Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

everyone with a 2JZ GTE in their sc

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 09:01 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default everyone with a 2JZ GTE in their sc

which motor do you have USDM or JDM.
i have been looking at buying one for my sc and i cant decied if buying a jdm half cut is worth it or finding a usdm motor is a better idea. all info welcome help a brotha out
Old 06-28-05, 09:05 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

usdm if u wanna try and pass emmissions
Old 06-28-05, 09:07 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by audi2nr
usdm if u wanna try and pass emmissions
i live in Mississippi there are no emissions
Old 06-28-05, 09:47 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Im running the Usdm in my car. I'd wait out and try to get a usdm engine if you can.
Old 06-29-05, 02:29 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

jdm and i got an aristo motor as oppose to a supra motor as advertised when i purchased it so on top of the usdm to jdm diffrences i also had to change the oil pan as well. the extra money i spent probably would have covered the price diffrence from the jdm to usdm so i'd say go with usdm if possible. i couldn't wait any longer and couldn't find a decent usdm so i settled for what i though was a jdm supra motor. overall im just happy i have a 2jzgte.

~Kevin
Old 06-29-05, 10:44 AM
Jaguar
Driver School Candidate

The JDM 2jz-gte's map based. That's an advantage you wouldn't get with a USDM. However the JDM 2j turbos are different and the hp is less than the usdm (I believe something like 280hp vs 325 hp). So do you want more power out of the box and more difficult, more expensive modding? Or less power out of the box, but easier, more affordable modding?
Old 06-29-05, 11:15 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar
However the JDM 2j turbos are different and the hp is less than the usdm (I believe something like 280hp vs 325 hp).
The turbos don't make the difference, it's the boost level. Besides.. they are usually underrated from Japan. All you need to make the motor USDM is 550cc injectors, MAF, turbos off a US car, and the cams are slightly different.
Old 06-29-05, 11:57 AM
Jaguar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
The turbos don't make the difference, it's the boost level. Besides.. they are usually underrated from Japan. All you need to make the motor USDM is 550cc injectors, MAF, turbos off a US car, and the cams are slightly different.
Gee is that all? And why would you want MAF when the JDM comes MAP based? The ceramic turbos make a difference, but you're right, not as much as the injector and cam differences. But seriously, why would you want to convert to USDM? Just go aftermarket cams and turbos (single?).
Old 06-29-05, 12:13 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

the ceramic turbos will spool faster.... but more prone to cracking at higher boost levels..

the jdm one comes with 440cc injectors

and the cam differences is only at the intake side.... and its a very minute difference
Old 06-29-05, 01:14 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if there is a power difference between usdm and jdm 2jz-gte, its very small, the only reason for the 276 power rating on all jdm performance cars is because the car manufactures all came to an agreement in the 80's to limit production power levels to avoid the horsepower wars like we have over here in america, the agreement wasnt broken until recently by, i believe nissan, with the release of the z33
Old 06-29-05, 02:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

thats not true, i've seen dyno sheets of stock jdm 2jz and 1jzs are besides the torque curve and general powerband size, they get roughly the same amount of peak power

whereas usdm 2jzs dyno around 290-300whp bone stock... 320hp is underrated for the USDM motor... its more like 350hp

why switch from map to maf in this case? because the map has a flow limit at around 19psi doesnt it? its a 1.3bar map sensor... after that it cant measure the amount of air coming in whereas the stock maf can easily do it... (plus the maf and us ecu would already be calibrated for the larger injectors )
Old 06-29-05, 10:11 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default Wiring Harness JDM vs USDM different

The JDM based 2jz-gte wiring harness is not a direct plug into our US based SC's. The JDM harness is flipped around for the right hand drive (or is it left hand, whatever the hell, its opposite our USDMs). Some of the lengths are too short and some too long. You will need to be able to work with this stuff or buy a USDM based harness. That's a pricey part, ($650-700 I think from Carson or Elmhurst), its very hard to come by a used one in good shape.

imho, a front clip of a jdm Supra would bring you a wealth of needed parts that you will end up needing. Radiator, SMIC, Ignitor, Power Steering Res, better sway bar, the bigger front brake calipers, rotors, oil pan in the right place, motor mounts and other parts you'll end up needing. Do not underestimate what that is worth to just have the freaking parts sitting there on that clip, a virtual parts bin. Some of them seem to come with the Getrag 6-speed that you can easily sell for $2500 if you stick with your five speed, better keep your rwhp in the low 400's or you'll need that Getrag, but thats another bunch of money, search is your friend.

Last edited by SCoupe; 06-29-05 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-29-05, 10:58 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for all the info. i have searched and read alot. im stuck between buying a usdm motor with no cams, no stock turbos,no wiring harness but does have jdm intake, auto ecu and all other parts needed to make it work. or just buy a aristo clip with everything. i plan on going single so the usdm motor will help me in that department. but i need a wiring harness. i dont want to be stuck with a motor and no wiring harness. feel free to state your opinouns on what you might do. thanx
Old 06-29-05, 11:45 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Get a quote from Carson Toyota on that harness. Also, you've got to ditch that auto ecu to stay with your 5 speed. A fuel rail is easy enough to get, a 6-speed ecu going to be about $200 on SF, cams are practically given away there on occasion and I'd spend some time there reading the NA-T section. I'd spend some time there reading the NA-T sections, oh, I said that already.

Also, you need a different belt tensioner assembly for the manny tranny 2jz-gte, its built to absorb sudden shock that the auto tranny Supra or Aristo tensioners can not handle. The money pit is just getting warmed up. You also need a SupraTT suspension, sway bars and brakes all around...its a system, not just the TT engine.
Old 06-30-05, 02:20 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCoupe
Get a quote from Carson Toyota on that harness. Also, you've got to ditch that auto ecu to stay with your 5 speed. A fuel rail is easy enough to get, a 6-speed ecu going to be about $200 on SF, cams are practically given away there on occasion and I'd spend some time there reading the NA-T section. I'd spend some time there reading the NA-T sections, oh, I said that already.

Also, you need a different belt tensioner assembly for the manny tranny 2jz-gte, its built to absorb sudden shock that the auto tranny Supra or Aristo tensioners can not handle. The money pit is just getting warmed up. You also need a SupraTT suspension, sway bars and brakes all around...its a system, not just the TT engine.
its the TT engine chassis is the same... suspension upgrades ~$800-$1000 vs the engine $5k-6k ARE negligible in the scheme of things....

auto ecu works fine with the 6-speed or 5-speed tranny you just need to know how to wire it up... fuel curve is no different....
no point in upgrading cams as they wont give you much of an upgrade to begin with... if you're going to toss the cash for USDM twins, then just might as well spend the extra on a single setup

Quick Reply: everyone with a 2JZ GTE in their sc