Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So we've all heard about grounding kits...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-05, 12:17 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So we've all heard about grounding kits...

what about voltage stabilizers?

With all the mods and electrical stuff i've been doing (2 air compressors, a controller switch box, a computer, 2 amps, panasonic DSP, toslink -> digital coax converter, HIDs) my electrcial system is suffering...

lets put it this way... when i turn on my blinkers... my dash lighting dims along with the blinkers...

AND... you can here my engine idle dip slightly too along with the blinkers....

I think i need to get a grounding kit and look into this voltage stabilizer thing-a-ma-hoozit

oh yea... just ebay search for voltage stabilizer
Old 06-23-05, 12:25 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your electrical system IS suffering. You need more than a voltage stabilizer, you need more current capability. Sounds like your added wiring has really affected the system, and/or your battery and alternator can't supply the required current fast enough. If you don't yet have an Optima or Stinger battery, get one. You also need to add a grounding kit - TeckKit recommended.
Old 06-23-05, 12:40 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

yea i've got the optima yellow top.... and a new alternator (stock specs)

i'm making a ground terminal to wire some of the solenoids in the front straight to the battery...

i'm also planning to make a better ground strap and sand off the contact points on all my grounds.
Old 06-23-05, 09:43 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh sorry to interrupt but my afc is reading 13.0 volts when running?,. ,.is that getting too low because i am starting to hear static in radio/cd with the stock pioneer system.
Old 06-29-05, 01:30 AM
Dramon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always just make your own grounding kit. Pick up some 4 gage wire and crimp those thingies on the end and start grounding.

My old car had the negative terminal grounded to the chassis and leading coil pack ground. Had one running from the engine block to the strut tower. One from the alternator to the chassis, and finally one from the block to the firewall. Thats all I can remember, I probably had more.

Though if that doesnt fix your problem you've prolly maxed out the stock electical system. I dont know what stock amps the alt pulls but you may want to consider upgrading.

13v is not bad at all. Youre prolly hearing static becuase of bad radio signal.
Old 06-29-05, 08:32 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

stock alt puts out 90 amps... and mine is new...

yea i'm going to make a distribution block for both the negative and positive terminals of the battery.

Then take some speaker wire or something and ground the block, the head, alternator, and then misc points in the chassis.

I've got quite a few wires going to the pos terminal (HIDs, e-fans, amp power wires, etc...)

and then possibly buy a capacitor... and maybe.. just maybe try out that voltage stabilizer
Old 06-29-05, 11:56 AM
Dramon
Driver

Ouch, that kinda sucks. I'd upgrade the alt.
Old 06-29-05, 01:07 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

eh... its a new alt... high output alts run around 500 bucks...

i'd rather install a farad cap and be done with it
Old 06-29-05, 06:22 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

sun sells grounding kits and hyper voltage kits which supposedly increase hp and help out alot for only being around 100 bucks
Old 06-29-05, 11:47 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I read a a magazine about a year ago on a older Volvo that they installed a kit on and then Dyno tested before and after, It increased about 18 RWHP. They could not beleive it so they took it off redynoed and installed again . Showed 19 RWHP next time. They concluded that older cars may benifit as grounds get old and go bad. I have seen other test where it did nothing. Wish someone would dyno test a SC before and after .

Last edited by jgscott; 06-30-05 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-30-05, 08:54 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

well... i do have a 1992... and a 13 year old car is considered old to me...

i think i'm going to give those voltage systems a try.... ebay has'em for like 40 bucks.... though it might not be the SUn systems brands... i'm sure the technology has been out long enough that these other companies making them shouldn't be much different
Old 06-30-05, 10:48 AM
Dramon
Driver

It really shouldnt matter what brand it is.

All a grounding kit is wire straps that you bolt down to different places in your engine to ground.

And as to the age comment, even tho the SC300 is "older" the grounding system should still be pretty good just looking off how Toyota builds all their ****. Though more grounds definitely arent going to hurt it. In fact I think i'm going to do that to mine here in a bit too.
Old 06-30-05, 10:51 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

when i was talking about brands... i was referring to the voltage stabilizer systems... (ie. apexi super grounding system, HKS twinpower, SUN, etc...)

meanwhile... yes a grounding kit is a grounding kit.... just wires
Old 06-30-05, 12:01 PM
Dramon
Driver

Originally Posted by ummagawd
when i was talking about brands... i was referring to the voltage stabilizer systems... (ie. apexi super grounding system, HKS twinpower, SUN, etc...)

meanwhile... yes a grounding kit is a grounding kit.... just wires
oops my bad.

On that note, what exactly is a voltage stabilizer system. I dont think i've ever heard of those before.
Old 06-30-05, 12:42 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

i'm guessing it works in the same matter that a capacitor does (the caps you see heavily audiofied cars)

according to the instructions... you just place it inbetween the neg and positive terminals.... and prevents voltage spikes and dips.... it carries a charge that is stored for those moments.... that way the electrical system gets an efficient charge without anything power robbing it....

Quick Reply: So we've all heard about grounding kits...