08 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, Id be more concerned about following behind some big truck on the highway while its raining or something. Looks great, and combined with a sealed BFI would be awesome, but I would still be concerned about getting water in there.

PS. What color's your car man?
Old 07-03-05, 06:20 PM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
Hmm, Id be more concerned about following behind some big truck on the highway while its raining or something. Looks great, and combined with a sealed BFI would be awesome, but I would still be concerned about getting water in there.

PS. What color's your car man?
lmao i dont know wat color that is too im guessing black but just dirty..? n e wayz that looks very intresting gain alot of hp? let us know, but like everyone said im worrie about water getting in....
Old 07-03-05, 09:36 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have somethin similar done but i just used laundry tubing so that some air is still there to reach the brakes. i have this in conjunction with a cold air box and an injen intake. problem is the ram effect does give it more power, but the thing is you have to be moving..... so off the line it may not feel any different until you get up there in speed.
Old 07-03-05, 10:06 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

i dont really feel much of a difference... mabye a tiny gain up top if im already moving. but it probably doesnt do much in 1st gear. right now the path to the airbox/filter from the scoop isnt really sealed off very well im just having a hard time finding heatshielding that wont require me to buy a whole 20 dollar roll just for 2 square feet

on the highway i was just glad that the thing didnt rip apart into 50 pieces from the force of the air on the scoop i cant really tell if it helps acceleration.. i think it does though but im not sure. might just be a mental thing or it jus tmight not make enough power gains to be noticeable.

oh yeah and my car is black.. its just dirty

Last edited by Xevuhtess7; 07-03-05 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-04-05, 07:17 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not keep that set up, if I were you, and if you value your car...That will almost surely pull large amounts of water into your intake, and you will experience hydro lock. You are then done!! Go back and read the work Peter Scott did on the BFI on PlanetSoarer...You will see the reason for the pressurized Chamber in the front nose of the car, it naturally filters out the bugs, water, etc. It also holds in place pressurized air just waiting for you to open up that throttle...

Ryan
Old 07-04-05, 07:52 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

This scoop should be fine in regards to not hydrolocking the engine. First, there is a hell of an amount of vertical in the set up which means that the water has a decent bit of gravity to fight before it gets into the intake. Second, the scoop is still open to the rest of the engine and isn't sealed with the intake. This should prevent too much negative pressure which will also prevent any sucking in of water.

This is probably one of the best CAI I've seen on this site. It is much better than that retarded idea of directly putting the intake where the opening in the bumper. As long as Xevuhtess7 doesn't drive at high speeds in 3 feet of water, he should be fine.
Old 07-04-05, 09:11 AM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

im well aware of the danger of hydrolocking. i had pretty much the same principle type of intake on my other car, with a cone filter directly behind the hole in the bumper and i never had a problem with hydrolock. im not saying im invinsible, i will be very careful when it starts to rain. ive actually thought about putting together some kind of cover or shield that will easilyi bolt on in case of heavy rain that i can jus tkeep in the trunk with me

some more driving impressions: i think it does help a little bit when im moving, for example i was cruising around 3 grand in second gear and if i go full throttle i feel like the car takes a shorter time to start moving cause it'll already have an abundance of air to fill the intake. i think throttle response is improved as well because when i rev in neutral it revs a slight bit quicker, but that has nothing to do with the scoop, that is from just cutting out the front of the airbox to allow for more flow. i will stay modest and say that this is by no means a significant improvement, but i believe the improvement is there.
Old 07-04-05, 02:59 PM
jacques
Pole Position

I really like it, I've done some similar ducting with foam pieces. No hydro lock issues since the water would have to makes a few turn and travel several inches vertically to make it into the filter. Planet soarer actually detail a simmilar setup here: link

You should think about making a top cover next and seal of the filter so all the intake air gets pushed through the filer and not lost to the engine bay.
Old 07-04-05, 03:55 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by verylost
This scoop should be fine in regards to not hydrolocking the engine. First, there is a hell of an amount of vertical in the set up which means that the water has a decent bit of gravity to fight before it gets into the intake. Second, the scoop is still open to the rest of the engine and isn't sealed with the intake. This should prevent too much negative pressure which will also prevent any sucking in of water.

This is probably one of the best CAI I've seen on this site. It is much better than that retarded idea of directly putting the intake where the opening in the bumper. As long as Xevuhtess7 doesn't drive at high speeds in 3 feet of water, he should be fine.
I can respect your opinion, but am not convinced by your statement. Here is an excerpt from Peter's writings on the SS pipe he tested and was not satisfied with..."But there is more bad news. Every little bit of sand, grit and bug that enters the inlet will bounce along the piping and hit the the filter. This got so annoying for a Soarer owner (I forgot your name - who were you?) I met at the LAOR meet that he took it off and put it in his pool room in disgust. The airbox kept filling up with dirt and water (not much water) and bugs. On the way home during a 8 hour test session of the stormwater intake through all sorts of weather day and night I inspected the intake and the airbox. Sure enough there were numerous bugs wedged in the filter. There was sandy grit at the bottom of the airbox. Looks like no water made it up the sharp incline of the stormwater intake though which is a good thing. The airbox remained dry and any water that hit the inlet area drained out again. But cleaning bugs out of the filter and vacuuming sandy grit out of the airbox is no fun (worse than a pod)."

Even though he did not get much water, he still had concerns. And sand, debris and bugs were a definite problem.

I still am not convinced that this design is safe when there is lots of water on the road...Even with my properly made BFI, I found small amounts of water laying in the tray right in front of the airbox after driving in hard rain conditions, but never on the filter, or in the airbox. That water had to travel from the center of the nose of my SC all the way over to the airbox, and under the headlight to get there. Granted, it was not a lot of water, but with your recommended set up, I would think that it would be much, much more conduscive to water entering into the airbox.

But, it is your car, so do as you please. If you also read further, Peter was not satisfied with the SS intake enough to keep it on his car. He instead created the BFI III, and seemed satisfied with that.

Ryan
Old 07-05-05, 08:51 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400T
I can respect your opinion, but am not convinced by your statement. Here is an excerpt from Peter's writings on the SS pipe he tested and was not satisfied with..."But there is more bad news. Every little bit of sand, grit and bug that enters the inlet will bounce along the piping and hit the the filter. This got so annoying for a Soarer owner (I forgot your name - who were you?) I met at the LAOR meet that he took it off and put it in his pool room in disgust. The airbox kept filling up with dirt and water (not much water) and bugs. On the way home during a 8 hour test session of the stormwater intake through all sorts of weather day and night I inspected the intake and the airbox. Sure enough there were numerous bugs wedged in the filter. There was sandy grit at the bottom of the airbox. Looks like no water made it up the sharp incline of the stormwater intake though which is a good thing. The airbox remained dry and any water that hit the inlet area drained out again. But cleaning bugs out of the filter and vacuuming sandy grit out of the airbox is no fun (worse than a pod)."

Even though he did not get much water, he still had concerns. And sand, debris and bugs were a definite problem.

I still am not convinced that this design is safe when there is lots of water on the road...Even with my properly made BFI, I found small amounts of water laying in the tray right in front of the airbox after driving in hard rain conditions, but never on the filter, or in the airbox. That water had to travel from the center of the nose of my SC all the way over to the airbox, and under the headlight to get there. Granted, it was not a lot of water, but with your recommended set up, I would think that it would be much, much more conduscive to water entering into the airbox.

But, it is your car, so do as you please. If you also read further, Peter was not satisfied with the SS intake enough to keep it on his car. He instead created the BFI III, and seemed satisfied with that.

Ryan

The poster's design and the SS inductions intake are different designs. The SS intake is directly fitted to the intake air box. Thus you have a continuation of negative pressure from the intake to the SS unit. In the poster's case, his scoop is not CLOSED with the air box. His scoop is open to the rest of the engine bay and thus eliminating much of the negative pressure, In lay men's terms, the scoop is less likely to suck in debris. The scoop built by the poster will function primarily by positive pressure from the outside as a result of forward motion (aka driving). If the poster wants to take an additional step to filter out debris, I would put in a wire mesh (chicken wire) to filter out leaves and such.

The SS designed and the scoop made in this thread are fundamentally different. The quote from planetsoarer does not really apply to this situation. http://planetsoarer.com/coldintakete...ntaketest.html

Just for fun, the poster could cool his scoop with liquid nitrogen so that whatever moisture reaches that area would freeze and thus prevent hydroclocking
Old 07-05-05, 10:39 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by verylost
The poster's design and the SS inductions intake are different designs. The SS intake is directly fitted to the intake air box. Thus you have a continuation of negative pressure from the intake to the SS unit. In the poster's case, his scoop is not CLOSED with the air box. His scoop is open to the rest of the engine bay and thus eliminating much of the negative pressure, In lay men's terms, the scoop is less likely to suck in debris. The scoop built by the poster will function primarily by positive pressure from the outside as a result of forward motion (aka driving). If the poster wants to take an additional step to filter out debris, I would put in a wire mesh (chicken wire) to filter out leaves and such.

The SS designed and the scoop made in this thread are fundamentally different. The quote from planetsoarer does not really apply to this situation. http://planetsoarer.com/coldintakete...ntaketest.html

Just for fun, the poster could cool his scoop with liquid nitrogen so that whatever moisture reaches that area would freeze and thus prevent hydroclocking
While I agree with you that this poster's design is not exactly like the SS, and it is not directly connected to the airbox, there are several issues I believe should be addressed to improve upon this design. But, I do not have the time or desire to continue to debate this...or to continue to discuss the many nuances that could be modified to make it better.

All I will say is good luck, and good designing...

Ryan
Old 07-05-05, 01:51 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, you should do a write up on this, and make a template for all the pieces!

Quick Reply: my version of the bfi... or should i say bfs? (pics)